How Do You Train A Kelpie Its Boundries?

i just feel horrible locking him in. He is kelpie and needs to run

Wish I had a dollar for everytime I heard this one! Kelpies need structured exercise, something with a purpose...even if it's catching a frisbee. But allowing them to run 'free' because you feel they need to run not only absurd, it's dangerous.

I live on property too and have 2 working line kelpies. They are contained within an acre of backyard space (fully fenced) most of the time and only go out to the paddocks if there is a reason to.

Do your kelpie a favour and get a dog run...at the very least :rofl:

the reason i cant fence off an area as it is our house paddock that is 5 acres, which is full of driveways, sheds, garden beds, a pool, its kind of hard to explain. When no one is home he is tied to an old flying fox about 100m long, so he can run up and down. I think my only option is to make sure i'm watching when he is running free. But again, thanks for the replies. And he did get bitten by a snake about 2 weeks ago, but we mate it to the vet just in time

the reason i cant fence off an area as it is our house paddock that is 5 acres, which is full of driveways, sheds, garden beds, a pool, its kind of hard to explain. When no one is home he is tied to an old flying fox about 100m long, so he can run up and down. I think my only option is to make sure i'm watching when he is running free. But again, thanks for the replies. And he did get bitten by a snake about 2 weeks ago, but we mate it to the vet just in time

Surely on that much land you have the space to build a run for him. It doesn't have to be huge but it will be a hell of a lot more safer than tying him to a flying fox or letting him run free :rofl:

I honestly don't understand why anyone would get a dog in the first place if they know they have no means to contain it.

Edited by huski

You have very nice neighbours. First time I pick a dog up I will return it but 2nd and subsequent times they go to the pound.

Get a fencing contractor out to talk about how you might make a day yard whilst still retaining access to your driveway etc. It probably doesn't even have to be an acre of containment.

A run need not be huge... and it can be snake proofed to a certain extent.

he is tied to an old flying fox about 100m long,

OK... if there is room for this setup.. then why not consider a long,narrow run in teh same spot?

Something to think on, too.... the more freedom/running you let your dog have- the more he will expect/need. if puppies are raised with 'down time' , regular exercise periods, daily mental exercise in the form of training ..then they adjust well to that lifestyle.

pups allowed to roam/chase are a bit like street kids- they can then have trouble becoming socially acceptable :rofl:

Edited by persephone

A run with fences is much better than tying to a flying fox, as they have more freedom of movement without being restricted by a lead/chain etc. The run does not need to be huge, certainly does not need to be 5 acres! I have a decent sized back yard that is fully fenced and my guys are fine there - they get training, walks, off lead runs and competing to keep them busy. Kelpies do not need to run 24/7, but need structure and mental exercise as much as physical exercise. There is a lot of training you can do in even a restricted amount of space when it is raining to keep them occupied.

ETA: and NO they do not learn to respect snakes by being bitten! Snakes kill dogs.

Edited by Kavik

Sorry, but I'm having trouble believing that this guy is for real. If dogs wander around here they usually get shot without any prior warning given to the owners & that is the way it is out on properties. Get real mate & put up a fence for your dog. Buy an electric fence from the produce store, put up a sturdy 1 metre high dog fence then run the electric wire (from the electric fence unit) about 30 cm above this.....simple easy & effective. If you can't be bothered putting up a fence to keep your dog safe & the neighbours livestock also safe, then find your dog a new home with someone who will care for him. I have over 200 acres with all the sheds driveways etc but I we had no trouble in fencing of not one, but two areas for our Border collie to enjoy herself in safely. She gets to go for a run when we take her. It's pretty hard to protect them from snakes while outside, but fortunately my girl knows to leave everything reptile alone, & she didn't learn that from being bitten, I think it is a natural intinct in most dogs

The fencing is for the safety and well-being of your dog.

It really is a commonly held misconception that Kelpies need to run and run all day and I hear it so often it's not funny.

We have two Kelpies (and yes even though one is a cross, he's crossed with a border collie which is also a pretty active breed), they're both from working lines and we don't live out on a property ... they live in an extremely suburban backyard and are very happy, non-bored and non-destructive ... They do run around like pork chops on occasion but while Kelpies can run all day, but they don't need to if they're kept sufficiently occupied. Our dogs don't even get a walk every day but they go to weekly obedience classes and their 'job' is that they get obedience and tricks training every single day ...

Although my experience with Kelpies is limited to my own two, from speaking with other Kelpie owners, Kelpies love companionship, things to do, food and having a job to do. Free-running for the sake of running is definitely not a prerequisite to Kelpie happiness ...

If you have a 100m Flying Fox to tie him to then you could convert that area to a dog run. 100m is more than adequate for a run. A run does not need to be big.

The belief that working dogs need to run is so incorrect. What does a famers dog do when not working? Usually curl up in a ball and sleep so they are ready to work when next needed. Farms do not need the dogs to be working 8 hours a day 365 days a year. There are many times where there is little to no work for the dogs so they have down time at those times. They do not want a dog that is go go go every hour of the day as it would be a nuisance much of the time. They do however want a ddog that is ready and able to go when needed.

A dog run, some mental stimulation in the form of training and supervised exercise is what is needed.

Pers gave you another great response as did kelpiei and kelpiechick.

Get some roll top mesh panels, some concrete slabs, some more mesh for the top. Wire it all together with a gate of some sort on the end, put the concrete slabs down and put a good quality kennel in it -placed under the shade of a large tree ideally and guess what you have an escape proof dog run.

You could make the run a couple of metres wide by 5 to 10 metres long and as long as he gets a couple of runs a day and some training he will be fine. You can also run some snake mesh around your dog run.

The more they run the fitter they get so they can do bad/naughty stuff for longer. He needs to be taught and trained and using his brain will tire him out far more than mindless running.

Edited by OSoSwift