Thoughts Please

Rysup

Here is a scenario for you.

You get a puppy "dropped" on your doorstep by a "friend". You did not ask for a puppy, nor get given any warning.

You take the puppy in and show it, and feed it and pay for all expenses. The puppy is leased to you for showing purposes.

You and the breeder have a falling out over something else, and they demand the puppy back. You agree, but then tragedy strikes and puppy dies before it gets returned.

Breeder makes various threats and demands, and in the end you tell them to not contact you again. Its too stressful.

Three years go by, and then you get a message from that breeder again making demands and threatening court action.

What would you do?

Do you think the breeder has anything to actually take to court? There was no agreement, either verbal or written. Or would you offer to compensate the breeder as per their demands?

Thanks Bokezu, that's what I was thinking too, but wondered if I was way off base.

And thank you too Dunnwarren. It was a very sad saga, but I thought everyone had just moved on! Sadly not.

Edited by Rysup

my thoughts are that its very unfortunate the dog died, but you owe them nothing.

Not to mention that 3 years has gone on since last contact, Makes you wonder why now after all this time they want to drag it back up again.

I don't know why they would want to drag it back up now. I was a bit distressed about it last night, as when all this went on I was very upset. The dog was very much loved and we'd have never wished her dead instead of going back. So to have all those old feelings dredged up was hurtful.

As the other have said.

I would ignore it, let them make idol threats.

I would tell them if they continued that a report will be made about them for harrassment to the police and that you will be seeking legal advice in due course about their actions.

Like really, what drives some people, I just don't know. :)

I really dislike bullies. Some people need to get a life. :)

ETA: (I should read things better) If there is nothing in writing and only a lease on the pup then really how can they prove what was required by either party should it become a legal matter. Also was there a time frame on the lease? Accidents do happen, and things like that need to be in writing should something happen.

Like I said above, let them know that further action wil be taken for harrassment should they continue.

Edited by Stolzseinrotts

• 3 weeks later...

From memory the lease was for 2 years and I know he wanted to take her back for a litter.

The show lease becks, is just a transfer of the papers into my name, and after 2 years it would revert back into his name.

From memory the lease was for 2 years and I know he wanted to take her back for a litter.

The show lease becks, is just a transfer of the papers into my name, and after 2 years it would revert back into his name.

If the dog is in his name, and it is in writing, then you have a problem.

Your only out, as far as i can see, is if the dog was deceased during your two year tenure.

I hope it works out.