Registered Breeders

Steve

if people are lying or misrepresenting the truth then there is legal action that can be taken against them and i would be doing so if what they have said is false and serious.

how is any person to know what is the truth and what is not. i would have thought saying a dog with parvo was taken to a show fairly serious and if that was a lie then that is appalling.

The dog world is alive with rumour and gossip, it's a highly competitive sport and the losers always greatly outnumber the winners so of course there are people lying and misrepresenting the truth. Some exhibitors spend a lot of time (time that would be better spent improving their own stock) bitching about others and pretty soon everyone knows who they are and they're largely ignored except by others of the same ilk.

How many shows have you attended JB or is all your knowledge gained by reading posts on DOL?

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On the subject of puppy farms, the majority of the general public have no idea what one is, let alone the conditions that can be found at some.

Most of my friends are average pet owners. They don't show, breed or even particularly have any interest in lineage, conformation, raw and barf feeding or any number of things that we who have a particular passion for dogs, know about. On occassions when I have mentioned puppy farms, the response has varied from 'what is that?' to 'oh, yeah I read/heard/saw something about them but I am not really sure what they are all about' to 'bloody puppy farmers, so cruel!'

If there was widespread knowledge, puppy farmers would possibly have a harder time than what they currently experience.

I am unsure really what this whole thread is about - and I haven't bothered to read it as it now stands at 30 odd pages. My response was initiated after reading a post or two on the previous page or 2. Apologies if I am re-hashing or 'whatever' ....

Lets not forget that its possible to take a dog incubating the parvo virus to a show and have it shedding without ever developing symptoms.

I

true PF. i was going more on a couple of posts where it was implied that the person knew the dog was ill but took the dog anyway :thumbsup:

Lets not forget that its possible to take a dog incubating the parvo virus to a show and have it shedding without ever developing symptoms.

I

true PF. i was going more on a couple of posts where it was implied that the person knew the dog was ill but took the dog anyway :thumbsup:

Exactly :thumbsup: I would say that it's certainly possible to pick up parvo at a dog show, but considering that nearly 100% of dogs at shows are well cared for and vaccinated, your dog would probably have more chance of contracting a disease at the local dog park. Perhaps we should have vet checks at dog parks prior to entry?

I

Exactly :thumbsup: I would say that it's certainly possible to pick up parvo at a dog show, but considering that nearly 100% of dogs at shows are well cared for and vaccinated, your dog would probably have more chance of contracting a disease at the local dog park. Perhaps we should have vet checks at dog parks prior to entry?

no need to be sarcastic. dog parks are quite different than dog shows as you well know

On the subject of puppy farms, the majority of the general public have no idea what one is, let alone the conditions that can be found at some.

Most of my friends are average pet owners. They don't show, breed or even particularly have any interest in lineage, conformation, raw and barf feeding or any number of things that we who have a particular passion for dogs, know about. On occassions when I have mentioned puppy farms, the response has varied from 'what is that?' to 'oh, yeah I read/heard/saw something about them but I am not really sure what they are all about' to 'bloody puppy farmers, so cruel!'

If there was widespread knowledge, puppy farmers would possibly have a harder time than what they currently experience.

I am unsure really what this whole thread is about - and I haven't bothered to read it as it now stands at 30 odd pages. My response was initiated after reading a post or two on the previous page or 2. Apologies if I am re-hashing or 'whatever' ....

Good on you for raising it again.

My original thread was pulled after I located a puppy farm/byb and asked Q's about what a registered breeder was.

So Steve revived the other thread in a way, which was really about who to report a puppy farmer to as they (puppy farmer) had told me they were registered breeder.

We will not be judging dogs on their breed standard.

We are not having shows the way shows have been traditionally and when we have shows/events it will be for the same reason the ANKC have their traditional shows to test or exhibit the dogs against others of their kind but it wont be by having them handled by a judge and running around a ring.

So what exactly will these 'shows' entail? I've read that all dogs will have to be examined by a veterinary surgeon prior to 'exhibition' (very time consuming) and that the general public will be much more involved than they are at ANKC shows, but other than that everything appears to be very vague. Other than testing for working ability (possible, but will be difficult and once again extremely time consuming at an all breeds show) and ensuring that every dog can do the job for which it was originally bred (even more difficult as some of those jobs no longer exist) I cannot begin to imagine how one of your 'shows' is going to be conducted or what is going to be required of the exhibits.

