Puppy Proofing Issues

koalathebear

We have a shed near the fence and front gate.  This is the gap near the fence:

shed01.jpg

This is the gap on the other side near the fence:

shed02.jpg

Recently, our naughty Kelpie puppy Hoover (6 months old) has decided that he likes exploring and wants to sidle between fence and shed and between gate and shed.  It's not a huge deal because there's nothing there that can really hurt him but it's just not a habit we want to encourage.  We're having a really hard time trying to 'fence' it off though because given the location of the gap - there's nothing to tie wiring to.  On the gap near the gate, we can loop ties around the gate but there's nothing on the shed side to tie things to.  On the gap between shed and fence, there's nothing at all to tie anything to so either we stack up a huge mountain of stuff in front of the gap (not really possible) or we find some other way to block puppy's entrance to the fascinating Space Behind the Shed.  does anyone have any suggestions for our next Bunnings run?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by koalathebear

I would get the Bunnings compost panels and screw 2 of them (one above the over) to both the shed and the color bond fence.

You can get those ring brackety thingies to loop around the mesh panel, then thread the screw through the hole to secure them.

We use those compost mesh panels for just about everything doggie here :laugh:

koalathebear

No need to go to Bunnings

Put your panel; corrugated iron or wire grid, parallel to the shed and perpendicular to the fence with a diagonal stay to hold it in place.

A plank 45 degrees to the panel and the ground effectively making a 45 degree triangle.

photo of a diagonal (plank) stay :laugh:

post-3970-1295221118_thumb.jpg

Edited by pewithers

koalathebear

Put your panel; corrugated iron or wire grid, parallel to the shed and perpendicular to the fence with a diagonal stay to hold it in place.

A plank 45 degrees to the panel and the ground effectively making a 45 degree triangle.

photo of a diagonal (plank) stay :)

Sorry, I don't mean to target your posts in this thread, but that doesn't look safe nor something that would actually work with a working dog puppy?

koalathebear

photo of a diagonal (plank) stay :)

Sorry, I don't mean to target your posts in this thread, but that doesn't look safe nor something that would actually work with a working dog puppy?

Yep! Absolutely.

They were temporary (overnight) stays and were only sighted as an example.

Proper stays need to be secured properly.

Grab a pile of second hand bricks and make a square stacked column of them up to the height of the top of the fence (so there's no way your pup can see over them). It visually blocks off the space and looks neat too. Then spray the bricks with a scent the dog hates to further deter investigation.

To give a bit more stability to the brick columns, try to stack two one way and then for the next level, stack two at 90 degrees horizontal to the first layer. If you're worried about them toppling if the dog jumps up at them, hammer in a star picket behind the column for additional support.

This way, neither the shed or fence gets damaged and the dog cannot get into the gap.

Spookily, we have almost this exact problem! Except that we have a wooden fence.

It's in the back corner of our property and (for some unknown reason :thumbsup: ) the fence stops about halfway down the length of the shed.

I'm off to Bunnings tomorrow for some plastic mesh. I hope to nail it to the shed somehow.

I did think of cramming a railway sleeper in the gap - until I saw the price! :laugh:

I had the same issue.

I used the plastic trellis stuff like you did. To attach it to the shed, i drilled small holes in the shed with my smallest drill bit, then used fencing wire to loop through the trellis and into the shed. I had two small holes next to each other in the shed to push the fencing wire through. I then tied it off on the inside. I used about 4 sets of these small holes down the length of the trellis to attach it to the head. Been almost 3 years, dog full grown and she's not managed to get in there yet. I did put a massive big rock at the bottom so she couldn't dig under either. She gets frustrated when a lizard goes behind the shed and she cant get it.

Star pickets .. if not high enough, can cause horrific injuries if bouncing/climbing dogs get hooked on the top of them :love: You can help though, by putting some hose over the ends..or empty drink cans ...If a dog comes down hard on teh top of one of those steel star pickets ..... Ouch!

Star pickets .. if not high enough, can cause horrific injuries if bouncing/climbing dogs get hooked on the top of them :love: You can help though, by putting some hose over the ends..or empty drink cans ...If a dog comes down hard on teh top of one of those steel star pickets ..... Ouch!

The ones i used are almost 2m high and have yellow patsic caps on the top. They are also flush against the fence and down pipe.