Humanising Dogs

all creatures

Some people will say it's anthropomorphic to believe that dogs can feel love or anger or jealousy, for example, other people think it is blindingly obvious that their dogs can feel these emotions.

This is very true. I've read that dogs do not feel remorse/guilt and that 'look' they get when they've done something wrong is simply appeasement behaviour but honestly if you saw Elbie after he has done something naughty - he looks extremely guilty and remorseful and if it's appeasement conduct, it must be in his genetic code because he certainly never learned that appeases us :bottom:

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people will say it's anthropomorphic to believe that dogs can feel love or anger or jealousy, for example, other people think it is blindingly obvious that their dogs can feel these emotions.

This is very true. I've read that dogs do not feel remorse/guilt and that 'look' they get when they've done something wrong is simply appeasement behaviour but honestly if you saw Elbie after he has done something naughty - he looks extremely guilty and remorseful and if it's appeasement conduct, it must be in his genetic code because he certainly never learned that appeases us :bottom:

It's true. I think the slippery slope is when people start to punish the dog because it looks guilty and therefore they assume it "knows" it's done wrong. I have no idea whether dogs are capable of feeling guilt or not, but even if they are it doesn't make that a good or fair training technique!

To be fair though, I also know some humans who say sorry to appease people, without actually feeling any guilt, so are they any different to the dog? It's an interesting subject.

I guess some people would say I'm anthropomorphic for believing that dogs can feel affection and love - but I think they're doing the opposite when they deny that dogs share this ability with humans - and I guess until we find a way to talk to dogs we'll never know who is right. :laugh:

People attribute human feelings to everything including inanimate things like boats, the ocean, cars, the TV, the oven.

People even project their own feelings and anxieties onto other people. Ie they imagine how other people feel without actually having any real idea. Sometimes you do know cos they told you and sometimes you guess all wrong. The person is not stroppy and angry because you did something wrong. They're out of sorts because they put their back out and are in pain, or someone important to them just died, or they have a big exam tomorrow, or the last customer - not you - was a PITA.

We don't just anthropromorphise our dogs. And I think we do it because it makes life easier to understand or even because it helps us manage our own feelings ie one might get a little less frustrated with the washing machine if we imagine it's had a hard day and that's why it leaked all over the floor.

My dogs are dogs and treated as such.

However I also enjoy getting them christmas presents, have a small birthday party etc. Sometimes I tell the dogs to go jump on their dad! Because we do have young kids it is probably habit more than anything. The dogs couldn't care less they just know sometimes they get an extra special treat and sometimes they get toys.

I don't worry about the feeling left out, they don't sleep on the bed, they are dogs and get disiplined etc as dogs, but if I want to do things -like a small birthday party- that I enjoy, then I will.

I don't think it's sheer ignorance. I agree that we are humans and that's the only way we know how to relate to the world. I would bet that 99% of people on this forum humanise their dogs to an extent, and a lot of us sure aren't ignorant about dog behaviour.

Exactly. I sure as hell humanise my pets, and I have 5 years of tertiary training in animal behaviour research. It's not easy to know when you're doing it. It goes well beyond the obvious. Take "disobedience" for example. I don't think it even exists in the animal world, but man, when your animal doesn't do what you tell them to, it is very hard to remember all the things animals do that look like "disobedience".

Anyone who says they don't humanise their dog either doesn't realise they're doing it or don't even interact with their dogs. I would go one further and bet anyone who interacts with their dog humanises it to some extent. I would far rather assume I'm doing it and look for it in every decision I make than live in denial. I am human, therefore I humanise.

My favourite thing about my dogs is that they ARN'T human, its a great disservice to them to treat them otherwise.

Sure we use phrases like "go find your mum" but I don't think we overly humanise them, sure I buy them nice coats they don't need for winter, they get christmas presents, I like taking them out with me if I'm going somewhere, they sleep in my bed and their dinner is prioritised over my own but I don't think any of this negatively effects them, you should see their faces when they get a present at christmas!