I would dearly love to know how the MDBA is going to show that wheatens are free from PLN by a veterinary examination.

Still OT, I must walk around with blinders on at dog shows as I don't recall seeing sick and injured dogs begin shown... I know a few people that have absentee their dog/bitch because she or he seems a bit off colour.. Just last weekend a exhibitor absentee her dog because the dog seemed to have a sore back.. Others have left dogs at home because they have been unwell, so how many sick dogs are really been shown??

With some diseases you can't tell the dog is sick.

Ah well guys - I would not waste your breath. Annie is not interested in anything people here have to say.

Also - got to love the ole DOL grapevine - pity its not accurate when spreading personal information about members :love::(

Not true at all, I'm very interested in what some people have here to say. Otherwise I would not have persevered for so long. Lots of good info in this thread, mixed in with insults and silly comments. It is a matter of separating the wheat from the chaff.

I just don't get upset by personal insults from ignorant people. Water off a ducks back.

Funny, I was about to say the same thing ... ;)

Crufts will be assessing the health of 15 high profile breeds of dogs at the

Birmingham NEC in 2012 before handing out any awards, the Kennel Club

announced.

The move aims to improve health in pedigree dogs and protect the sport of

dog showing, which have both come under prolonged scrutiny in the wake of a

BBC documentary which claimed dogs bred for shows were suffering a high

degree of genetic illness.

The Kennel Club, which runs Crufts, said all Best in Breed winners at the

world famous dog show in 2012 and at all the club's championship shows after

that will need a clean bill of health from the event's vet before their

award is confirmed and they are allowed to continue to compete in the final.

And any dog which becomes a champion - for which it needs three wins at

championship shows - will also need to undergo a successful veterinary

examination.

The 15 high profile breeds to which the rules will apply include basset

hounds, bulldogs, German shepherds, mastiffs, pugs and Chinese crested dogs,

which have been chosen because of concerns the breeds can suffer from health

issues.

Vets will be looking for clinical signs of pain or discomfort such as

breathing difficulties when taking moderate exercise, skin disorders, damage

to the eyes and lameness.

Caroline Kisko, secretary of the Kennel Club, said: "There are 195 breeds

whose participation in the hobby of dog showing is overshadowed by the small

minority of people within some high profile breeds who seem to continue to

breed, and occasionally reward, unhealthy dogs and who by doing so are

bringing down the reputation of the hobby and the rest of the dog showing

fraternity.

"The Kennel Club must ensure, for the good of dogs, that only healthy dogs

go home from dog shows with prizes."

Steve Goody, director of external affairs for The Blue Cross animal charity,

said: "The Blue Cross is really pleased to see these measures being

introduced by the Kennel Club to ensure that shows like Crufts do not reward

breeders for producing unhealthy dogs.

"However we would like to see this going even further, so that soon all

breeds prone to inherited health issues undergo checks before they are bred

to prevent unhealthy puppies being born. This is the only way to secure the

best quality of life for all dogs in the future."

http://www.lutontoday.co.uk/news/some_cruf...d_vet_s_approva

Edited by *Bones*

We will not be judging dogs on their breed standard.

We are not having shows the way shows have been traditionally and when we have shows/events it will be for the same reason the ANKC have their traditional shows to test or exhibit the dogs against others of their kind but it wont be by having them handled by a judge and running around a ring.

So what exactly will these 'shows' entail? I've read that all dogs will have to be examined by a veterinary surgeon prior to 'exhibition' (very time consuming) and that the general public will be much more involved than they are at ANKC shows, but other than that everything appears to be very vague. Other than testing for working ability (possible, but will be difficult and once again extremely time consuming at an all breeds show) and ensuring that every dog can do the job for which it was originally bred (even more difficult as some of those jobs no longer exist) I cannot begin to imagine how one of your 'shows' is going to be conducted or what is going to be required of the exhibits.

I would dearly love to know how the MDBA is going to show that wheatens are free from PLN by a veterinary examination.

