Humanising Dogs

all creatures

Those who don't anthropomorphise: do you talk to your dogs?

Like what sort of talk.... The 'get off the couch ,idiot' talk ,instead of 'go to your bed' or the "Hey,fido...do you know why God gave you fleas? No? So you remember you are a DOG" talk ?

:laugh:

Any sort of talk.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I guess I talk to the dogs..giving commands, and praise,and calling them ..but I don't discuss my day with them :laugh: I know hand signals/whistles will do ..and that dogs can interpret our body language accurately .Use of voice is handy,and more socially acceptable sometimes .

Are you suggesting that talking to dogs is "anthropomorphising" ? I don't think it is. Yes - I talk to my dog. I do it because I want to and acknowledge that I'm human and sometimes even need to. After all, if companionship wasn't part of a shared relationship with our dogs, why would most of have one (or two or three or four etc).

From Wiki :

Anthropomorphism is a term coined in the mid 1700s[1][2] to refer to any attribution of human characteristics (or characteristics assumed or believed by some to belong only to humans) to animals ...

So, do I believe that my dog understands what I say? Do I believe that my dog needs me to talk to him? Apart from when I'm giving known commands and giving feedback in training (use of voice), no.

Are you suggesting that talking to dogs is "anthropomorphising" ? I don't think it is. Yes - I talk to my dog. I do it because I want to and acknowledge that I'm human and sometimes even need to. After all, if companionship wasn't part of a shared relationship with our dogs, why would most of have one (or two or three or four etc).

It was a question not a suggestion. :laugh:

After all, if companionship wasn't part of a shared relationship with our dogs, why would most of have one (or two or three or four etc).

That's interesting ,actually.

Dogs around me are not my life & soul ,and neither do I fill their day with chatter.... but I enjoy watching them be dogs ..I love watching them hunt/run/play..and I like that they will bark & alert me to dangers ..and I like the secure feeling of having a dog sleeping in the room . I enjoy the tactile presence that is dog ,and the communications that are done without words :laugh:

Oh drop the rolled eyes Sheridan.

I asked the question so that you would understand why I was writing the rest of what I wrote. And given the thread title, why wouldn't I be led to believe that you raising talking to dogs as a question didn't relate to you thinking it was about humanising dogs? Maybe you should have explained that you were going OT by asking that question. Would have saved me from putting in my response in the first place.

Edited by Erny

Oh drop the rolled eyes Sheridan.

I asked the question so that you would understand why I was writing the rest of what I wrote. And given the thread title, why wouldn't I be led to believe that you raising talking to dogs as a question didn't relate to you thinking it was about humanising dogs? Maybe you should have explained that you were going OT by asking that question. Would have saved me from putting in my response in the first place.

You're overreacting. I rolled my eyes because had it not been a question there would not have been a question mark. Simple really. Drop the attack, Erny, because you're wasting your time. </ends>

I don't think it's sheer ignorance. I agree that we are humans and that's the only way we know how to relate to the world. I would bet that 99% of people on this forum humanise their dogs to an extent, and a lot of us sure aren't ignorant about dog behaviour.

I wasnt thinking about dog behaviour - I get annoyed when people want us to treat dogs like humans when their reproduction cycles and systems are unique to their own species.

I guess cuddles and pats are deffinately under that.. haha.

Dogs are so domesticated now they have been brought up within a human pack, but they still have those pack insticts that take over when there pack is failing in something.

I know dogs today are not what they use to be back in the day with all this baby crap they were not asked 10 times if they wanted something or what they were getting for dinner or if we asked them nicely our responce would get though quicker. I love my dogs they gets all the things they needs to survive plus the stimulation but the rest is just there natural instincts in the they react and live and respond, it is my job to think and treat them as dog and not as a human as they are not.

Sure they get affection but sometimes peoples affection is smothering aka babying.

Dogs are not born with separation anxiety we give them it!

so we obviously do sometimes more harm then good with our dogs.

For dogs to live with humans they need to have some sort of boundaries and rules by verbal or physical interaction for everything to go splended in a house hold, we are not dogs and we don't live in the wild so to do what other pack members would do would look a little insane, so we do it in a human way where the dogs still understand with "rewards".

just that some people go over board.. a little too much that is all :laugh:

Yes. But then, I hyave also been known to talk to the air, myself and furniture. I have spoken to my car, computer and other objects too. :laugh:

Not much different to those who do anthropomorphise then ... on all counts. :laugh:

Edited by Sheridan

I have probably been guilty of anthropomorphising my dogs a little too much in the past. But I do see it as a problem and don't intend to do it. I see them as dogs, animals, not humans. But they are definately part of the family, my companions, my best friends. I love them for being dogs. I often prefer their company to humans. If I viewed them the same way, I wouldn't have reason to prefer them to humans. IMO they sure have some better qualities!

Then there's my boss who is a human but I think of her as a....

well let's just say my dogs are smarter and sooo much nicer. :laugh:

Edited by Lollipup

I know dogs today are not what they use to be back in the day with all this baby crap they were not asked 10 times if they wanted something or what they were getting for dinner or if we asked them nicely our responce would get though quicker.

Incidentally, have you ever actually "asked" what your dog wants for dinner? Some of them have preferences! I think that is so damn cool.

IMO "humanising" an animal is as simple and common as saying your dog is happy. Or your dog loves X, Y and Z. Or your dog growls when he feels his personal space is being invaded. The thing is, it's hard to explain or even describe dog behaviour without humanising.

You're overreacting. I rolled my eyes because had it not been a question there would not have been a question mark. Simple really. Drop the attack, Erny, because you're wasting your time. </ends>

I disagree and still think your response to me was rude and unwarranted. I did not dispute that you asked a question, Sheridan ..... I was wondering why you asked it and what the connection was to the "Humanising Dogs" topic. Was there intended to be a connection? Or was it off topic?

I humanise. Often! And it does them absolutely no harm. They are my kids, my babies. I often refer to Bubby as my first born.

I pay attention to their likes, dislikes, fears, delight. I pay attention when they ask me for something or indicate a preference. I oblige them and give into certain requests which I deem are reasonable.

I have a wonderful relationship with my dogs and would say that my humanising has created a better bond between us.

I disagree and still think your response to me was rude and unwarranted. I did not dispute that you asked a question, Sheridan ..... I was wondering why you asked it and what the connection was to the "Humanising Dogs" topic. Was there intended to be a connection? Or was it off topic?

</ends> means no further response. I simply cannot be bothered with the drama and instant offence to a simple question. </ends again>

Yes. But then, I hyave also been known to talk to the air, myself and furniture. I have spoken to my car, computer and other objects too. :laugh:

Not much different to those who do anthropomorphise then ... on all counts. :laugh:

Actually, I think there is quite a bit of difference Sheridan. Although, predicatably, I knew you would try to claim talking to yourself and inanimate objects was anthropomorphising.

The meaning of anthropomorphise is:

Concise Oxford English Dictionary © 2008 Oxford University Press:

anthropomorphism /ˌanθrəpəˈmɔːfɪz(ə)m/

▶noun

the attribution of human characteristics or behaviour to a god, animal, or object.

– derivatives

anthropomorphize (or anthropomorphise) verb.

I am not, in anyway at all, attributing human characteristics to the air, furniture or my animals by talking out allowed :thumbsup: ALOUD to them. I do not expect an answer from furniture or a dog, nor do I expect that my spoken words are understood by anything apart from myself.

Edited by ~Anne~

I am not, in anyway at all, attributing human characteristics to the air, furniture or my animals by talking out allowed to them. I do not expect an answer from furniture or a dog, nor do I expect that my spoken words are understood by anything apart from myself.

Do you ever say your dogs are happy? Because technically that is anthropomorphising given we don't know whether dogs experience "happiness" the way we do.

I am not, in anyway at all, attributing human characteristics to the air, furniture or my animals by talking out allowed to them. I do not expect an answer from furniture or a dog, nor do I expect that my spoken words are understood by anything apart from myself.

Do you ever say your dogs are happy? Because technically that is anthropomorphising given we don't know whether dogs experience "happiness" the way we do.

A dog can show it's happiness in "dog" ways eg tail wagging etc. I don't think it is humanising to say your dog is happy when it's running across a field with bright eyes and alert posture - again dog behaviour. I think you can read a dog without converting everything you see to human characteristics.

The original question was why do we humanise dogs. The answer for those in the affirmative is that there is something in it for the human. To me it appears to be a level of indulgence aimed at pleasing the human first.

Dogs do experience some emotions. They are not devoid of feeling. They have sensory capacity. They are 'sentient'ebings. They wag their tails, they show fear, they feel hunger. They are not devoid of emotion and stating that to say a dog is happy is humanising it is taking the debate too far and mis-using the meaning of anthropomorphising.

I do not treat my dogs like pet rocks. But I also do not treat them as little humans in fur suits.

I actually buy them new toys, and I look forward to watching them revel in the exploration of a new toy. However, I do not buy them a 'gift' nor do I give them gifts when celebrating human based holidays such as Christmas. There is a total difference between providing them with a new toy and taking pleasure in doing this, and buying a gift (in particular wrappig it...) and giving it in some kind of ceremonial way as if the dog understands.

I provide them with jackets to wear in Winter during the night, as they get cold. I do this for their comfort.' I do not dress them to make them look pretty or because I want them to look cute. Mind you, dressing a dog for a simple bit of fun is not so adversive in my mind. There is no harm in the ocassional fun and it enhances a families experience with their dogs some times.

I provide them with a soft bed, fresh food, I play games with them. I do not humanise them. My dogs are dogs. They eat poo, they sniff each other's butts, they do things that dogs do and I do not think of them as 'my family'.