Breed Suggestion

kiesha09

Sounds like Aussies tick the boxes nicely, if you want a slightly smoother coat you could also look at a cattle dog or kelpie, they may have more working drive than you need but I've seen heaps of working breeds do well as long as they get some interaction and aren't just left in the backyard :rofl:

ETA or you could just get a horse instead :rofl:

A kelpie could be another option. Although we had one when I was little and he was crazy :laugh: His name was lightning for a reason!

WnH I only want another horse if I can have Daisy :D

I don't give a toss what other people call my dogs. If they think poodles are girly dogs its their loss.

They've obviously never seen a Poodle take out a tennis ball. :laugh:

Not that girls can't take out a tennis ball too. :rofl:

Maybe I'll end up with a poodle and an Aussie :cooldance:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:laugh: dancinbcs you are probably correct I was more just teasing Kiesha now (don't worry I know her ROFL). Kiesha Ness says your welcome to test drive her so long as there is plenty of food around :laugh: . Edited by ness

I rarely suggest Deerhounds to people because they are certainly not for everyone, but they tick all your boxes.

They are easy to train because they want to please you, but would probably not excel at obedience. They love being inside with you. I lived for years in a 2 bedroom flat with three Deerhounds (two low-energy, one high energy) and they all did really well. They shed very little. They LOVE the beach and hiking, and have two speeds - flat out or fast asleep. They don't eat much and are generally very chilled-out dogs. They are also very compact - they fold up very small to fit into hatchback cars, etc. :laugh:

I have fostered several small fluffies and they are very good with them.

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/profile.asp?dog=44834

HAHA why not - lets just add another breed to the list :laugh: I'm sure a midget BC would fit right in.

Well actually, on second thoughts as long as I could ship he/she off to Ness so I could have a sleep in :rofl:

Poor Ness would definately come home a few kg's heavier... how could you resist that face :laugh:

But in all seriousness if I could guarantee a Ness like BC I'd have them on the top of the list.

I rarely suggest Deerhounds to people because they are certainly not for everyone, but they tick all your boxes.

They are easy to train because they want to please you, but would probably not excel at obedience. They love being inside with you. I lived for years in a 2 bedroom flat with three Deerhounds (two low-energy, one high energy) and they all did really well. They shed very little. They LOVE the beach and hiking, and have two speeds - flat out or fast asleep. They don't eat much and are generally very chilled-out dogs. They are also very compact - they fold up very small to fit into hatchback cars, etc. :laugh:

Oh wow I have 3 that walk past my house throughout the week (2 together and anther one who lives with someone else). I should definately have a chat to them about their dogs and meet them. They do look like pretty chilled out dogs.

Oh wow I have 3 that walk past my house throughout the week (2 together and anther one who lives with someone else). I should definately have a chat to them about their dogs and meet them. They do look like pretty chilled out dogs.

If you decide you want to know more about them, I know a LOVELY breeder in Murray Bridge.

:laugh: hmm so kiesha now is not the time to tell you of my two the one who lets me sleep in would be Kenz. She doesn't get out of bed until I do whatever time that is. Ness has to get up at 7:30 regardless :laugh: .

I'm not too concerned about my other dogs - this new dog could come about in their lifetime or after I'm not sure. But either way I will take the necessary steps to manage those relationships and be sure they aren't hurt or scared by a puppy.

I have thought about whippets because they are beautiful dogs. But I would like to do lots of off lead walking (obviously when trained if trustworthy) ie hiking and the like so not sure if they are suitable. How do they go on farms etc. with bunny's running around?

I have Whippets on a farm.

I have livestock fences around the 5 acre house glock. They have never done a bunk from there but I do not leave them out there unattended. They hang around and do not try and run off when I am with them. From the day they are brought home they are taught recall all the time (I carry treats everywhere for the first 6 months and fromt ime to time after that). They are taught leave it. Sometimes this applies to the cat/s with young babies. I teach them leave it incase of snake encounters.

When I go walking through the farm they are one lead. We have come accross kangaroo's, rabbits and foxes. While they get excited they do not rip my arm out of it's socket or anything. I do not know that a leave it would suffice in this situation as I haven't had to use it. When they go chasing bunnies we go on the bike, they are let off in a certain area I follow them through that area and then they are called back. It is only rarely they need to be called twice.

