Maltese Puppy?

~Storm~

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I am looking to purchase ASAP. (I have a month before Uni/work starts so like my previous puppies I want to use this time to train etc the puppy)

Are all the breeders on this site (http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/puppies.asp) reputable breeders? Or is it just a pay for ad page?

Edit - Can anybody recommend a breeder?

And will a Maltese puppy be alright from a flight from the East Coast to WA? :eek:

Also why the discrepancy between pricing? I see some breeders charge ~$600 and others ~$1000 for a male puppy.

Is more to do certain breeders selling puppys on the Main register and others being sold on Limited papers? Or that the cheaper puppies don't quite fit the breed standard in terms of looks? Or is mearly that some breeders just like to sell at a cheaper price :eek:

Oh, this is from this website (as opposed from the community newspaper haha)

Well for starters i wouldn't rush to get a pup just because it suits now,you may end up with a pup that simply isn't suitable at all.

Pups travel well but if you want a pup quickly then you need to build a good trust if buying from east .

You wiil be buying site unseen so you need to trust the person is sending you what you are expecting.

Have you not tried the WA Malt breeders Kym Prendergast has some stunning Malts .

We have Havanese breeders in WA too.

The Havanese is no bigger than a Lhaso even a Shihtzu could be comparable in this size range.

Grooming depends if you want a full coat or clip off but keep in mind that will cost around $50/60 .

I have to agree & say the fist breed i thought off was a Papillion as well.

Well for starters i wouldn't rush to get a pup just because it suits now,you may end up with a pup that simply isn't suitable at all.

Pups travel well but if you want a pup quickly then you need to build a good trust if buying from east .

You wiil be buying site unseen so you need to trust the person is sending you what you are expecting.

Have you not tried the WA Malt breeders Kym Prendergast has some stunning Malts .

The Havanese is no bigger than a Lhaso even a Shihtzu could be comparable in this size range.

Grooming depends if you want a full coat or clip off but keep in mind that will cost around $50/60 .

Thanks for you comment showdog. Your right, I will have to wait to find a good breeder first, especially if I look at purchasing from interstate. I have already contacted some breeders and am awaiting their reply.

Grooming is not a not an issue and we will have the dog in a pet clip, but I will first have to find a good groomer.

Oh, I am looking to purchase ASAP. (I have a month before Uni/work starts so like my previous puppies I want to use this time to train etc the puppy)

Are all the breeders on this site (http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/puppies.asp) reputable breeders? Or is it just a pay for ad page?

Edit - Can anybody recommend a breeder?

And will a Maltese puppy be alright from a flight from the East Coast to WA? :whiteflag:

Also why the discrepancy between pricing? I see some breeders charge ~$600 and others ~$1000 for a male puppy.

Is more to do certain breeders selling puppys on the Main register and others being sold on Limited papers? Or that the cheaper puppies don't quite fit the breed standard in terms of looks? Or is mearly that some breeders just like to sell at a cheaper price :confused:

Oh, this is from this website (as opposed from the community newspaper haha)

Have a look at this thread to see what can happen with buying a pup sight unseen. It's very long but I think will give you a good insight. Not saying it happens to everyone but something you should be aware of.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=213239

Edited by luvsdogs

Have a look at this thread to see what can happen with buying a pup sight unseen. It's very long but I think will give you a good insight. Not saying it happens to everyone but something you should be aware of.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=213239

Thanks for you comment luvsdogs. This is exactly what I am worried about. In fact I wasn't even prepared to buy a puppy from interstate until I came on to this site and read many posts advocating interstate purchases stating how it is "sometimes better to buy from interstate to be able to purchase from a better breeder".

However WA seems to have some good breeders so we will see what happens. I'll make sure I follow the tips raineth stated previously regardless.

I'd say based on your criteria, a Maltese would be a good pick. However I have a Maltese x Papillon who looks like a B&W Maltese but has a Papillon temperament, and hence I would say I would prefer a Papillon to a Maltese. He's sweet, quiet, likes to play alone, loves cat toys, seldom barks, loves running around like a bunny, and really is just a cat in disguise :whiteflag: Friends' Malteses are yappy things and I think training is a big part of that rather than the breeding. Mine is from a BYB (I know) but still has a beautiful temperament.

