Reporter Takes Stray To The Vet

Sheridan

From the Canberra Times:

A kind act on a road to hell, paved with good intentions?

Sun Tzu is big, black and likes to snore. Tillo is small, red and can't get enough cuddles. They're best mates, and my best mates too.

I know the loneliness that comes with having a dog disappear from your yard never to be seen again. The horror of another being hit by car. And so, to some people's surprise, when I see other people's pets wondering the streets I stop and spend sometimes an hour trying to comfort and encourage them off the road and to me so I can hopefully return them to the often desperate owner, as others have done for me and my pets to my many thank-yous.

But other pet owners don't all feel the same. Earlier this week I saw a kelpie yo-yo back and forth over a road on my way to work.[/b]

Rest of the story ...

There was a letter from Dingo's owner in the Canberra Times on Sunday (which I don't have a copy of and it isn't on the website) but basically, the guy slammed the reporter for taking his dog to the vet, one of those, 'She'll be right, mate, my dog's okay,' types for whom I have no sympathy. He lets his run around and doesn't care. My suggestion to anyone in the northern suburbs who comes across Dingo running free is to take him to DAS so his owner's hip pocket can learn the value of keeping his dog secure.

Edited by Sheridan

My girl absconded from the new premises in Lismore.

When I got up around eleven the neighbour casually asked if I had all my dogs.

Why? Because one of them jumped the front fence about two hours ago and when you weren't there jumped out again.

Well thanks for letting me know! :thumbsup:

So I spent hours searching a new suburb for a girl who would go with anybody.

No joy

About 1:30. Knock on the door.

Stranger and dog with a rope around her neck.

Turns out the dog went over to Westfields (two streets away).

She went through the automatic doors, up the travelators and wondered around the shops for an hour before someone asked the butcher if it was his dog.

He said no, but put a rope lead around her and took her down stairs.

Fortunately, the markets were on and one of the vendors had seen my dog while we were out walking.

He took the dog and returned it.

Some people are just decent.

It also pays to walk your dog and be seen.

On NYE we were driving home from the city and saw a dog running around on the main rd. Hubby pulled up and I jumped out, there was a man already stopped who was trying his darndest to catch the dog but it kept running from him. I told him to just stop and approach it slower, it was freaked out.

We tried to get the cars to slow down, some did, some didn't. After about 15 mins if trying to coax pooch off the road and trying to corral him a taxi came flying over the hill, ignored my signals to slow down and cleaned up this poor dog. After it was hit it got up and bolted into the bush. We couldn't find him. Don't know what ended up happening to him but there was nothing else we could do.

I wish ppl would secure their dogs so these things didn't happen. I wouldve gladly taken this fella home or to a vet but never got the chance to. :thumbsup:

The first week we had Ziggy, my OH went out and the front door failed to shut properly. Dogs got out. Ziggy is running all over the road, narrowly avoided being hit by a car. Lovely, lovely owner stopped, got Ziggy into his car and helped me get his collar and lead on (my dogs don't wear collars all the time, only when they go for walks)

That man is Ziggy's guardian angel, and I am so thankful for him.

I try to pay it forward.

This is such a shame - it can be so risky for people to capture and contain a stray... and they're so much less likely to do so if they are treated rudely in return. The welfare of all our doggies suffer as a result :)

My OH was helping me walk our four dogs just before Xmas, which he doesn't normally do so on this day I was glad he was with me.

A male Dalmation came running down the road and started trying to jump all around my dogs. One of my males hates other dogs so he was trying to attack while one of my others dogs was trying to get out of her halti.

It didn't take long to realise the dog was just trying to be friendly but wasn't going to leave us alone. So we decided to head for home with the dog joining us, OH had to try and keep it of the road because it nearly got run over. We didn't have a spare lead.

By the time we got home my male had settled down and even let him come inside and eat his food.

It was the weekend so we waited three hours until the animal welfare league opened, I called them and gave them the tag number. They took my details and they rang the owner who rang me back straight away.

Ten minutes later she was reunited with her dog, it turned out he didn't live far from me and had escaped in the storm the night before. They live on acreage and had just spent thousands on fencing to keep him in.

It was a happy ending for Spot, I hope someone would do the same for me. :)

This was the second time we had rescued a dog but the ending to this tale still haunts me.When the owner came to get there dog the dog cowered down behind my husband. I didn't see that because I was out the front talking to the other owner, if I did I might have been reluctant to give them back the dog. :) :D

I am another that picks up stray dogs that are playing chicken with the traffic and takes them to the closes vet.

Last dog I did this with was a lovely Italian Greyhound, who I then dropped off at a vet, she had already possibly been hit by a car as she had a nasty gash on he thigh.

When I contacted the vet the next day, she had been picked up by her owners, the vet had also stitched her up.

I don't get people who let their dogs run loose, I am so paranoid about mine getting out.

A few years back I was working late before flying interstate a few hours later when I heard some hoons drag racing at 1am and then heard a loud thud. I walked down to the corner and found an old border collie lying injured on the road. I scooped him up and took him home then put him in the car and took him to the emergency vet. Just down the road i saw the hoons stopped there and they were just concerned over the broken indicator lens on his car. I cut loose with some words then took the dog 30 mins away to the emergency vet. When I got back in town a few days later I spoke to the RSPCA and they informed the dog was bruised but OK and had been reunited with it's owner. I wanted to check further on the dog but the owner never contacted me. A bit frustrating but I'd still do it again.

ROJ

I was walking my dogs when a nice brindle staffy decided to join the team and followed me home,my daughter tried to check his collar for a number and copped a head butt to the mouth for her troubles.I then took him to the vets to check for micro chip and he seemed to know where to go and the vet knew him straight away,he had been brought in previously by other people but the owners (new to the area) hadnt fixed his escape route yet.

He doesn't care that his dog gets out. Wish I had a copy of the letter to post and the article that accompanied it. It was jawdropping.

Sheridan I have the response from the owner, who is a jerk, am getting my printer fixed tomorrow and will see if I can post it here.

The headline is "the lady stole my dingo"

Maree

CPR

I WISH someone had been able to catch my young girl the first time she disappeared (being babysat by a friend and managed to get through 2 doors to get out of the house!!!). My friends followed her for as long as they could (as in to areas where the car could get - she's fast!) and once I got there we had a 4 hour search to find her hiding in bushes about 20m from where the car last saw her!! But it was the worst 4 hours of all our lives so far! We all kept saying why hasn't someone caught her and called us by now.

Close to my area there is a dog that is often out. I haven't caught it yet but the people I know who have, have been too nice and keep sending it back to the owner (who does not keep it in good condition and is quite abusive to anyone who tries to get it off the street). If it comes across my path loose on the street he will be coming with me, and if he has no microchip I will either rehome him myself or take him to a shelter a long way away.

If you don't care to look after your animals then don't have one! And be appreciative that someone else is not only looking after your animals welfare but also your hip-pocket by not getting the council to pick it up so you have to pay all the associated fines for a dog on the loose.

• 2 weeks later...

Several years ago I encountered two Jack Russells running loose in the Blue Mountains National Park. Noting they had collars and tags, I put my own plans on hold, walked the dogs home, and called.

Owner was visiting the area, had assumed it was a good place to let them run around loose. He was extremely unhappy that I had interfered with his plan. I explained that there were some aggressive dogs in the area who had recently killed a dog, and a busy highway, and it was not safe.

Took him about two hours to find the motivation to come pick them up.

He promptly let them loose again, and by the afternoon the female one had been hit by a car and killed. I would have taken them up to the pound without their collars if I knew the owner was such a jackass. They were sweet and attractive dogs.

I wish a council ranger would go and have a talk with Dingo's owner, and also smack him up the side of the head.