Having said that they are very fast so they can have seen something and be off before you have had a chance to even get a word out of your mouth, so no off lead near roads or whre they can get themsleves in trouble. As PF said they run fast but not for a great distance. Lewis will always come back if he hears an i squeak as he is totally addicted. When summer is over and the snakes have racked off a bit I will take them to the bunny hunting spot and see if the Isqueak noise will get him off bunny hunting.

My dogs have loads of off lead time and haven't taken off as yet, but there are no major motivators for them to do that.

I think A Standard Poodle may fit the bill there were some brilliant ones on the WA obedience and agility circuit a few years ago.

Edited by OSoSwift

Thanks for the info OSoSwift. As much as I think whippets are gorgeous dogs I don't think they are really what I'm after.

I don't want to be constantly fighting a battle for a great recall in all situations. I know you need to train a recall but there are some breeds where this is easier to do than others.

Ness - that'd be right, they never tick ALL the boxes do they :thumbsup: Does midget BC sleep in AND snuggle?

Yep Kiesha midget does sleep in and snuggle - she loves to be picked up and cuddled - GO FIGURE that one out. She is a total lap dog and more cuddly then Ness. Loves physical contact and being as close as possible. She just melts into a puddle.

If Kenz had her way she would sleep touching and on top of you. Ness does cuddles but won't stay on the bed, Kenz stays put all night.

But yeah she is also pretty goey when you want her to be. She probably would have had a nice off-switch if I hadn't set about sabotaging it from when she was a baby. I presumed if she was off then she would stay off LOL.

Edited by ness

I think Bernese Mountain Dogs are a bit too big for me. I'm not sure one would even fit in my car :laugh:

Lyndsay I'd love to meet some more Aussies, that would be great :o

Pick the runt of the litter. My friend's berner girl is way smaller than a standard poodle and smaller than a collie rough. She's a bit bigger than an aussie...

Sounds like you are becoming set on an aussie though - and they are great and I love them. If I had a bigger yard so they could run a bit i would seriously consider one too - but wouldn't have said they are chilled out... all I have met have been pretty exciteable.

HAHA why not - lets just add another breed to the list :o I'm sure a midget BC would fit right in.

Well actually, on second thoughts as long as I could ship he/she off to Ness so I could have a sleep in :thumbsup:

Poor Ness would definately come home a few kg's heavier... how could you resist that face :laugh:

But in all seriousness if I could guarantee a Ness like BC I'd have them on the top of the list.

Calm but willing Borders like Ness are not unusual at all. You just need to specify what you are after and let an experienced breeder pick one out for you. Sometimes there will be several like that in a litter, sometimes just one and sometimes none. You might have to wait on a couple of litters to get what you are after. The parents temperaments are a bit of an indicator but you really don't know what the puppies are going to be like until 6-7 weeks. By then you can be pretty sure how they will turn out and that is when I decide if the puppies I have, suit the homes I have waiting. If not I put the buyers onto other breeders to try to get a suitable puppy, while I wait to find the right homes for my babies.

The same pretty much applies to Aussies as well.

I think Bernese Mountain Dogs are a bit too big for me. I'm not sure one would even fit in my car :o

Lyndsay I'd love to meet some more Aussies, that would be great :thumbsup:

Pick the runt of the litter. My friend's berner girl is way smaller than a standard poodle and smaller than a collie rough. She's a bit bigger than an aussie...

Sounds like you are becoming set on an aussie though - and they are great and I love them. If I had a bigger yard so they could run a bit i would seriously consider one too - but wouldn't have said they are chilled out... all I have met have been pretty exciteable.

Come meet Holly and Maizie the next show, they are on the chilled out end of the scale. There are some pretty full on ones in the ring at the moment though (lovely dogs). ETA: Bree is one of them! :laugh:

Edited by Lyndsay

Tomorrow night but it's at Gawler. Next weekend there are 2 night shows (Fri and Sat nights) and a Sunday show at Heathfield in the hills. Then nothing until end of Feb but that's at Naracoorte! :thumbsup:

If any of the above interest you let me know and I can give you times and places. :D

I think Bernese Mountain Dogs are a bit too big for me. I'm not sure one would even fit in my car :D

Lyndsay I'd love to meet some more Aussies, that would be great :rofl:

Come meet Holly and Maizie the next show, they are on the chilled out end of the scale. There are some pretty full on ones in the ring at the moment though (lovely dogs). ETA: Bree is one of them! :thumbsup:

Lyndsay - this is what I mean - there are definitely some pretty full on ones out at the moment. ;) (and I love their 'showy' temperament)

Will have to come and see Holly and Maizie. Will be at the Hills show.