My Westie sheds (my Maltese x does not) and normal housekeeping takes care of that. I hardly see hairs around other than his crate actually.

If you're set on getting a Maltese, perhaps check out the local pound first? As you say, Malteses are a commonly dumped breed.

I'd say based on your criteria, a Maltese would be a good pick. However I have a Maltese x Papillon who looks like a B&W Maltese but has a Papillon temperament, and hence I would say I would prefer a Papillon to a Maltese. He's sweet, quiet, likes to play alone, loves cat toys, seldom barks, loves running around like a bunny, and really is just a cat in disguise :( Friends' Malteses are yappy things and I think training is a big part of that rather than the breeding. Mine is from a BYB (I know) but still has a beautiful temperament.

My Westie sheds (my Maltese x does not) and normal housekeeping takes care of that. I hardly see hairs around other than his crate actually.

If you're set on getting a Maltese, perhaps check out the local pound first? As you say, Malteses are a commonly dumped breed.

Maltese don't shed, so no doubt your dog has inherited coat type from the Maltese.

I can guarantee that there are never any decent Maltese in pounds, the dogs there are usually crossbreds, which the op does not want, and a lot of them are there because they have health problems due to careless backyarders, and/or they have temperament or behavioural problems, some due to bad breeding, some due to poor owners.

Friends yappy maltese are poorly trained. I have seem some horrible yappy Papillons too, but that is not necessarily a breed characteristic.

Shih Tzus are also guard dogs, with very different temperaments from Maltese. I have no idea why everyone so dislikes maltese - there are some great ones out there, but they are not as large as a Shih Tzu and very different.

OP I do hope some of the enthusiastic maltese owners see this thread and give advice.

Good luck to you getting your new Maltese puppy! While I have an obvious Bichon/Havanese preference (my little bichon Mozart can take full credit for that) I also think it is very important to get the puppy you REALLY want.

Let's face it - puppies are a lot of effort during their early years. The more you absolutely adore them, the more you will enjoy dishing out all that training they all need, including all those cold nights standing outside waiting for them to pee. It's one of those decisions that each person makes for themselves. We can offer suggestions, but in the end once you've done all your research you should pick the puppy that you adore and that's all there is to it!

So my absolute best wishes - and make sure you keep us posted. Puppy pics when the time comes please!

Have you checked out the Australian Silky Terrier? They are great for people with allergies as their hair is the same PH level as human hair. They don't shed and are easy to groom. Good little watch dogs but are easy to train not to be yappers. I had one that we used to chase sheep in the yards, great little worker she was, very easy to train.

Maltese don't shed, so no doubt your dog has inherited coat type from the Maltese.

I can guarantee that there are never any decent Maltese in pounds, the dogs there are usually crossbreds, which the op does not want, and a lot of them are there because they have health problems due to careless backyarders, and/or they have temperament or behavioural problems, some due to bad breeding, some due to poor owners.

Friends yappy maltese are poorly trained. I have seem some horrible yappy Papillons too, but that is not necessarily a breed characteristic.

Shih Tzus are also guard dogs, with very different temperaments from Maltese. I have no idea why everyone so dislikes maltese - there are some great ones out there, but they are not as large as a Shih Tzu and very different.

OP I do hope some of the enthusiastic maltese owners see this thread and give advice.

Yes, I'm very well aware that my dog has the Maltese coat - as I mentioned, he looks like a B&W Maltese and doesn't shed.

Health problems aside, I think most dogs can be trained for behavioural problems if new owners want to; perhaps it's more difficult than training puppies but comparable. A friend's Silky was cared for by an ex-RSPCA worker and it's unbelievable how much more manageable - for a lack of words - he's become (he used to bark non-stop and has been complained several times to body corporate). How can you guarantee that dogs in pounds are all not decent? There are irresponsible owners that dump them or they have been forced to give them up due to circumstance. Imagine if everyone thought like you - no one would adopt from the pound! It is usually an option that is suggested to those who want a new dog.

Perhaps your idea of yappy and mine are different. My Westie isn't yappy but he is vocal (growling, sometimes barks) when he sees a passing dog. Does that count as yappy? Whereas my Maltese x does not make a sound at all unless crying to go to do his business or standing up to an aggressive dog. There are several dogs in my area and they are all pretty obedient - just constant barking at strangers walking by. I think I consider that as yappy. I'm just saying what I've encountered is consistent with what he's read in the past, and it's a thing I was worried about before getting my dog as well. I did say that training is more important rather than the breeding. I'm definitely not saying that it's representative.

I don't know where you got that everyone dislikes Maltese - Notice I said I think they are a good pick for the OP's criteria.

OP - I don't know how much of my dog is Maltese and how much is Papillon (I think he's only 1/16th Pap - all his littermates were pure white) as I've owned neither before, but he definitely measures up to all that I've read about Paps. People have commented that he's the most active Maltese they've seen (but still he definitely is low energy - just that he loves people and his zoomies) but I think that's probably due to the fact that he's still a puppy. He definitely is everything I wanted in a dog. My criteria was almost the same as yours - especially the hypoallergenic one as I'm very sensitive/allergic. I actually drafted my original reply to your post as a positive one for Malteses, until I reread your post wanting only advice from those with purebred ones so I withheld from replying then. I replied my above comment as I saw you'd already set your mind on a Maltese, so didn't see the need to evangelise on about them as I did in my original draft.

Good luck on your new puppy! Definitely better to pick out or at least see your puppy before you choose him.

A friend of mine used to breed Maltese & they were GREAT little dogs - very friendly & confident - quite happy to play fairly roughly with my Standard Poodles! I'm sure there are a lot of badly/backyard bred Maltese about but, if you find the right breeder they can be a ripper little dog.

I think "small dog syndrome" needs to be renamed "small dog owner syndrome"

Many of the toy breeds are highly trainable and, given sufficient exercise and mental stimulation are not great barkers. Treat them like dogs and most small dogs are just fine.

If I were looking for a low shedding small dog I'd start with a Toy Poodle or a Bichon. I agree that the Bichons seem to be more laid back than the poods but a good poodle breeder could probably match you up with a quieter pup.

Don't rush this - visit a dog show and look around at the the different breeds (I suggest you focus on Toys and Non-sporting) and then finding the right breeder are unlikely to fit within your timeframe. You'll have 15 odd years to enjoy the profits of choosing the right dog for you.

Edited by poodlefan

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed in one of the early posts here you said something about 'showing dominance over the dog' to avoid small dog syndrome. I just wanted to point out that the whole alpha dominance theory is very outdated, and my dogs are very well behaved and I don't subscribe to the whole 'showing the dog who's boss' thing. And if I can get my dogs to behave well without trying to be dominant, then obviously there is no need to try to be dominant. I am a first time dog owner, and if I can TRAIN my dogs to behave well, then anyone can. Showing the dog who's boss isn't going to make good behaviour magically appear. Dogs need TRAINING, not a boss.

It's ALL training.

As for bowls and collars, I would wait until you have the puppy. It's so difficult to imagine how big the puppy is before you've held it. It's not going to need a collar for the first few days, as you can't walk it before it's had the last vaccination. The only reason you'd need a collar is if you're doing puppy classes. And if you don't get a bowl the first day it's not a big deal, just let puppy eat off a plate or human bowl for a day or two, it doesn't care:)

Speaking from personal experience here, I remember how frustrating it was looking at all those different collars and bowls and not having any idea which size was the right one.

What about a Lhasa Apso

http://www.pedigree.com.au/breeds/?b=122&p=l&pp=

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/lhasaapso.htm

I've got a couple of friends who have these, they're not as aggressive as maltese can be. They will bark a lot if left alone in the backyard with a sleepy lizard just through the fence. Not a good idea.

I don't know if they're big shedders or not, but they don't shed like a jack russell can.

Small dog syndrome is usually caused by humans thinking bad behaviour is cute in SWF puppies and they inadvertantly reward and encourage it. Wouldn't matter what dog you got, it's up to you to set limits and encourage good behaviour.

My daughter has a lhasa apso Charley, he is absolutely gorgeous with a wonderful disposition she also has a maltese as I have had and I would have to say Charley the lhaso apso gets the heads up from me