Registered Breeders

Steve

I think you are being too emotional Annie - no-one is saying the puppies are products they are saying to get people knowing about our puppies we need to get them seen and out there.

The saying is sell the better product, push it get it in the fore front of people minds. They think puppy then ANKC breeder a moment later. No-one is saying a puppy is a handbag. And calling a puppy a sentinel being reminds me of a particular organisations saying.............................

I think we all agree we need to get people thinking ANKC rego'd breeder when they are looking for a new puppy, not puppy farmer who has been researching and knows all the right things to say to get people thinking they are the right place to go.

I guess it all starts with us as individuals, always be approachable, answer emails politely ( yes even the idiots to a point if they really are dumb you can be a little more forceful!) be happy to talk about our breed. I take my dogs for walks through town to get the mail. I get stopped every single time. I always factor in more time to talk to people, these people could well be the loving homes that I am looking for to place a puppy down the track. If I don't have time to talk I don't take them. The ANKC or even breed clubs - where there are breed clubs - need to place adds in the trading post, quokka (wa paper) and the pet for sale sections in newspapers, each week. Get the name out there get it second nature.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Love the way puppies are referred to as PRODUCTS. Hmmmmm now what was I saying a while back about treating them as commodities.......

Puppies are sentient beings, not handbags.

Way to take what sway said out of context.

Love the way puppies are referred to as PRODUCTS. Hmmmmm now what was I saying a while back about treating them as commodities.......

Annie99, if you knew anything about me you would know my dogs are my world.

I am talking about advertising, in advertising things are referred to as 'products'

Yes you also said

Oodles have done so well because they advertise everywhere - where people buy puppies!

Plenty of "oodles" also bred on puppy farms. Are they not? To meet the demand fueled by lots of advertising.

If I sold puppies I would never refer to them as a "product". Sorry.

Changing breed standards ? Changing the breed's criteria for being able to register puppies isnt quite the same as changing the breed standards.

We will not be judging dogs on their breed standard.

We are not having shows the way shows have been traditionally and when we have shows/events it will be for the same reason the ANKC have their traditional shows to test or exhibit the dogs against others of their kind but it wont be by having them handled by a judge and running around a ring.

Your original threads on this did say - Change breed standards.

In your case with the Danes you are asking for exactly what we are doing - introducing mandatory testing before the litter can be registered and having the information available so it can be used when choosing a dog to mate with yours. Carrying that through to all future pedigrees where that dog is represented.

The things you have said regarding wanting some tests made mandatory, and making the results available is why the registry was introduced, because we agree with you.

It's no good just your members being made to test, everyone needs to test.

It needs to be an open registry so everyone can benefit, not just members.

You referred to it as elite in the begining, many are already doing what you say you want to introduce.

Those who are already doing it would have to pay for a shiny logo and nothing else.

I think you are being too emotional Annie - no-one is saying the puppies are products they are saying to get people knowing about our puppies we need to get them seen and out there.

The saying is sell the better product, push it get it in the fore front of people minds. They think puppy then ANKC breeder a moment later. No-one is saying a puppy is a handbag. And calling a puppy a sentinel being reminds me of a particular organisations saying.............................

OMG. are you for real??

Because I say a puppy is a sentient being I am linked to an org!!!! Now I have heard everything!!!!

I did call her almost nutty, now I know Annie99 IS nutty. :heart:

Ha ha ha. I don't care what any of you say. I get supportive PM's from lots of people who would prefer not to engage with people who sling mud and insults.

Remember this

"A man with no enemies is a man with no character." ... "A wise man gets more use from his enemies than a fool from his friends."

Ha ha ha. I don't care what any of you say. I get supportive PM's from lots of people who would prefer not to engage with people who sling mud and insults.

Remember this

"A man with no enemies is a man with no character." ... "A wise man gets more use from his enemies than a fool from his friends."

AHHAHA I have plenty of enemies because I speak my mind, and stand by it!

sway i think you are seeing it from a different perspective. you know what you do and i assume you know other good breeders but maybe try calling a few breeders you don't know and see what happens to puppy buyers.

choose a breed that has genetic problems and see how forthcoming the breeders are.

i want every puppy buyer to buy from good reputable breeders but i also know that in order to sort the wheat from the chaff is almost impossible for the average puppy buyer unfortunately

I was what would have been a average puppy buyer... I am ashamed to say but when I wanted a pup I started looking for an oodle.. I stared my search with google, I read a little, then read some more then I found out about pure breeds and read some more, and I found a great registered breeder, so much so that all my three girls have come from them..

My point is that most people don't care, as much as we wish they would stop and think about where that pup has come from they don't..

I am all for pet shops not selling pets, and I understand that the ANKC can not legally stop its members from selling to pet shops, so it has done what it could and make it that it has to be a PIAA pet shop, now I am not satying that this is ok, but its hands are tied legally.. So the only other way we can stop this is by stopping pet shops from selling pets..

Annie I think there is a lot of websites out there that are easy to find and tell the public about puppy farms, but again it comes down to wether that member of the public wants to know..

I tell people to buy from a ethical registered breeder and I point them in a few different directions..

amazing how you manage to stir things up like this wherever you go Annie - I also took the wording product meaning the whole thing of buying a registered puppy from a proper breeder, not one just council registered or whatever dubious claims they have to being a breeder, when they are nothing more than a BYB.

Edited by Linda K

Remember this

so your a lawyer and a philosopher

Hi Annie99 you are obviously interested in this subject. If you don't approve of ANKC breeders selling to pet shops, write to each state CC and tell them. The addresses are on the website. Australian National Kennel Council.

If you want to buy a pup, go to an MDBA breeder.

If you buy from a petshop, you encourage the sale of puppy farm pups.

Write to your local MP, complain to him about (a) puppy farms (b) ANKC regulations © pet shops. And write to the minister for primary production in your state. You can write to the newspapers as well.

Don't tell us, we know already. Educate those who don't know. You never know, another voice may have an impact.

We are not having shows the way shows have been traditionally and when we have shows/events it will be for the same reason the ANKC have their traditional shows to test or exhibit the dogs against others of their kind but it wont be by having them handled by a judge and running around a ring.

So what exactly will these 'shows' entail? I've read that all dogs will have to be examined by a veterinary surgeon prior to 'exhibition' (very time consuming) and that the general public will be much more involved than they are at ANKC shows, but other than that everything appears to be very vague. Other than testing for working ability (possible, but will be difficult and once again extremely time consuming at an all breeds show) and ensuring that every dog can do the job for which it was originally bred (even more difficult as some of those jobs no longer exist) I cannot begin to imagine how one of your 'shows' is going to be conducted or what is going to be required of the exhibits.

My point is that most people don't care, as much as we wish they would stop and think about where that pup has come from they don't..

I am all for pet shops not selling pets, and I understand that the ANKC can not legally stop its members from selling to pet shops, so it has done what it could and make it that it has to be a PIAA pet shop, now I am not satying that this is ok, but its hands are tied legally.. So the only other way we can stop this is by stopping pet shops from selling pets..

Annie I think there is a lot of websites out there that are easy to find and tell the public about puppy farms, but again it comes down to wether that member of the public wants to know..

The puppy farmers are only going to give them glossy websites, not photos to the realities of puppy farms.

Remember this

AHHAHA I have plenty of enemies because I speak my mind, and stand by it!

Do you think so??

Hi Annie99 you are obviously interested in this subject. If you don't approve of ANKC breeders selling to pet shops, write to each state CC and tell them. The addresses are on the website. Australian National Kennel Council.

If you want to buy a pup, go to an MDBA breeder.

If you buy from a petshop, you encourage the sale of puppy farm pups.

Write to your local MP, complain to him about (a) puppy farms (b) ANKC regulations © pet shops. And write to the minister for primary production in your state. You can write to the newspapers as well.

Don't tell us, we know already. Educate those who don't know. You never know, another voice may have an impact.

Thanks Jed. I have done much of what you suggest and more, I can assure you. Lots of letters to pollies and to councils.

Plenty to Pet's Paradise as well.

None to ANKC. Good Idea. I will start on those. I hope they have email addresses, as 99% of my letters are via email.

So what exactly will these 'shows' entail? I've read that all dogs will have to be examined by a veterinary surgeon prior to 'exhibition' (very time consuming) and that the general public will be much more involved than they are at ANKC shows, but other than that everything appears to be very vague. Other than testing for working ability (possible, but will be difficult and once again extremely time consuming at an all breeds show) and ensuring that every dog can do the job for which it was originally bred (even more difficult as some of those jobs no longer exist) I cannot begin to imagine how one of your 'shows' is going to be conducted or what is going to be required of the exhibits.

Ok off topic but how can every dog be examined by a vet? Now most shows have hundreds of entries, you would quite a few vets on hand and what time would the exhibitors be expected to arrive at the show so they have plenty of time to have their dog/s checked..