Dr B's Barf

kirst_goldens

Dr B's Barf lost me when they changed companies and went with VIP pet foods.
I think its strange too Adnil444. The pet supplies people told me its was the same recipe also. Kangaroo was his favourite BARF, change of packaging now he turns his nose up at it. I tried mixing eggs in there to entice him but still wouldn't touch it. He's not usually a fussy eater either. :(

For the texture to change that much you can only guess how much the product had to change for it to be so noticeable. Not only does it contain so much linseed that it coats the poo in such a way it looks to have been rolled in linseed the smell has also changed. I do not trust VIP pet foods and could not continue to buy Dr B's Barf. My dogs did not like the new Dr B's Barf and they were itchy - putting that down to the excess amount of linseed because they never had a problem with it before.

I was a distributor of Dr B's Barf for several years and this decision was not taken lightly but was necessary. Not only were my dogs not happy with the change but customers who had been purchasing it from me for many yrs were also not enjoying it either. I told some how to make it themselves when supplies were difficult and to feed holistic dry food - or wait. Those who waited have been much happier with the change over to Big Dog and so are we.

Agree with everything u have said Andisa!!

The story I've been told is this:

Dr B's Barf had a trust relationship with the original manufacturer over the Barf recipe.

There was a falling out and because he didn't own the recipe patent the company started manufacturing it for themselves to the original recipe.

Dr B has now found a new manufacturer, changed the texture and learnt a really tough lesson about patents and business.

So I understand Big Dog is the original Barf recipe and Dr B's is a minor variation in texture (and one ingredient?) for legal reasons.

Assuming this information is right, I will be staying with Dr Bs. Apart from my dogs are fine on it, I prefer ethical behaviour in the companies I support.

As other have said there is always two sides and the side we got direct from big dog... puts Br B in the silly section so i guess we wont know the answer...

We will soon be stocking the big dog and will not be feeding or selling the dr b's i still think the world of him as a vet and what not but the change in these paties makes me cringe :S Its raw meat and my boy WILL NOT TOUCH it he just hngs out for his bones and is dropping weight... at 15 this is just not good enough... clients have also noticed the change and have boxes of BARF that isnt being eaten and are pissed to say the least that there money is going down the drain everynight

Funny about that as my stockist cannot get enough of Dr B's - it flies out the door. I'v had to wait on several occasions for the next delivery and ask them to hold it for me. They also sell another "Barf" product, not sure which one it is, but it doesn't sell anywhere like the Dr B's. My dogs love it and I've got a fussy eater.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dr B's Barf lost me when they changed companies and went with VIP pet foods.
I think its strange too Adnil444. The pet supplies people told me its was the same recipe also. Kangaroo was his favourite BARF, change of packaging now he turns his nose up at it. I tried mixing eggs in there to entice him but still wouldn't touch it. He's not usually a fussy eater either. :(

For the texture to change that much you can only guess how much the product had to change for it to be so noticeable. Not only does it contain so much linseed that it coats the poo in such a way it looks to have been rolled in linseed the smell has also changed. I do not trust VIP pet foods and could not continue to buy Dr B's Barf. My dogs did not like the new Dr B's Barf and they were itchy - putting that down to the excess amount of linseed because they never had a problem with it before.

I was a distributor of Dr B's Barf for several years and this decision was not taken lightly but was necessary. Not only were my dogs not happy with the change but customers who had been purchasing it from me for many yrs were also not enjoying it either. I told some how to make it themselves when supplies were difficult and to feed holistic dry food - or wait. Those who waited have been much happier with the change over to Big Dog and so are we.

Agree with everything u have said Andisa!!

The story I've been told is this:

Dr B's Barf had a trust relationship with the original manufacturer over the Barf recipe.

There was a falling out and because he didn't own the recipe patent the company started manufacturing it for themselves to the original recipe.

Dr B has now found a new manufacturer, changed the texture and learnt a really tough lesson about patents and business.

So I understand Big Dog is the original Barf recipe and Dr B's is a minor variation in texture (and one ingredient?) for legal reasons.

