How Do You Train A Kelpie Its Boundries?

I have a 1 year old kelpie and we live on a property so its is hard to give him an enclosed area. He often goes down the road and annoys my neighbors and i am always being called to come and pick him up. Does anyone know how to train him to stay around the house and not walk too far. Also, if someone could tell me how to teach him to stop chasing cars that would be a big help. I just find it hard because if he chases one, I will call him back and eventually he will come, but i cant tell him off after he has come to me, so it's really hard to catch him doing and tell him off then.

any replies would be helpful. thankyou!

Fences. I live on a property too but wouldn't dream of letting my dogs roam all the paddocks, let alone the road or neighbours' places. They would be likely to be run over or shot because they got too close to the neighbours' sheep. My dogs often have the freedom of my one acre house yard and are walked around the property twice a day as well as working sheep regularly, but when I am away from home or can't supervise them, they are all in escape proof dog runs.There is no way to teach a dog to stay home and never roam if it has the freedom to do so.

Your dog is not a human... he will not recognise your invisible 'boundary' Because he is young, and full of energy, and a need to work/herd/explore,he needs you to ensure he is safe from harm, can not be led into temptation, and can not become a nuisance.

It is your responsibility to keep him contained - preferably behind good high fences.

:rofl: he has already been allowed to amuse himself and satisfy his instincts by car chasing- this habit usually ends one way- with the dog misjudging, or a driver deliberately running over the dog.

I know you call him, but it is already done - he has had fun. Fences are the only way to keep him safe.

We live a couple of kms from our nearest neighbour .. our dogs are never allowed to run free without our presence - just on case. Around here, where people have sheep , stray dogs can be shot if found trespassing/worrying sheep.

please buy/build a pen for him... walk him on leash everyday, spend some time doing obedience/trick training with him, and then you will know he is happy and safe. :o

Dog run / crate.

There is such a thing as an "invisible fence" which involves an electric collar but I don't think it would be suitable for you and using e-collars in SA is not legal. Not that I've ever heard of that law being enforced. I talked to the cops and RSPCA and they didn't know.

Fences.

Working dogs are usually contained in a run or tethered when not working and that is as much for their safety as anything else.

Pers gave an excellent response :laugh:

I have also known of a border collie in a situation you describe who became increasingly difficult to recall or do anything with as he was able to get so much self satisfaction out of roaming and car chasing. Why on earth would he want to stop that and go back to you?

Another vote for a run! My first response when I saw the thread title was to 'fence it in' ...glad to see common sense prevails here!!!!

My first kelpie was born on a station spanning a million acres....there is no way any farmer would allow his dogs to roam that area!!! The dogs had a home paddock with runs to keep them safe.

Seems obvious to me....fence your yard. We live on a farm & if we didn't have our house yard fenced our BC would not be around for very long, what with trigger happy neighbours, fox baits, wild dogs & motor cars. We just have a 4ft dog wire fence with an electric fence wire running around the top...she has only tried to go over it once :laugh:This is one thing I can never understand, why people who live in the bush don't fence their yards if they have a dog. Having neighbours dogs from many klms away roaming & chasing our stock is very annoying.

Hmm wondering if someone is trying to keep themselves amused????

Anyway build a dog run, I have concrete floored tinned roofed runs and am building a dog yard the momet. 7 feet tall, snake meshed that is buried into the ground. grass. The dog will end up dead otherwise.

My dogs are not allowed into the stock paddocks and are not left out when I am not supervising them.

thanks for all the replies. I guess fencing really is the only option, i just feel horrible locking him in. He is kelpie and needs to run. And it would be a hugeeeee job fencing the area as it about 5 acres and can not really be any smaller, thats hard to explain with out seeing my house. I used to have a golden retriever and italian greyhound who never wandered, but i guess they are a completely different type of dog. Also, another question, do kelpies learn from getting bitten by snakes? Haha it really sounds like i have a wild dog on my hands. I am going to try to teach him to stay away from snakes, and snake proof the area around my house as much as possible, but snakes will always be around. I am going on holidays soon and will really focus on training him and making sure he learns things.

Dogs don't usually learn from being snake bitten- as, unless they are IMMEDIATELY put in hospital, they usually die.

Why can't you buy a 2nd hand dog run.. or build one? Would be a LOT easier than dog proofing 5 acres!!Look around for 2nd hand materials- frames/weldmesh.colourbond.... Look in the Stock Journal newspaper perhaps?

If he loves to run.. that's fine. YOU need to put the training in so that he learns recall and respect - so then he can run safely ,and you know you can call him back at any time.

thanks for all the replies. I guess fencing really is the only option, i just feel horrible locking him in. He is kelpie and needs to run.

This is one of the biggest furphies of all time - if kelpies needed to run 24/7 then every time you drove out to the country the paddocks would be full of running and frolicking kelpies.

Yes they do need to run but they also need an off switch and some down time - a good kelpie will be able to turn off and relax and then be ready for work when you want him to. Plus if they are not in a working home then their exercise needs to be organised and supervised by you, they shouldn't just be turned free to self exercise in the paddock. Same goes for any breed, not just kelpies.

I am on a property just a little bit bigger than yours and we have a fence around our house paddock which is probably around an acre and a half. If someone is home then my kelpies have access to this area to do what they want - if no one is home then they are confined to a dog run with high fences for their own safety. They are never allowed to roam the rest of the property unless with us and then usually on lead - although they both have good recalls, I wouldn't put one up against a rabbit or a kangaroo, LOL.

We have tried to snake proof the house paddock as much as possible, but it isn't 100%, so on very hot days they are confined inside if we are out and only go into the house paddock under supervision. You would have a very difficult job training them to stay away from snakes as they are very attracted to movement - especially hard wired in some.

I don't feel horrible about containing them at all as it is for their own safety, and they both seem to cope with this arrangement very well. Luckily my husband and I work different days but there are 2 days in the week when working overlaps and on those days they are often left in their run for 8 to 10 hours or so with no ill effect. They have plenty of things to occupy them during this time, raw meaty bones, stuffed kongs, chewies, etc.

They are exercised under supervision, and not always at home as they like a change of scenery. They are also given a fair amount of mental stimulation which is very important for kelpies - things like trick training are great.

You need to really commit to put the time in with a working dog but it is well worth it. If you provide enough exercise and training then your kelpie will cope with being contained at times and you will have peace of mind knowing your dog is safe.

You don't necessarily have to fence off the whole 5 acres.. although it's got me stumped as to how your house placement means you *have* to do just that? Surely you can just build him a dog run?

My kelpie doesn't need to run all day... he is just as happy to sleep inside on the couch :rofl: