Thank Dog For Good Recall...i Hope

Monah

Had a great (not) few weeks.

One dog had a major operation, expected, and I'm being the nurse.

Other dog (daughter's but is here every day) ate something at a party (lollie tree, complete with PINS) he ate 23 pins :thumbsup: has had major surgery but we had to wait a day for the ingestion to get to where it could be removed and just HOPE like crazy that he would live as he was not expected to. :)

He has come through fantastically as he is super fit, 10 years old!! and now I have him here waiting for one final pin to come out as this one was too complicated..

I know it is in the right position as he had another xray yesterday, but it is very worrying. :laugh: He is on a very strict, small diet with limited water and will take a long time to recover, huge operation... and the bill was tiny! The vets here are far too good to us, we were expecting a huge bill, out of hours, emergency, several xrays, hospital and drugs...

THis morning, whilst babying the two 'cripples' along separately (all dogs have to be kept apart as they are not allowed to PLAY..) I had the third dog outside for the loo, one cripple on lead, and one indoors.

The third dog flushed a big snake out of the bushes. :laugh: and it then travelled over the garden to the fence.

I screamed at my dog, calling COME!!! and as she is a good girl, she came immediately, even though the snake was very visible and wriggly :D Rushed to the neighbours as they have 4 kids and 2 dogs and the snake went to their place.

BUT, I still do not know if she were bitten. I rang my vet at home, 6am. and had a long talk with him and have my girl here on my lap to wait and see. He is only 2 minutes away and i'm to take her there at the first 'sign'. SInce the week before Christmas I've been dealing with dog stuff, stressful stuff and I'm almost, but not quite, a complete cot case... :eek:

Please cross your fingers for me and hope with me that she was not bitten.. :laugh: I'm here alone with 3 high maintenance dogs ATM and I'm struggling a bit. I'll die if anything happens to my baby.

Edited by Monah

Hey Monah you are having a bit of a bad run at it lately!!!

Did you see the snake strike at all??? if it looked more as though it was just trying to get away I have generally found they haven't struck at the dog as they are more interested in moving off. If they sit up and strike of course, different story.

All fingers and paws crossed that it isn't a snake bite and you can have a break you poor thing. I am not sure about the type of snake or what your vets have but sometimes you can take blood to see if the clotting time is slowed and with tigers that can help let you know if they have been bitten

Good luck from us

Not a tiger or red belly, not any python either.

It's a guess, but either a brown (I doubt it as the ones I have come accross before have been rather confrontational....

taipan, have had close encounters before and they are shy, just want to get away.. like this one

whip snake, not deadly but very nasty bite, this snake was not as 'fast' as one, but may not have 'warmed' up yet.

not an adder,

apart from that, no idea.

Vet has been very informative and I am confident of what to look for.

I'm starting to relax a bit, but he said to keep watching her for a few hours.

Did not see the snake strike, but they were both in the bushes when it rocketed out. I"m so pleased she is so good with recall as it took a few minutes to leave the garden and I had another dog on lead , otherwise I would have been able to grab her, but that was not necessary. :hug:

A doler emailed me just now, but I cannot email back, it is declined?

I do not know the DOL name, or how I got an email and not a PM as my address is not available.

It said it came from DOL though?

so, glen, can you please PM me so I can reply? I can only reply with your DOL name. thanks. :hug: xxxx

Moo still good,

xxx

A doler emailed me just now, but I cannot email back, it is declined?

I do not know the DOL name, or how I got an email and not a PM as my address is not available.

It said it came from DOL though?

so, glen, can you please PM me so I can reply? I can only reply with your DOL name. thanks. :hug: xxxx

Moo still good,

xxx

that sounds odd Monah, no one is supposed to get your email addy from dol. maybe make sure it is a legit email and maybe if it is a bit suss email it to Troy as there may be some issues he needs to look at?

glad things are staying the same :)

Good luck with your furkids Monah. Each hour that passes you breathe a little easier. I know because our Jack Russell Tippy is a snake-ahoholic. His last encounter was a brown. We didn't know if he had been bitten, but our vet was wonderful too. So far Tippy is up 3-0, but we know his luck will run out one day- we have as snake proof a yard as possible, but.... Yep Scotland looks good.

Di.

:hug: This is my worst nightmare. I KNOW my dog would chase the snake. She loves moving things and slippery, sliding, wriggling things even better.

I hope things all turn out ok for you Monah! Fingers crossed and congratulations on such a great recall!!!

She's still fine so I should say not bitten. :hug:

Now my excuse for not doing housework has vanished.. :)

I'm not much of a trainer, but have been not negotiable with recall. She'll probably show me up oone day though, as long as it's not dangerous...

thankyou for all the good thoughts. it's so helpful to just write it down,, I would have exploded into an anxiety fit otherwise!!xxx

excellent Monah....good to hear no bitey's. i am like you, i am not worried about too much training but a solid recall is critical and a safety word.

i taught jaxx "WAIT" and if i yell that she stops in her tracks, hangs her head down and does not move a muscle until i get to her.

it saved her life when she got startled when we were out walking and the lead got out of my hand and there was traffic on the road.

because she waited the cars could go round her and i ran up and got her.......i didn't know i still had a sprint in me :D

oh, crap.

I've had my own dramas the last 24 hours and I only just noticed this Deb.

Glad to hear Moo is okay...it's one of my worst fears with Lilly...she would chase anything that moved including snakes. :)

Give her an extra special dinner tonight for being such a good girl and coming straight back.