:bottom: I'm pretty much the same busterlove, yeah I know dogs don't know its christmas or when its their birthday, but its wonderful to see the delight on their faces when they get a new toy, (I don't think it affects them negatively at all )

I will put my hand up & say that I'm one of those owners that calls my dogs my kids,the dogs know my OH as dad & they know me as mummy (yep flame away if you want) my dogs are my life, I love them with all my heart, but I do realise they are dogs & not human & can respect that.

I always make sure My dogs basic needs are still met, they are all well trained, get lots of excercise & stimulation, they sleep in their own beds in our bed room are fed nutritious food, & get the right veterinary treatment when needed. I won't go as far as dressing them up in clothes though, I love the look of their natural coat too much... I'm not ashamed of loving my dogs & seeing them as more than "Just a Dog" (a term I personally hate as there is so much more to them than that).... my dogs all seem well balanced & very happy, & at the end of the day thats all that's important to me. :laugh:

ETA: I just thought I would add that I'm beginning to put together a birthday parcel for each puppy from my first litter (their bithday is coming up in April )

Of course I realise my babies don't know its their birthday, but I love each & every one of them...& it makes me happy that they are going to get something new aswell as putting a smile to my puppy owners face.

I'm afraid I'm also guilty as charged. I don't have human offspring (couldn't) but in hindsight I don't think I could love my 'furkids' any more than I do. I think you give/take from a relationship what you need/want..who should stipulate otherwise?

That guilt thing - people who reckon they cant comprehend guilt obviously havent had that look from a dog. The dog emerges from somewhere and is acting guilty so of course you go looking to see what the dog has done/destroyed/etc and 99 percent of the time there will be something that the dog has done that it shoudnt have.

To be accurate, we 'animalise' our dogs. Humans are not angelic presences. Humans are animals, too. We tune into some aspects of dog behaviour that have resonances of our own & tend to reward and reinforce them. Like, there's evidence that the way a dog learns has similarities with an early stage of human learning. So it's not surprising that reciprocal relationships have grown up between humans & dogs. Nor how 'old' this is.

Grave findings dating from 7500BC in Sweden, show dogs buried with the similar ceremony to humans. It's pointed out that, even by then, dogs had long been domesticated & that it was not difficult. And humans valued this 'closeness'.

The question is how appropriate are particular behaviours towards dogs. Just the same as adults have to ask how appropriate are particular behaviours towards children.

To answer those questions, we need to have knowledge. Like about dog traits & behaviours & how they develop... and there's lots of interesting stuff emerging about this.

And, for children, about child behaviour & its development.

Edited by mita

I am human, therefore I humanise.

zackly! :bottom:

Maybe it's because we have the capacity to feel love?

Guilty as charged (but shhh it's a secret ...don't tell my dogs... :laugh: ) How hard is it to resist that "look" they give you sometimes....

Edited by all creatures

I agree that pet ownership is a personal thing and the way different people interact and relate to their dogs will vary!

We refer to Poppy as our fur baby and to ourselves as Mummy and Daddy! Poppy sleeps on our bed, is allowed on the couch when invited and comes with us on outings occasionally!

She also knows who the boss is, listens to the commands we give, spends time outside being a dog and enjoys the company of othe dogs!

I don't think the fact that some people "humanize" their dogs makes them better or worse owners than those who don't! Different strokes for different folks and all that!

My dogs are dogs but they are my babies and I call them that all the time. I could not have kids so they are my family in so many ways. I hate that term furkids they are just my kids. Yes I humanise them, yes I love them to death. I would not have it any other way. Yes they get Christmas and birthday gifts. They sleep in my bed they live in my house if people don't like it lump it. They have given me so much more comfort and love over the years than any other human being on the planet. As far as I am concerned I like it this way and it works for me. So it is staying this way. Humans or dogs I know which one I would prefer to share my life with.

It's true. I think the slippery slope is when people start to punish the dog because it looks guilty and therefore they assume it "knows" it's done wrong. I have no idea whether dogs are capable of feeling guilt or not, but even if they are it doesn't make that a good or fair training technique!

:bottom: It would be hard to punish my doggies when they look guilty so perhaps their appeasement behaviour works. Admittedly, Elbie as a pup did it when he didn't quite make it to the door in time and wet on the floor. He was never punished for soiling inside but I think he just wasn't happy about the mistake.

To be fair though, I also know some humans who say sorry to appease people, without actually feeling any guilt, so are they any different to the dog? It's an interesting subject.

Haha. The extreme angle of that in humans is psychopathy - an abnormal lack of empathy combined with strongly amoral conduct but masked by an ability to appear outwardly normal. Apparently intelligent psychopaths have learned to mimic human behaviour and empathy (including appeasement behaviours) in such a way that you'd never know they were psychopaths unless you knew what to look for. I wish I did know exactly how much my dogs 'felt' and understood. They certainly seem to feel happiness, excitement, boredom, frustration, irritation ... But as you say, we'll never know until Dr Dolittle comes along ..

Despite his ageing grumpy mental health issues, my Grumpy has utterly exquisite manners. Waits to be invited in for a pat and a cuddle. Very polite boy. On the odd occasion due to weather or in my previous house, not-so-safe fencing, I've left him inside and he's had to do a poo or a wee indoors. He's actually hid himself, peeking around corners, when I've discovered the mess. He doesn't come out until I've spoken to him in reassuring tones. It's like he's embarrassed. Now that's totally anthropomorphising my dog but that's what it looks like and it's funny because it's doesn't seem to be that he thinks he's going to get into trouble because he never has with me for doing so and his breeder says the same.

As for Mini, she never gets into trouble cos she's a good girl.

I think personally that it is incredibly dangerous and the effects of humanising dogs is already seen. Let dogs be dogs.

My dogs are not bought birthday or chritsmas gifts, I don't refer to them as my 'furkids' nor am I their mummy and my husband is not their daddy. They don't sleep me with, nor do I expect that I will take them everywhere with me so they don't get 'upset or offended' at being left out. They are dogs. Animals. I love them, I care for them, and they are my companions but that is as far as it goes. I understand 100% that they are a dog.

Well said.

Extended on the 'we are humans' bit, we are also individuals, with our own quirks and personalities, strengths and weaknesses. I certainly don't see my dogs as humans but believe they also are individual within their pack, with their own quirks, personalities, strengths and weaknesses.

The family I was raised in always had dogs. They were all outside dogs, including working dogs. Their basic care needs were met, some were dogs we played with and some were not. None were allowed in the house and all seemed to understand what they could and couldn't do. I got my first own dog that I chose as a teenager. She was and OES and she was one wierd dog! Even though she was an outside dog she was allowed to come into the loungeroom and stay on a specific mat for a period of time at night. She used to sit on a chair on the verandah and on the front steps like a human with her back legs dangling down. She loved baths (which she got a lot of as she was allows burying stuff in the dirt). She loved rides - in the car, in the wheelbarrow, on a trike we had since we were kids. And one year she was clipped back and kind of lost her mojo so we came up with the idea of her wearing an old woollen jumper of dad's. She lived in that thing and used to confuse the postman when she'd sit all human like on the top step of the verandah. She avoided all other dogs and animals. I'm really not sure she knew what she was. We didn't make her like this - this is who she was.

Over the years I've had several more dogs and all bar one have been no frills type dogs who were not big on cuddles or mollycoddling, and certainly would not deem to don clothing even if I tried. But my most recent addition (an SBT) LOVES clothes on her body (but nothing on her head). She loves stuffed toys, and tug toys and balls. She is very inquisitive. She wants to smooch everyone and can't just sit like a normal dog - she needs to be draped over someone and covered by something. Again, I didn't teach her any of this and she also does the same behaviours with the other dogs, not just with humans. I love it because it is so different from what I am used to. Could it seem like I am humanising her? Yes, but I feel like she indicated to me this is what she likes and who she is. I feel like I'm just supporting her to be herself and she is a much more content and confident dog for it.

Those who don't anthropomorphise: do you talk to your dogs?

Like what sort of talk.... The 'get off the couch ,idiot' talk ,instead of 'go to your bed' or the "Hey,fido...do you know why God gave you fleas? No? So you remember you are a DOG" talk ?

:laugh: