Registered Breeders

Steve

Ah well guys - I would not waste your breath. Annie is not interested in anything people here have to say.

Also - got to love the ole DOL grapevine - pity its not accurate when spreading personal information about members :heart::laugh:

Not true at all, I'm very interested in what some people have here to say. Otherwise I would not have persevered for so long. Lots of good info in this thread, mixed in with insults and silly comments. It is a matter of separating the wheat from the chaff.

I just don't get upset by personal insults from ignorant people. Water off a ducks back.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok off topic but how can every dog be examined by a vet? Now most shows have hundreds of entries, you would quite a few vets on hand and what time would the exhibitors be expected to arrive at the show so they have plenty of time to have their dog/s checked..

OT as well, but many horse events (eg endurance, CTR etc) require a vet exam prior to competing & that's been happening for a while now:)

Also amazed at the amount of MDBA bashing when, to an uneducated potential puppy buyer (me), they seem to be starting to address breeder's concerns in ways the ANKC doesn't. :heart:

Also amazed at the amount of MDBA bashing when, to an uneducated potential puppy buyer (me), they seem to be starting to address breeder's concerns in ways the ANKC doesn't. :heart:

This has been what has surprised me too, Bertie.

AHHAHA I have plenty of enemies because I speak my mind, and stand by it!

This is what I was referring to before. So you could be doing the right thing, have the best ethics, breeding practices etc.

But if you have enemies, they're not going to steer people your way if people ask them are you?

As I said earlier,

As I said earlier you ask 5-10 people if they all tell a similar story there is some truth to it and requires further investigation

Yes the buyer should invest some time and investigate and find out if it is in fact true or just bad blood.

The ET requires vet exams before and during the event. It is a lot harder on a dog than other events though.

Why? I'm asking because I have no idea at all & assumed it would be harder for the horses :thumbsup: )

The poster meant harder for the dogs than other tests - not the horses.

The ET requires vet exams before and during the event. It is a lot harder on a dog than other events though.

Why? I'm asking because I have no idea at all & assumed it would be harder for the horses :thumbsup: )

Sorry, I'm still not getting it. Common for me :thumbsup:

Do you mean that the vet tests that they conduct/ed on dogs for shows are more complex/stringent than the vet tests for horses for their comps?

Sorry, I'm still not getting it. Common for me :thumbsup:

Do you mean that the vet tests that they conduct/ed on dogs for shows are more complex/stringent than the vet tests for horses for their comps?

I am pretty sure what they mean is that the ET for a dog is a harder test (more taxing on their body) than other events/trials are for dogs ie obedience, tracking, agility, conformation, herding, flyball etc... hence why they are vet checked prior.

Edited by dyzney

I am pretty sure what they mean is that the ET for a dog is a harder test (more taxing on their body) than other events/trials are for dogs ie obedience, tracking, agility, comformation, herding, flyball etc... hence why they are vet checked prior.

Ah, ok, thank you, that makes sense. :thumbsup:

So it's entirely do-able then, anyway, to conduct the tests at other events, it has just been seen to be no need for the tests at other events.

I am pretty sure what they mean is that the ET for a dog is a harder test (more taxing on their body) than other events/trials are for dogs ie obedience, tracking, agility, comformation, herding, flyball etc... hence why they are vet checked prior.

Ah, ok, thank you, that makes sense. :thumbsup:

So it's entirely do-able then, anyway, to conduct the tests at other events, it has just been seen to be no need for the tests at other events.

An ET has 20 entries per judge, most I have seen had 2 judges so that = 40 dogs

An average conformation show, in my neck of the woods, would start at 400 entries and upwards.

There are usually only a handful of dogs doing ET at any one time, whereas there can be anywhere from 300 to over 2,000 dogs at a show, even a very cursory vet check would be extremely time consuming.

Personally I don't think that vet checks are necessary, I am quite capable of judging whether my dog is fit enough to attend a show, I certainly don't require a vet's opinion. The MDBA is always telling us that the ANKC has no right to dictate to us when and how often we can breed our bitches and that these decisions should be left up to the breeders, yet on the other hand they are suggesting that we are unable to judge if our dogs are fit enough to enter the show ring. Sounds pretty contradictory to me.

There are usually only a handful of dogs doing ET at any one time, whereas there can be anywhere from 300 to over 2,000 dogs at a show, even a very cursory vet check would be extremely time consuming.

Personally I don't think that vet checks are necessary, I am quite capable of judging whether my dog is fit enough to attend a show, I certainly don't require a vet's opinion. The MDBA is always telling us that the ANKC has no right to dictate to us when and how often we can breed our bitches and that these decisions should be left up to the breeders, yet on the other hand they are suggesting that we are unable to judge if our dogs are fit enough to enter the show ring. Sounds pretty contradictory to me.

there have been several threads on this forum complaining that competitors take unwell dogs to shows, some have even said that dogs with parvo were taken to a show.

whilst you may know when your dog is unwell and act responsibly, clearly some others do not.

there have been several threads on this forum complaining that competitors take unwell dogs to shows, some have even said that dogs with parvo were taken to a show.

whilst you may know when your dog is unwell and act responsibly, clearly some others do not.

2,000?? That does sound like a logistical nightmare. How often are there shows with that many dogs?

I wasn't expecting vet checks at show meets to be much more than cursory, just to weed out anything obvious. As Jaxx said, whilst you may do the right thing, others clearly do not :thumbsup:

There've been several threads on this forum complaining about just about everything, doesn't mean that they're true or that the posters haven't misconstrued the situation. Some probably think that any dog that does a slightly soft poo is suffering from parvo. I've been showing for over thirty years and I can count the number of sick dogs I've seen on one hand. I've seen a few cases of kennel cough, but a vet check wouldn't pick this up anyway unless they were specifically looking for it or the dog started coughing.

The number of sick dogs taken to shows would be negligible, I am not saying that it never happens, but it certainly doesn't occur often enough to warrant a vet check of every dog prior to exhibition.

Edited by Miranda

and don't forget to mention that you can take a dog out, to anywhere, and at the beginning of the day there is no sign of illness but a few hrs down the track, wham you have a sick dog on your hands.

You don't even have to take the dog out, wake up in the morning to a fit and well dog, by 4pm you are at the vet.

There've been several threads on this forum complaining about just about everything, doesn't mean that they're true or that the posters haven't misconstrued the situation. Some probably think that any dog that does a slightly soft poo is suffering from parvo. I've been showing for over thirty years and I can count the number of sick dogs I've seen on one hand. I've seen a few cases of kennel cough, but a vet check wouldn't pick this up anyway unless they were specifically looking for it or the dog started coughing.

The number of sick dogs taken to shows would be negligible, I am not saying that it never happens, but it certainly doesn't occur often enough to warrant a vet check of every dog prior to exhibition.

if people are lying or misrepresenting the truth then there is legal action that can be taken against them and i would be doing so if what they have said is false and serious.

how is any person to know what is the truth and what is not. i would have thought saying a dog with parvo was taken to a show fairly serious and if that was a lie then that is appalling.