Registered Breeders

Steve

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Getting back to the OP - how does someone pick a good breeder? Word of mouth. It goes a longggggg way.

Research and more research, sad part is many just want a puppy and want it now!!

Yep. totally agree.

What constitutes a registered breeder is no different to what it always was. Being a member of MDBA makes you a registered breeder no more than being a member of the Labour Party makes you a politician.

As always, education is the key. People need to know how to tell a registered breeder apart from other breeders. They need to know the right questions to ask.

Getting back to the OP - how does someone pick a good breeder? Word of mouth. It goes a longggggg way.

Research and more research, sad part is many just want a puppy and want it now!!

Yep. totally agree.

There needs an awareness campaign about registered breeders, what to ask, how to find a breeder, what to look for etc.

I think that's what the MDBA should be doing, instead fighting for Purebred Dogs and there Owners - I thought this is why they started up?

(I also think the ANKC should be doing the same bloody thing!!!!)

But how do people research? Where can they go to know they're getting completely non bias information?

So many breeders talk the talk and possibly even health test, but then you can find out from other people they are totally clueless and dodgy.

I could ask certain people in our breed, who have been in the show scene for a while and get pointed in the direction of breeders who I class as being terrible.

Then there's breeder conflict, so again you could ask a breeder about other breeders, but you're only going to get their opinion, which if they don't like them, could be quite negative.

I think another issue is actually educating the public that there IS stuff to research. I think for the majority of prospective dog owners, when they want a puppy they just find a breeder. I don't think a lot of people out there realise there are amazing breeders and not so amazing breeders.

So how do we educate the public that they need to research? How do we get to them at that crucial point where they decide they want a puppy?

But how do people research? Where can they go to know they're getting completely non bias information?

So many breeders talk the talk and possibly even health test, but then you can find out from other people they are totally clueless and dodgy.

I could ask certain people in our breed, who have been in the show scene for a while and get pointed in the direction of breeders who I class as being terrible.

Then there's breeder conflict, so again you could ask a breeder about other breeders, but you're only going to get their opinion, which if they don't like them, could be quite negative.

I think another issue is actually educating the public that there IS stuff to research. I think for the majority of prospective dog owners, when they want a puppy they just find a breeder. I don't think a lot of people out there realise there are amazing breeders and not so amazing breeders.

So how do we educate the public that they need to research? How do we get to them at that crucial point where they decide they want a puppy?

As I said earlier you ask 5-10 people if they all tell a similar story there is some truth to it and requires further investigation.

Firstly the profile of the Pure bred dogs needs to be addressed - The public need to be made aware we exist.

ANKC/Breed clubs need to advertise where puppies are being sold - Petlink/Trading Post etc

If you raise the profile you can then educate them, you can't educate those who can't find you.

Sure but what I mean is, how do you teach people that they should be asking 5-10 people.

Occasionally, people call us up at work saying they're looking at getting a puppy and ask if we know of any breeders. This is the extent of their research because it's all they know to do. Many of them are amazed when you mention Breed Clubs because they just don't know these exist.

I truly believe people don't realise there's so much they can learn. So how do we educate people that they need to ask and research?

As I said earlier you ask 5-10 people if they all tell a similar story there is some truth to it and requires further investigation.

Firstly the profile of the Pure bred dogs needs to be addressed - The public need to be made aware we exist.

ANKC/Breed clubs need to advertise where puppies are being sold - Petlink/Trading Post etc

If you raise the profile you can then educate them, you can't educate those who can't find you.

as i said before, i have almost been duped by dodgy breeders and i consider myself a very educated puppy buyer.

dodgy breeders lie, they are slick at talking to the public and in one case the only reason i twigged was because they didn't answer a question about a breed health condition properly, in other words they didn't know their breed could suffer from a known genetic condition.

how on earth do normal puppy buyers get to suss this stuff out easily?

Many of them are amazed when you mention Breed Clubs because they just don't know these exist.

Yes I was the same. What's a breed club??? Then when you ring them them they just flog their own puppies from a recent litter anyway. But in this day and age, people who want a particular breed just google, dont they? Then if they're smart, they start making phone calls.

Sure but what I mean is, how do you teach people that they should be asking 5-10 people.

Occasionally, people call us up at work saying they're looking at getting a puppy and ask if we know of any breeders. This is the extent of their research because it's all they know to do. Many of them are amazed when you mention Breed Clubs because they just don't know these exist.

I truly believe people don't realise there's so much they can learn. So how do we educate people that they need to ask and research?

Did you not read what I wrote? Show them you exist, then educate - It's all about marketing.