Assuming this information is right, I will be staying with Dr Bs. Apart from my dogs are fine on it, I prefer ethical behaviour in the companies I support.

As other have said there is always two sides and the side we got direct from big dog... puts Br B in the silly section so i guess we wont know the answer...

We will soon be stocking the big dog and will not be feeding or selling the dr b's i still think the world of him as a vet and what not but the change in these paties makes me cringe :S Its raw meat and my boy WILL NOT TOUCH it he just hngs out for his bones and is dropping weight... at 15 this is just not good enough... clients have also noticed the change and have boxes of BARF that isnt being eaten and are pissed to say the least that there money is going down the drain everynight

Funny about that as my stockist cannot get enough of Dr B's - it flies out the door. I'v had to wait on several occasions for the next delivery and ask them to hold it for me. They also sell another "Barf" product, not sure which one it is, but it doesn't sell anywhere like the Dr B's. My dogs love it and I've got a fussy eater.

Nothing funny about it, just because some dogs are not keen on it does not mean the product should be removed from every shelf freezer. My comments are mine and I don't expect anyone to stop feeding Dr B's Barf nor have I suggested it, if your dogs are happy with then please stay on it. I am sure you have changed products in the past for the same reason I have - same thing.

As I said earlier - there are more options to feeding barf - that is a good thing.

Erny - where is your broken record when I need it? I changed products for reasons stated (lots) above.

Please anyone who cares - feed what ever you want to - what ever your comfortable with..

Edited by Andisa

If I can get my hands on the Big Dog Barf, I will give this a try. The other Barf my stockist sells I'm sure isn't Big Dog though, I think it is Country Barf??? Happy to give Big Dog a try and see how my dogs go on it and if it is a bit cheaper, then all the better.

Erny - where is your broken record when I need it? I changed products for reasons stated (lots) above.

Lol .... you mean my "Calendula Tea" one?

post-5887-1296173067.jpg

Completely OT, i know, my apologies to the OP :eek: , BUT, just yesterday I had advised one of my puppy buyers to use the Calendula Tea, as her pup and reacted to something, and was completely miserable with lots of hives/scratching etc, etc. Ernie I think I had a smile on my face while I was explaining to her how to use it, thinking about you :) :

Completely OT, i know, my apologies to the OP :D , BUT, just yesterday I had advised one of my puppy buyers to use the Calendula Tea, as her pup and reacted to something, and was completely miserable with lots of hives/scratching etc, etc. Ernie I think I had a smile on my face while I was explaining to her how to use it, thinking about you :rofl: :

Lol .... that's funny.

Did it help, though? PM me, maybe .... as I'm being too rude to the OP for taking this OT too much :laugh:.

Thanks Erny - and you know I respect your opinions and I have no doubt that Andisa is passionate about what we feed our dogs. However my post was more about people being clear when they have vested interests or indeed conflicts of interest which are not disclosed as is the case here. The highlighted part of post 16 is not clear that Andisa has moved to BigDog as a distributor. I assumed she was simply buying the BigDog product after leaving Dr B's as a distributor so felt mislead when she finally confirmed she was a Bigdog distributor, particularly after her earlier posts which clearly favoured the BigDog product and her queries about chemical additions to competing products (evidence?). I don't believe that Andisa was clear to readers who do not know her from a bar of soap.

But am happy to leave it at that and happy to agree to disagree. I wish Andisa all the best in her new distributorship.

Personally, people will continue to do what they believe is best for their dogs as they should. And their values and ethics will also play a part in that decision.

Thank you for finally being clear about that. Post #16 is not clear that you are actually a Big Dog distributor so you have a vested interest in people buying that one of two competing products. We can now evaluate what you have to say properly. Thank you.

Hi Westiemum .... I know Andisa and in all my contact with her, food and its quality is very high on her agenda.

Edited by westiemum

My dogs went off it too, and I stopped trying when they turned their noses up at the rabbit blend - rabbit is their favourite meat of all time.

