Running At Off Lead Dog Beach

kazads

So, my hubby had our Great Dane, Nala, at the dog beach this afternoon. This particular beach is very popular with tourists as the local caravan park back's directly on to it. Anyway, Nala was having a great time and loves running in the water. She was running in the water near some kids - was paying them no attention and doing her own thing. A women on the beach yelled out that "such a vicious dog should not be on the beach". My husband asked why she thought it was vicious and she replied that it was wearing a muzzle. Nala was not and has never had to wear a muzzle but walks on a halti and my OH had left it on her even though she was off lead. He corrected her and told her it was a halti, not a muzzle, and she proceeded to yell at him that she was ringing the council and reporting Nala to them.

OH had enough at this stage and told her to Fxxxk off to a non-dog beach (200 meters up the beach) if she does not like dogs.

Other people saw the altercation and were gobsmacked. One couple had their gorgeous, friendly doberman, who normally runs the length of the beach off lead with them, on lead because people on the beach had complained it was running off lead. Both that dog and ours would not hurt anyone and all of Nala's interactions with the dogs and people on the beach today were perfect.

My feeling is that as long as you have your dog at an off leash dog area and under affective control (which Nala was - as soon as the women started yelling, OH called her straight to him and she came immediately, she was not harrassing the kids or anyone), then there should not be an issue. Surely people using off lead dog beaches have to expect to encounter dogs off lead? Locals around here seem to be getting sick of being dictated to by tourists....

Edited by kazads

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG some people honestly. I cant believe how they make ridiculous assumptions and carry on like they own the beach.

I once had two large dogs come charging up to me my OH and Keira (on lead as she doesnt have good recall) and i grabbed Keira and told me OH to get the other dogs away because I was unsure of what all 3 dogs reactions would be. Meanwhile their owners come strolling along at least a km behind the dogs I yelled out can u get your dogs away .... No response just keep strolling along when they did come past they told me I shouldnt have my dog on the beach if she is vicious (she isnt) I then proceeded to point out with a few expletives that the rules of the beach were to have your dog in your immediate vicinity and under effective control, I met both of those they however did not. Made me very angry!!

So, my hubby had our Great Dane, Nala, at the dog beach this afternoon. This particular beach is very popular with tourists as the local caravan park back's directly on to it. Anyway, Nala was having a great time and loves running in the water. She was running in the water near some kids - was paying them no attention and doing her own thing. A women on the beach yelled out that "such a vicious dog should not be on the beach". My husband asked why she thought it was vicious and she replied that it was wearing a muzzle. Nala was not and has never had to wear a muzzle but walks on a halti and my OH had left it on her even though she was off lead. He corrected her and told her it was a halti, not a muzzle, and she proceeded to yell at him that she was ringing the council and reporting Nala to them.

OH had enough at this stage and told her to Fxxxk off to a non-dog beach (200 meters up the beach) if she does not like dogs.

Other people saw the altercation and were gobsmacked. One couple had their gorgeous, friendly doberman, who normally runs the length of the beach off lead with them, on lead because people on the beach had complained it was running off lead. Both that dog and ours would not hurt anyone and all of Nala's interactions with the dogs and people on the beach today were perfect.

My feeling is that as long as you have your dog at an off leash dog area and under affective control (which Nala was - as soon as the women started yelling, OH called her straight to him and she came immediately, she was not harrassing the kids or anyone), then there should not be an issue. Surely people using off lead dog beaches have to expect to encounter dogs off lead? Locals around here seem to be getting sick of being dictated to by tourists....

And then the tourist become seachangers and you'll be dictated by them, and they'll change the place into the place they had to get away from.

Guest english.ivy

It's funny when you see people [without a dog] fishing on a dog beach. They get all grumpy when random dogs come running up, trying to eat their catch and bait.

Though yesterday morning at the dog beach, my two were off lead, and a dog came past on lead and the dogs owner was acting as if her dog was dog aggressive, which going by it's body language, it looked like it wanted to eat Badger. I quickly called him away and all was fine.

And then the tourist become seachangers and you'll be dictated by them, and they'll change the place into the place they had to get away from.

Oh dear god, I so hope not :mad

Now you know why I plan my seaside holidays for cooler weather and non-school holiday periods.

What a cow. :D

We suffer so much in our area during School holiday periods it is not funny - tourists, idiots, hooligans..... I can't wait for school to go back so all these out of towner's and imbeciles can leave town!

I look at poor Nala and can't believe anyone could call her vicious :mad

I stopped going to the beach mainly because people assume a large dog will attack them or their dog. Doesn't matter if you have your dog under control or not if it is big in their eyes it isn't to be trusted.

Once on the dog beach a few years ago I put Sparkles on her lead because I could see something small in the distance that was a baby crawling during summer holidays too. Don't like tourists at all and even some regulars can be horrible, one lady whose dog happily played with Sparkles told me off afterwards saying she was too big to be at the beach. Sure she is big a Great Dane dangerous or viscious no but I now avoid dog beaches when it is holiday time or very hot the abuse isn't worth it.

Kazads jot a few notes about today down so if the lady does complain to council you have a good record and let council know what happened. Shouldn't get to that point, it never hurst to be prepared and give Nala a big hug and pat from me :mad

i do sympathise truly i do

but you gotta understand that people come first in this world and if theyre dog-fearing people then they really need careful handling

so i wouldnt encourage anyone to lose their cool and swear

best thing i reckon is put the dog on the leash ...and if you cant convince them quickly that the dog is ok then just go

dont add to the misconception that big dogs are evil further by sinking to the abuse..youll only support their fears and distrust

:mad I wouldn't take it personally. Some people have some funny ideas of what sharing a beach means. Thankfully, I've never had anyone behave like that towards me or my dogs, but if I did I would just put them on leash and keep walking. It's not worth getting upset about.

i do sympathise truly i do

but you gotta understand that people come first in this world and if theyre dog-fearing people then they really need careful handling

so i wouldnt encourage anyone to lose their cool and swear

best thing i reckon is put the dog on the leash ...and if you cant convince them quickly that the dog is ok then just go

dont add to the misconception that big dogs are evil further by sinking to the abuse..youll only support their fears and distrust

Sorry, but if they are dog fearing people then they should not be on a leash free dog area of the beach. Why is that my problem if they choose to put themselves into a situation they can't handle :( All she had to do was move 200 metres to her left and she would encounter no dogs at all.

OH did leash Nala and moved away from the lady immediately - but if you knew my husband you would also know that he does not tolerate idiots.

Now you know why I plan my seaside holidays for cooler weather and non-school holiday periods.

What a cow. :)

I actually love going peak summer school holiday season (well, I have no choice really!), we just choose the non patrolled more remote beaches. No problem thus far. :(

I do agree, she was a cow.

It frustrates me when these things happen & non dog people are so quick to ignorantly jump in and abuse you when you are doing the right thing. Like the guy who insisted I had not picked up my dogs poo- I saw her only do a wee but he blamed her for what was obviously an old dried out poo. :) I just rolled my eyes and picked it up.

You can't argue, it's better to smile and apologise & move on- I'm more concerned with creating less reasons for people to complain about dogs. Even if they are unjustified complaints.

I want to keep what few access privileges we have.

I went to the beach on the public holiday. My dobie is not visious, but she is a big girl and she gets really excited (she only turns 2 in a week), so I keep her on lead so she is under control (though if you could see my left hand today - you wouldn't say that hehehe). At the moment we're babysitting another big dog too (the most placid thing you've ever come across, my dobie tells him off), so we kept him on lead as well. It's interesting to hear all your comments about other peoples dogs and how tolerant you are, because the amount of people who were giving us filthy looks because we kept 2 big dogs on leash (so obviously visious) at the beach with our 2 children. We just kept walking and if a dog came up to us I gathered my dobie in and she just jumped around with me hanging onto her tight. I want to be able to enjoy the beach too and I kept my dogs under control, am I allowed at the beach?

Edited by Pauchel

I went to the beach on the public holiday. My dobie is not visious, but she is a big girl and she gets really excited (she only turns 2 in a week), so I keep her on lead so she is under control (though if you could see my left hand today - you wouldn't say that hehehe). At the moment we're babysitting another big dog too (the most placid thing you've ever come across, my dobie tells him off), so we kept him on lead as well. It's interesting to hear all your comments about other peoples dogs and how tolerant you are, because the amount of people who were giving us filthy looks because we kept 2 big dogs on leash (so obviously visious) at the beach with our 2 children. We just kept walking and if a dog came up to us I gathered my dobie in and she just jumped around with me hanging onto her tight. I want to be able to enjoy the beach too and I kept my dogs under control, am I allowed at the beach?

Of course you are - go for it. If it is a dog off leash beach and you have effective control of your girl, then what is the problem. When I encounter people who question why my dogs are in a park. beach etc off lead, I calmly explain to them that this is one of the few parks/beaches that allows dogs off- lead, however the council has provided hundreds more parks and beaches that dogs are not allowed so if you find this a problem, I suggest you go to one of the many many parks or beaches where you won't find a dog. :(

That lady was in the wrong. She may of been intimidated by Nala's size? We have a beach in my area where I plan on taking my dog when it's old enough. It has a section that is dog friendly and most people are really good actually. I saw a great dane playing in the water with it's owner and other dogs and I'm not sure how I would of felt if it had ran up to me but I knew I didn't have to worry. Almost all owners who let their dogs of the lead have great recall so I know I don't have to worry. The ones that don't I notice are usually kept on lead. Some people will walk their dogs off lead and when they are about to pass other people or dogs they will put their dog back on lead for a while. So generally I'm pretty lucky with the people that go to my local beach.