Pet Insurance Premium Increase

poodle proud

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was with RSPCA pet insurance until last week - the premium for my older dog rose by more than $200. Yes I have made claims (for cruciates, so expensive) however these claims are now finalised and I was no longer claiming anything. Anyway, I shopped around and went with Medibank Private who have given me a premium more than $200 less than RSPCA.

So yes, it does pay to shop around.

However, you do realise that if you had stuck with RSPCA and he needed further surgery, they would cover it. Medibank won't cover anything related as it is a pre-existing condition.

It's so hard with insurance because it is always a gamble.

I was with RSPCA pet insurance until last week - the premium for my older dog rose by more than $200. Yes I have made claims (for cruciates, so expensive) however these claims are now finalised and I was no longer claiming anything. Anyway, I shopped around and went with Medibank Private who have given me a premium more than $200 less than RSPCA.

So yes, it does pay to shop around.

However, you do realise that if you had stuck with RSPCA and he needed further surgery, they would cover it. Medibank won't cover anything related as it is a pre-existing condition.

It's so hard with insurance because it is always a gamble.

He's had both cruciates done and has been in excellent health for the last 2 years. He doesn't get to jump around any more like he used to so we greatly lessen the likelihood of him doing a cruciate again ..... I'm OK with that!! :love:

At his age (over 8 years old now) he is more likely to have a medical issue than an accident and I fully expect his premium to jump next year - but why would you not want to save over $200 in a year in the meantime :rofl:

It's a balanced risk I have taken and an informed one :rofl:

I made a claim 13 months ago when one of my dogs had laminectomy surgery. When the policy was due for renewal not only did the premium increase by $10 per month but there is an additional clause that states they will cover only 40% of any future claim for any spinal issues. My excess is $250 for each claim.

Edited by cavNrott

I made a claim 13 months ago when one of my dogs had laminectomy surgery. When the policy was due for renewal not only did the premium increase by $10 per month but there is an additional clause that states they will cover only 40% of any future claim for any spinal issues. My excess is $250 for each claim.

Gee that seems a bit hard.

I have the same letter from PIA with the same quote.

Now that you have made this thread I imagine it has come from Hollard who is the underwriter of pretty much all pet insurance companies here.

Oh dear....I feared this was probably the case. I imagine shopping around probably won't yield a more reasonable premium.

I don't get worked up about much but I think they just expect people will just keep paying it. I understand the premise that if you claim, your premium is recalculated, however, just giving themselves scope to increase premiums while making out like they are doing you a favour is just wrong.

And for all those insisting on correcting me about it not being a 'scam', I shall endeavour to alter it, although I imagine most people would realise this is a vent...

Yep, I think mine is now exactly the same price as your dog, for a 6 year old rare breed. FYI I only took the policy out 12 months ago, and when I took it out it was 37.60 so my policy has only gone up about $4 a month- it's a big rise when you look at it per year...but perhaps you were getting a good price if you look at it that way. :o

I renewed in Aug 2010 with Medibank Private for one dog and Oct 2010 with PetPlan for another, and I think they both stayed the same :o

I suspect them to go up next time, not because I've made claims, but just because that's the way it always works. But the amount some of them are going up is ridiculous, that I am thinking that I might be better off just cancelling both and putting that money aside for emergencies! But knowing my bad luck, I do that then one of my dogs will have an accident and I will get a nice hefty bill!

I can't understand how much they differ though. KJ's example, she's made many pricey claims and it only goes up $1, while others don't claim and get hit hard. :rofl: Different insurers yes, but it seems to be differing within same insurers, too!

My policy went up more than 60% over the previous year. I've made no claims at all on it. WTF. I rang them up and they said it was the underwriter. Unfortunately the renewal came in a month that I was not home for long enough to shop around for another company or even verify what they said about the underwriter.

human health insurance companies don't share this philolosophy

They do try to discriminate. They're recently been allowed to discriminate based on age - when the government first allowed that in they set a 30 year old age limit thing - eg if you had insurance and you maintained it continuously they couldn't charge you more than what they charge a 30yo. I've also noticed some variation for the same type of cover - the price varies between states. I don't know if it's more dangerous to live in some states or that health care is just more expensive.

And I think they would like to discriminate based on lifestyle and whether you're male or female (able to get pregnant) but I'm not sure if Australian law allows this. Most of the discrimination based on health risk - which is done in the USA - is not legally allowed on Oz.

When I renewed my PetPlan policy it had gone up a massive( :o ) $1 for the year...can't complain about that! I have made several claims maybe around $16,000 in 2 years

Mine was also under a $1 so Petplan seems to not increase premiums that much, I claimed $5000 last year for allergies

actually human insurance such as health,Life, trauma TPD and income protection are based on risk/cost basis. Males more expensive than females, smokers more than none, age,weight, health history and occupation effect the costs.

I am not surprised this now in the pet industry. There have always been some pet insurance companies that charged loadings for breeds prone to certain health issues.

Not a scam,

Edit to add, they should be able to tell you at what ages they increase premiums and provide and indication of cost if your dog is 10 years old.

This is off the track; but just want to correct something here. Private health insurance in Australia does not take into account whether you smoke or so forth. (Yes I understand life etc. probably do). It's actually part of the priv health ins act that insurers cannot discrimate based on your previous health etc. Pity it cannot apply to other areas!

When I renewed my PetPlan policy it had gone up a massive( :o ) $1 for the year...can't complain about that! I have made several claims maybe around $16,000 in 2 years

Mine was also under a $1 so Petplan seems to not increase premiums that much, I claimed $5000 last year for allergies

PetPlan are the most expensive in premiums to start with so you'd hope their premiums didn't go up by too much!

PetPlan are the most expensive in premiums to start with so you'd hope their premiums didn't go up by too much!

Really? I did not think they were pricey compared to the others when i looked? I think i chose the higher premium as i have a lower excess i think, plus they were willing to review an exsisting condition aftef 12 months

Oh dear....I feared this was probably the case. I imagine shopping around probably won't yield a more reasonable premium.

Will probably be worth you shopping around...

I rang PIA (current insurer) the other day, have only had the policy for 1 year and it has gone up to $354 for annual coverage on the Major Medical Plan with $500 excess ($15,000 in bills will be covered for the year)

Shopped around and Medibank Private have a plan - Silver Paw Cover - which is around $250 for annual coverage, with $12,000 in bills covered and again $500 excess.

Really? I did not think they were pricey compared to the others when i looked? I think i chose the higher premium as i have a lower excess i think, plus they were willing to review an exsisting condition aftef 12 months

They are indeed the most expensive! I got quotes for both my dogs recently and they were on average $5 per month more expensive than the 4 other popular insurers I got quotes from. That's $60 odd a year .... and the cover was the same as everything else I was getting a quote for.

My policy went up too - can't remember how much by.

It's pretty standard for insurance premiums to increase annually - be it pet, car, contents etc.

Pet insurance is becoming more common in Australia and as a consequence, more claims are being made so it follows that insurers need to put appropriate premiums in place - they are a business after all.