Many don't know the ANKC/ breed clubs exist your right, that's why I said you advertise where people by puppies, you promote the better product, you out do your competitor in this case the unregistered/BYB's.

You mention things like health testing, breeder support, Things to look out for, what questions to ask etc.

Reg pure bred offers you this - X X X X

Unre gets you this - X

It's all about marketing, and target your audience.

Maybe I see it from a different angle as that is my business - to sell??

Many of them are amazed when you mention Breed Clubs because they just don't know these exist.

Yes I was the same. What's a breed club??? Then when you ring them them they just flog their own puppies from a recent litter anyway. But in this day and age, people who want a particular breed just google, dont they? Then if they're smart, they start making phone calls.

Many clubs these days have disclaimers on them, and they do not recommend a particular breeder.

PUPPY LISTINGS

Disclaimer: This Breeders' listing is not to be taken as a recommendation of any Kennel/Breeder.

It is not a complete listing of all GDCV members who have registered kennels; but is purely a listing of

those GDCV members who have paid to have their Kennel listed in the Breeders' Directory

sway i think you are seeing it from a different perspective. you know what you do and i assume you know other good breeders but maybe try calling a few breeders you don't know and see what happens to puppy buyers.

choose a breed that has genetic problems and see how forthcoming the breeders are.

i want every puppy buyer to buy from good reputable breeders but i also know that in order to sort the wheat from the chaff is almost impossible for the average puppy buyer unfortunately

It's like we almost need to start campaigning or something. Educate people that yes, there are genetic diseases in our Purebreds but that breeders are testing to reduce them. People just don't know this happens.

If people are calling our clinic, they're calling others. How many vets and nurses are telling these people to do their research, avoid designer dogs etc?

It would be great it we could direct people to a website, or give them a brochure or booklet or something. Dogzonline is my number 1 referred website for locating breeders, but there's not a lot of information there on what questions to ask, what to look for etc.

Or what about the MDBA contacting a huge company like Pfizer? Their Paw Club website (also the Heart Your Dog people) has been one of the most successful marketing campaigns around. The sign up rate to that club has totally blown them away. They have a page on buying a dog that isn't very informative and their breed selection quiz leaves little to be desired? Could we contact them and ask to provide them with more information?

how on earth do normal puppy buyers get to suss this stuff out easily?

At some point there has to be buyer beware. It's called self eduction, some just don't care and just want a puppy and want it now!

When buying a new car did you just go hey I want that one, or did you put some effort and research into it?

As I have said before, and as I have on my website -

Whilst you are looking at purchasing a loving companion, think like you're buying a car.

Truth is people spend more time finding that perfect car, then they do when purchasing a puppy.

Ask questions, visit more then one breeder, view paperwork and ask around. You can always get a new car bought through buyer error, but you can't replace that beloved puppy because you didn't do your research first.

Ask many questions and do your research.

There needs an awareness campaign about registered breeders, what to ask, how to find a breeder, what to look for etc.

I think that's what the MDBA should be doing, instead fighting for Purebred Dogs and there Owners - I thought this is why they started up?

It's like we almost need to start campaigning or something. Educate people that yes, there are genetic diseases in our Purebreds but that breeders are testing to reduce them. People just don't know this happens.

Did I not already say we need a awareness campaign???

Sway I get what you mean. But if you don't know the information is out there, you don't know you can self educate.

Which is what I'm getting at - we need to educate people, to educate themselves. Inform them of what goes on, that they need to ask questions. The majority of people just don't know that this is the case.

Did I not already say we need a awareness campaign???

Yes, so clearly I am in agreement with you.

i want every puppy buyer to buy from good reputable breeders but i also know that in order to sort the wheat from the chaff is almost impossible for the average puppy buyer unfortunately

People talk though, dont they? Hey I really really want a Mongolian Fly Catching Terrier. Heyyy I know someone who breeds them in Istanbul. I'll get their website for you.

ANKC wont get an ad campaign going. Breeders have been begging them for years. It's up to us to direct Joe Blow towards good breeders. Some of them will turn around and 'save' a puppy from a pet shop window but some of them will turn to a good breeder if you get in their ear enough.

People talk though, dont they? Hey I really really want a Mongolian Fly Catching Terrier. Heyyy I know someone who breeds them in Istanbul. I'll get their website for you.

ANKC wont get an ad campaign going. Breeders have been begging them for years. It's up to us to direct Joe Blow towards good breeders. Some of them will turn around and 'save' a puppy from a pet shop window but some of them will turn to a good breeder if you get in their ear enough.

trouble is they don't talk enough raz.