Tiny Dog Peggy Deemed So Ferocious All Postal Deliveries Halted To Ent

Adza

Tiny dog Peggy deemed so ferocious all postal deliveries halted to entire street

She is ankle-height and looks cute - but Peggy the tiny Yorkshire terrier is deemed so ferocious by Britain's Royal Mail that it has halted postal deliveries to the entire street where she lives.

Dubbed the "Beast of Dorset Gardens" after the street's name, the 15-centimetre pooch is accused of terrorising postmen and neighbours alike in the central English city of Northampton.

The Royal Mail said in a letter to residents that it had halted deliveries to the street since December 7 after Peggy had attacked a postman.

"Because of the dog's behaviour, he [the postman] believes your mail cannot be delivered safely and in the circumstances I have instructed him not to deliver mail to your address," the letter said.

Her owners told the local newspaper that Peggy is all bark and no bite.

"Peggy has barked at the postman but she wouldn't hurt anyone. She is only little," Kathleen Joyce, 49, told the Northampton Chronicle.

"She has been in this family for 10 years and there is no way we are going to get rid of her."

But the family's neighbours - who have been forced to make a 22 kilometre journey to pick up their mail - think differently.

"It is a vicious little thing and I have seen it going for the postman," one of them told the paper, asking not to be named.

The local council said it had ordered the family to rehome Peggy and warned that they could themselves lose their rented house if they fail to comply.

AFP

http://www.smh.com.au/world/strangebuttrue...0121-19yai.html

Is that a bit over the top or what??

It is so disrepectful to small dogs to assume they can't bite or be aggressive, or it's cute if they are. I still carry a scar on my finger from a Chihuahua bite when I was a child. If the dog involved had been a big dog, the story would not have have taken such a lighthearted view of the problem. In fact, if this had been a big dog, I don't think there would be a story at all.

It's not funny and if you take out the excuses made because of size, it's a serious issue.

She looks cute - but Peggy the Terrier is deemed so ferocious by Britain's Royal Mail that it has halted postal deliveries to the entire street where she lives.

Dubbed the "Beast of Dorset Gardens" after the street's name, the pooch is accused of terrorising postmen and neighbours alike in the central English city of Northampton.

The Royal Mail said in a letter to residents that it had halted deliveries to the street since December 7 after Peggy had attacked a postman.

"Because of the dog's behaviour, he [the postman] believes your mail cannot be delivered safely and in the circumstances I have instructed him not to deliver mail to your address," the letter said.

Her owners told the local newspaper that Peggy is all bark and no bite.

"Peggy has barked at the postman but she wouldn't hurt anyone ". Kathleen Joyce, 49, told the Northampton Chronicle.

"She has been in this family for 10 years and there is no way we are going to get rid of her."

But the family's neighbours - who have been forced to make a 22 kilometre journey to pick up their mail - think differently.

"It is a vicious thing and I have seen it going for the postman," one of them told the paper, asking not to be named.

The local council said it had ordered the family to rehome Peggy and warned that they could themselves lose their rented house if they fail to comply.

AFP

"Peggy has barked at the postman but she wouldn't hurt anyone. She is only little,"

oh!! I see! Well if she's little then there's no problem is there! :rasberry:

I've been chased (read charged) by a little dog when doing a pamphlet run at 12yrs old. The small size can make it a bit worse even, they are the ones which often get through the fencing.

That particular dog got a decent swipe on the nose with a coles pamphlet and still followed me out of the street barking the whole way. Never delivered to that street again!

I don't mind dogs barking at the fence occasionally, it's very good security for the people. It's just annoying when people don't admit that their dog is doing it! One of my girls came to us with some serious issues at 1yr old, and though greatly improved still guards the property like anything. So we put her around the back! And when we do have her around the front (at the moment we put her there to watch and play with the new puppy - we have been warned about puppy theft) we go out and check what she's barking about. And always let the postman know that they can drop things over the fence or leave them at the post-office if their worried.

Yes seems odd that the owners cannot just put the dog inside the house then clearly allowing it to run around the street as it must do to frighten the post man enough to not deliver to the whole street rather than just that particular house. Strange.

Little dogs still have very sharp large teeth and they HURT! Just because they are small doesn't mean the bite don't hurt.

Edited by Keira&Phoenix

My neighbours directly across the street have always had the most feral group of chihuahuas, all interbreeding with each other. After 9 years of them running up and down the street attacking anything and everything, barking and snarling endlessly and causing my dogs to go spare I finally got jack of it last year when their behaviour caused a serious injury to my old dog which resulted in 2 leg wounds and 8 staples to close it. She could only have a local to have it fixed as well due to her advanced age. I spoke to the owners (who are lovely but from a non-English speaking background) and they just didn't get why I was so upset. So I rang the council. I told them all the incidents I could recall, including the numerous attacks on me when I was just getting out of my car and we are now down to only one chihuahua, one staffy and one furry cross breed, all behind a besser brick fence and steel gate. Also no more pregnancies/puppies. Every now and then there is an escape but it is a hell of a lot quieter in my street and I've noticed a lot more people walking their dogs up and down again. I can't believe no-one before me rang and complained about them. I waited so long because I chose to manage my dogs rather than create a problem with otherwise lovely neighbours. The wife still doesn't speak to me (and no xmas card last year!) because it means she can't just drive in and out of her yard without stopping to open and close the gate but the husband still says hello.

So anyone who says a small dog can't cause havoc is full of it.

I have a teeny tiny little dog, and he is still ... a dog. With teeth, instict, drive and speed. Sure he looks cute and small but really, what idiot owner wouldn't just block off access to the mail slot??

I trust Timmy with people he knows, but when approached by strangers (especially littlies) I always keep him close on lead and state firmly "he's not friendly with strangers". The glares I get are unbelievable! A woman once said "oh but he's so tiny, surely I can pat him?". Ummm. NO.

I'm just protecting my dog and your safety - sheesh!

I saw a pic of this little dog & his family on TV. The 'family' looked more like a gang. Bunch of strapping lads.

Agree that's it's not funny to encourage any dog, big or small, to be 'ferocious'.

Only dog that's ever bitten me, deliberately, was a small white fluffy.

Why the hell can't the dog be locked away from the mailbox :eek:

:confused: I first read this as Why the hell can't the dog be locked away in the mailbox :mad

Sorry, not a funny story...

Then why are you rofling ? :cry:

Quick, solemn face back on.

Sounds like another dysfunctional local government situation coming out of England. People are not having their mail delivered because the postman would sooner stop delivering to an entire street than boot the dog next time it comes near him, and the council won't take effective action, so the women with her 3kg dog control the neighbourhood.

Being a tiny breed is NO excuse for bad behaviour. The problem is that a lot of owners who have these tiny breeds treat them like fragile children instead of the dog that they are. A dog is a dog is a dog!!!

My mini schnauzers are not treated any differently as far as obeying commands as was my Great Dane, now at the bridge. A small dog can, as we have already found out, wreak havoc just as much as a large breed. It's not cute to see a littlie baring teeth and 'attacking'. Most of the time it is in fact the owners and not the dog's fault for this sort of behaviour.

Ferocious or not, Workcover will not cover people entering properties with dogs regardless of the assurances given.

The properties are deemed: Property at risk; and estimates are made of electricity use etc, by meter readers.

They do have the technology for wireless meter reading though.

I think there is also the issue of not wanting people on your property and dogs will help with that.

ACCESS DENIED

Postman Pat is only a Marionette, anyway. :)

On the other side, if people are to have access then don't we get tired of telling them the correct process to follow?.

post-3970-1295605243_thumb.jpg

Britain - a nation that would deliver death threats to a woman who put a cat in a wheelie bin, but finds it funny when a tiny yorkie attacks the postman...

Until the postman punts the ratty little dog into the middle of next week. At which point the nation will issue death threats against him...