Still OT, I must walk around with blinders on at dog shows as I don't recall seeing sick and injured dogs begin shown... I know a few people that have absentee their dog/bitch because she or he seems a bit off colour.. Just last weekend a exhibitor absentee her dog because the dog seemed to have a sore back.. Others have left dogs at home because they have been unwell, so how many sick dogs are really been shown??

With some diseases you can't tell the dog is sick.

Ah well guys - I would not waste your breath. Annie is not interested in anything people here have to say.

Also - got to love the ole DOL grapevine - pity its not accurate when spreading personal information about members :(:thumbsup:

Not true at all, I'm very interested in what some people have here to say. Otherwise I would not have persevered for so long. Lots of good info in this thread, mixed in with insults and silly comments. It is a matter of separating the wheat from the chaff.

I just don't get upset by personal insults from ignorant people. Water off a ducks back.

Funny, I was about to say the same thing ... :rofl:

Just the bolded bit....I think the public would much rather see a bunch of Pugs scooting around and playing than just sitting on our laps....because Pugs can do far more now than what they were originally bred for. :rofl:

a couple of things...i think the public would be interested in seeing dogs performing their original roles. i love love love to see a good specimen of the breed doing what it does best, ie a rottie pulling a cart, a cairn going to ground looking for vermin etc (not suggesting we let them chase and kill small furries but it could be simulated :( )

i do not think a vet check could show all genetic issues like sheridan has said re PLN but i do think a vet check would show some things that may make a dog less able to undertake whatever is required.

i would have thought that any chance we have to show off our dogs in a good light to the public would be a great pr opportunity.

a couple of things...i think the public would be interested in seeing dogs performing their original roles. i love love love to see a good specimen of the breed doing what it does best, ie a rottie pulling a cart, a cairn going to ground looking for vermin etc (not suggesting we let them chase and kill small furries but it could be simulated :thumbsup: )

i do not think a vet check could show all genetic issues like sheridan has said re PLN but i do think a vet check would show some things that may make a dog less able to undertake whatever is required.

i would have thought that any chance we have to show off our dogs in a good light to the public would be a great pr opportunity.

Wheatens and kerries, farmyards, covered in mud = conformation. :(:rofl:

a couple of things...i think the public would be interested in seeing dogs performing their original roles. i love love love to see a good specimen of the breed doing what it does best, ie a rottie pulling a cart, a cairn going to ground looking for vermin etc (not suggesting we let them chase and kill small furries but it could be simulated :( )

People need to remember that not all states have the same laws regarding certain aspects & some states .

WA does not do lure coursing/earthdog.We are not the only state.

COE for any org has to keep in mind that one rule doesn't fit every state.

As an example for health testing i had to fly my dog east to be tested for one of the issues in the breed because like other states we don't have all the bells & whistles like NSW/VIC.

That 1 test meant $300 just to fly the dog plus my airfare

a couple of things...i think the public would be interested in seeing dogs performing their original roles. i love love love to see a good specimen of the breed doing what it does best, ie a rottie pulling a cart, a cairn going to ground looking for vermin etc (not suggesting we let them chase and kill small furries but it could be simulated :thumbsup: )

People need to remember that not all states have the same laws regarding certain aspects & some states .

WA does not do lure coursing/earthdog.We are not the only state.

COE for any org has to keep in mind that one rule doesn't fit every state.

As an example for health testing i had to fly my dog east to be tested for one of the issues in the breed because like other states we don't have all the bells & whistles like NSW/VIC.

That 1 test meant $300 just to fly the dog plus my airfare

Lure coursing is not a recognised ANKC activity so states that do run events are doing so outside the ANKC. :(

Lure coursing is not a recognised ANKC activity so states that do run events are doing so outside the ANKC. :(

Here in Victoria we have a lure coursing area at KCC Park and it is advertised on the Dogs Victoria website.

Lure coursing is not a recognised ANKC activity so states that do run events are doing so outside the ANKC. :thumbsup:

Here in Victoria we have a lure coursing area at KCC Park and it is advertised on the Dogs Victoria website.

At a wheaten picnic one year we were at KCC Park and had a go at lure coursing. My boy won. He was bloody fast, too. :(

Same in NSW. We have earthdog as well.

What's wrong with lure coursing and earth dog that it's not recognised over that way?