I'll have to see if Big Dog is sold in the ACT.

Yes I understand that Crisovar, but I thought she was talking about her Dr B's barf customers...

And the fact we both saw it differently tends to support that we all need to be transparent and clear online... particularly when we actually know very little of each other.

Anyway, I hope her new business does well.

Andisa mentioned her customers in that post I presumed from that she sold the product, nothing appeared hidden to me.

Thanks Erny - and you know I respect your opinions and I have no doubt that Andisa is passionate about what we feed our dogs. However my post was more about people being clear when they have vested interests or indeed conflicts of interest which are not disclosed as is the case here. The highlighted part of post 16 is not clear that Andisa has moved to BigDog as a distributor. I assumed she was simply buying the BigDog product after leaving Dr B's as a distributor so felt mislead when she finally confirmed she was a Bigdog distributor, particularly after her earlier posts which clearly favoured the BigDog product and her queries about chemical additions to competing products (evidence?). I don't believe that Andisa was clear to readers who do not know her from a bar of soap.

But am happy to leave it at that and happy to agree to disagree. I wish Andisa all the best in her new distributorship.

Personally, people will continue to do what they believe is best for their dogs as they should. And their values and ethics will also play a part in that decision.

Thank you for finally being clear about that. Post #16 is not clear that you are actually a Big Dog distributor so you have a vested interest in people buying that one of two competing products. We can now evaluate what you have to say properly. Thank you.

Hi Westiemum .... I know Andisa and in all my contact with her, food and its quality is very high on her agenda.

Westiemum - odd question but do u work for or sell either of the discussed products?

I only meant to bring this up as a general discussion i never meant for it to be blown out of th water like this the reasons why the compaines departed ways is kinda beside the point i just wanted to know if anyone was getting similar reactions.. and some are some arnt question answered :laugh: I value EVERYONES opinons equally as i know we all have the puppers best interests at heart :laugh:

Westiemum - odd question but do u work for or sell either of the discussed products?

Yes it is an odd question. No. if I did I would have said so up front. Clear, transparent.

Which is what I did - you clearly misunderstood.

One thing I have learnt though is either write in capitals and or bold it where it matters the most or not reply at all.

Sorry to the OP for this thread turning to crap - clearly not my intentions.

You know, there are two sides to every story.

Don't make assumptions about anything, if you don't know, you don't know.

Sometimes, business relationships can and do sour for a variety of reasons known only to the people involved.

My dogs love the Big Dog BARF...if it was easier to get around here, I'd be buying it. :bottom:

if this was meant for me - I only know what I was told and I would have been very happy to stay with Dr B's Barf if they went with a company who had better ethics and if the dogs were still happy with the product - unfortunately it never went that way and I had to seek another alternative.

No, wasn't directed to a particular poster but in general. I'm sure that whatever happened, it happened for commercial reasons. Businesses don't stay in business if they're not aimed at making money. Dr B is obviously a business man as well as a vet, and Big Dog foods is also obviously a business interested in making profits and keeping customers happy. They also make supplements etc so aren't reliant on the raw patties solely. I understand they're also big in the racing world...greyhounds and horses? I don't know much about them other than what I see online...

I have no vested interest here other than what my dogs like to eat. They like the Big Dog BARF patties in preference to the Dr B's...and the Dr B's have gone up in price while I think the Big Dog ones are cheaper.

How much do the Big Dog patties work out per kg?

I can't find prices on their website.

also how many grams are in each individual wrapping/patty?

It depends on who retails them. :laugh:

I'm not sure of the weight per patty, but I give one or two to my larger dogs and just a quarter or so to my toy-sized girl. It depends on what else they're getting that day. :laugh:

I pay about $22 for a box of 12 patties. They're 250g each so 3kg in total.

So in answer to your q about $7 per kg.

Edited by moosepup

I pay about $22 for a box of 12 patties. They're 250g each so 3kg in total.

So in answer to your q about $7 per kg.

Thank You :laugh: