Bitch Looking For Pups

Burdy

My girl had a litter of 8 still births by cesarean section today

She had gone in to full labour for a few hours before I could get the vet. She has now come home and is pacing and digging through the house. When outside she just whines to come straight back in again then proceeds to try and dig in, around and under anything and everything in the house.

It was suggested to me to give her a couple of teddy bears or rolled up sock to 'mother' but she is not interested in them.

Any suggestions to help her get throught his stage would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Rescue remedy, she will get over it.

I have been told it's not good to encourage the behavior after losing puppies and during a phantom.

I'm sorry for the loss of your puppies, hugs to Mina and yourself.

Thanks SwaY ;)

About how long should it take for her to get over it? And a what point should I worry if at all?

I've had girls lose pups before but they haven't noticed as they still have the rest of the litter to concentrate on. Not had a bitch phantom before either.

When my bitch lost her litter, the best thing I did was put her straight back out with the other dogs and act like nothing had happened. Inside she was mourning so terribly it broke my heart. But once she was back to normal, she was much better.

poor thing ;) Yep.. mindful of her surgery wound.. try & keep her away from whelping area... remove any bedding she used.. keep her as busy as practical ..and don't fuss over her :laugh:

Rescue remedy in her water ..or directly in her mouth ... perhaps even invest in a D A P infuser

Thanks Rysup and Pers

Yep have removed all bedding etc before she came home tonight (did this for myself more so as I couldn't bare looking at it ;) ) and cleaned out whelping box with bleach solution ready for OH to take it back up to the shed - unfortunately the thing weighs a tonne so is not easily taken back to storage. have now shut door to that room until box can be removed.

She has settled a bit in here with us but at times gets up and goes to the door.

Besides this she seems to be straight back to her old loving self

My bitch has 8 4 day old girls to fuss over BUT she still paces and whines and appears to be "looking" for the little boy that passed...

Its hard really..... I know eventually she will be ok but still it's sad to watch her :eek:

My bitch has 8 4 day old girls to fuss over BUT she still paces and whines and appears to be "looking" for the little boy that passed...

Whilst im certainly no expect, my bitch recently did the same thing.

A visit to the vet to confirm nothing left over, tables to help produce milk + Valium.

Nope, she was still doing it 4-5 days later.

She was given some more oxy, and within 30min she was perfect just like her previous litters.

(she had been given oxy, it was just obviously not enough)

Its hard really..... I know eventually she will be ok but still it's sad to watch her :eek:

More likely that she's feeling insecure. Not sure where she's whelped but have a good look around. Shut the curtains, close doors around her, remove other dogs from the house or kennels next to hers, put a lid on the box and make it more cave like.

If she's not had an calcium I;d be looking into that as well.

About how long should it take for her to get over it? And a what point should I worry if at all?

I have been told very bitch is different, best you can do is keep a real close eye on her.

And take her to the vets if you feel she needs a check up.

Sorry you lost the litter Mastini.

When my girls have lost a pup I have let them see it is dead. One girl was franic until I left the pup in the box (on the other side to mum and litter) to give her time to mourn the loss of that pup, then she was OK for me to take him away.

Each dog is different, with the girls I have had that phantom, I try to have them in a normal routine but also let them get on with how they are feeling - it is a natural process afterall.

More likely that she's feeling insecure. Not sure where she's whelped but have a good look around. Shut the curtains, close doors around her, remove other dogs from the house or kennels next to hers, put a lid on the box and make it more cave like.

If she's not had an calcium I;d be looking into that as well.

She's in our sleep-out. Curtains closed, away from everything. He was quite sick this wee boy - crying with the bowel pain. My vet came and took him, drained his tummy and gave him some metoclopramide. She then brought him back - he died on the way home.......

We did show him to her - and have removed all the things that smelt like him since then....

she's had oxy and calcium.....

So sad :laugh:

Thanks everyone. I gave her another dose of oxy last night to help get rid of the black crap she is still expelling.

She stayed indoors with us until we went to bed but then I let her out (she has always slept on the front veranda) when I went to bed, more so to let my exhaustion take hold and sleep :laugh: I lay listening to her pace and whine for a while, she kept coming up to my bedroom window and stick her nose in and really tell me she wasn't happy, but I was that stuffed I must of fallen asleep. Woke this morning and she seems ok, came inside had her antibiotics and breaky and followed me about for a bit. She then went to her crate and started to tear up her mat so I really growled at her, she looked at me in shock and promptly lay down and went to sleep :eek:

I'm sure she will be fine, probably better than me :eek:

Its good to know everyones experiences as yes they are all different and react to things differently.

I have no advice.....when my girl lost all her babies except 1 last year it was her first litter, she did not seem to notice anything but him thankfully, I was so so greatful that we had him, I wish so much for your mama that she had even 1 little one to look after.

I am so so sorry for your loss, just heartbreaking :eek::eek::laugh:

Sorry for loss to Hotwyr ~ it is sad and really sux ey? I guess my saving grace is I didn't have to watch any of these babies suffer :laugh:

:eek: to you and your girl

Thanks so much Mastini,

I really feel for you and your poor girl.... did the vet know why she still birthed?

The good thing is your girl is still alive and well!! I know sometimes it's little comfort but there's always someone worse off, isn't there?

Give your girl a big kiss from me, lots of fuzzy kisses (18 to be exact) from the wires and a siberian lick from all of us here at Hotwyr xoxox

Edited by Hotwyr

When my bitch lost her litter, the best thing I did was put her straight back out with the other dogs and act like nothing had happened. Inside she was mourning so terribly it broke my heart. But once she was back to normal, she was much better.

That would have been my plan of action. Just keep a careful eye on the stitches.

Sorry about the litter

Do you have a trusted friend or family member that can take her for a few days.

I did this when a friends dog lost a litter delivered naturally and although she mourned for a day or so she soon got back to normal and when she returned home a few days later she was no longer stressed and looking for her puppies