Walking The Beagles

SeeGee

So the norm around here is that OH and I walk the 2 beagles together, one each. Tonight, OH is working later and I thought that instead of walking them later, I would walk them on my own.....

How do you do it? I can walk ONE beagle quite comfortably, in control, set a good pace etc....with the two of them today, I got walked by them! I felt quite embaressed actually, like I was being dragged around. I cut the walk short - only 20 mins instead of the usual full hour. (I feel so guilty). No, Im not overly fit, dont have brilliant upper body strength (working on it though)......

Any multiple dog walkers have some tips?

I had the leashs' in one hand.

They walk next to each other fine, no crossing over or headbutting, but it was like they were geeing each other up......

*Sigh*

Practise makes perfect I guess....but next time Ill do a lead in each hand...

I have one dog who has to be in front and will pull until she is, but she walks like a dream on her own. The other one doesn't care so I keep his leash a tiny bit shorter so Miss Pully Bum is ever so slightly in front. As long as she feels she doesn't have to catch up she sets a nice moderate pace.

Edited by Malamum

When Mini came to live with us I started walking them together and soon gave it up. Grumpy has a beautifully measured pace; Mini powerwalks. Their walking styles simply don't suit being walked together. Now they get separate walks.

You could also get a double ended lead. My mum isn't especially fit , but manages to walk an Amstaff and a Shar Pei together with one of those.

It may be just me but a double ended lead scares me. I just can imagine something unforseen happening and having my to Staffy's tethered together, it could end in disaster.

As I said, it may be just me, being over cautious.

I walk my two with one one each hand, but I am progressing them to two in one hand as I feel more comfortable having one hand free.

I walk 4 together, a rotti cross, whippet cross, toy poodle and small terrier cross. They all walk at a different pace, but as long as I let the whippet cross get in front a bit, theyall tend to walk to the pace of the slowest one, who happens to be the biggest dog, as he is the oldest. They all know not to pull, and I find that once we get up a bit of pace, they are fine. Even if I try jogging, they stay in 'formation'. The hardest thing is trying to explain to strangers who want me to walk thier dog as 'with that many you must walk them for money' that they are actually all mine!

DSCF2786.jpg

Edited by piperspal

I don't mind where they like to walk really as long as no one pulls.

I lived on a property where the owners had 2 GSD and they walked (on the odd occasion I took them to town) on my left with the bigger dog closer.

Now I have 2 others I walk daily. The boy at my left normally and the chi likes to walk in my shadow, just behind me. The chi would walk here without a lead. I don't mind if we stop and the boy walks for a while on the right. Just no one ever is allowed to pull. I might let the boy stop to mark but if he was rude and pulled he wouldn't be allowed to chose to stop.

Maybe my dogs have been easy to train. I have held some really excited energetic dogs and I wonder how the owner manages them. Tomorrow I am helping my neighbour out as she is hurt at the moment by walking her "maniac" boxer. I think it would be interesting . We'll see.

I would teach each dog seperately to heel using rewards if needed. Then put them together, continue rewards and eventually fade rewards. I am too lazy to walk twice, rather go twicw as far for both once.

Happy training.

My two muppets walk to heel (their choice, I dont mind where they walk) when walked seperatly. If I walk them together then I have both leads in my left hand and I shorten Bonnies lead so she is closest to my leg. Indie will pull to be shoulder to shoulder with her, so along as her lead is short, Indie will loose leash walk alongside her.

I CAN NOT walk my dogs at the same time with someone else holding a leash or Indie will cry, spin, howl and pull to be shoulder to shoulder with Bonnie. Angel to walk on his own but he can't handle walking with Bonnie but not being able to touch her.

Generally walking them together means I have the double pram + two young kids walking alongside me (when OH is away). So I have the dogs on my left wrist, right hand or both hands on the pram and two kids on my right lol. Alot easier to walk them when I have the pram as they know the routine. They have to keep the pace of my 3yr old so as soon as they see the pram come out they instantly just relax (or sulk lol) and plod slowly along behind the pram wheels.

I walk my own 2 regularly on slip leads rather than harnesses or collars--it goes at the top of the neck behind the ears, which gives you a lot more control. Mischa sometimes will pull if we haven't done a 'pack walk' in a while (we do a lot of offleash areas right now since my friend is visiting) but Carl always heels. They walk at about the same pace despite size difference.

I can easily walk all 4 (the other two being a Bichon and another Min Pin) on slip leads as well. They usually walk 2 a side but throughout the walk I move them all onto one side. Footpaths are only so wide. :shrug: I always get people asking me how I do it, all I can say is practice practice practice!