What's The Most Ridiculous Thing Your Dog's Been Called?

~Rumour~

I got a question from a family who'd been put on to me because they wanted a special breed of dog. It was a Disney Dog, they said. All they knew was that it had something to do with the Himalayas.

Some bright spark knew we have Tibetan Spaniels, so had put this family on to me.

I showed them pics of Tibbies. No, that's not a Disney Dog, they said. Showed them a Tibetan Mastiff pic. Nope, they said.

Showed them a Llhasa Apso. Nope.

Then I showed them a pic of a Tibetan Terrier. Yes! That's a Disney Dog.

So I told them how to find registered Tibetan Terrier breeders & off they went, thrilled pink.

To this day, I have no idea what led that family to identify a Tibetan Terrier as a Disney Dog.

Edited by mita

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a red and tan doberman and we've been getting interesting suggestions since I got him.

The most common ones are, kelpie cross (they ask what the other breed is), hungarian visla (and I've been told that I'm wrong, that he is a visla...), great dane, GSP, weimaraner.

The more unusual ones: a daschund (seriously, that's someone who just has no idea), a dalmation cross kelpie (he has the usual tan markings but no spots) and by a small child who fell over when she saw him because she was running around a corner and tried to stop instantly, a wolf.

Guest sharynriding

My black flatcoated retriever is called a Black Golden Retriever, that's a new kind of golden retriever apparently or a very rare black setter or just a plain old long haired labrador. Gotta love people!!

I have a red and tan doberman and we've been getting interesting suggestions since I got him.

The most common ones are, kelpie cross (they ask what the other breed is), hungarian visla (and I've been told that I'm wrong, that he is a visla...), great dane, GSP, weimaraner.

The more unusual ones: a daschund (seriously, that's someone who just has no idea), a dalmation cross kelpie (he has the usual tan markings but no spots) and by a small child who fell over when she saw him because she was running around a corner and tried to stop instantly, a wolf.

When our Dobe was smaller and we used to carry her everywhere we would get people asking if she was a Dachshund too! Not now that she has long legs though

My standard poodle in show puppy clip has been called a lamb. No not lamb clip, they actually thought he was a pet lamb.

That is priceless :) I've been TOLD categorically that my dogs MUST be "Labradoodles", as purebred Poodles don't get that big :p

Two shibas here so obviously I get fox or dingo all the time. In fact I have been told several times my dogs have dingo in them because I'm wrong and the person telling me knows they do.... :) Aside from that I get basenji all the time, husky or samoyed and once was asked if they were borzois! (I think the person meant basenjis, at least I HOPE they did!)

Some kids called my poodle x a chihuahua once. She's 4.5 kg, about 35 cm high and very long and lean, with floppy ears, and is cream colour with apricot ears, and looks nothing like a chi.

My JRT x MFT usually has people stumped, they usually ask what he is, rather than calling him anything.

Dingo (ok, I'll pay that one) :)

Wolf dog - by small child who, when his mother said "yes dear, it does look a bit like a wolf" was quite insistent. "No mummy, it IS a wolf" :p

Most people get that he is a kelpie but generally don't think he is purebred coz he's so darned big!

My Husky has gotten Border Collie, but we have now been asked TWICE if she's an Akita - at least it's still a Spitz breed, I suppose! Last time was on Sunday at obedience, and I just replied that she'd have to be double the size to be an Akita.

The lappie has only gotten GSD or GSD cross so far. I'm sure we'll get some more breed misidentifications for her soon when she gets out and about a bit more. :)

My golden gets called maremma all the time which I find strange because I didnt think alot of people knew what a maremma was :)

LOL my maremmas are frequently called golden retrievers.. and i do get asked how do i get my goldens so white... i am tempted to say "OMO" but so fare have refrained.

also my sheep have been called goats.. then people argue with me when i say they are sheep.. sigh

H

We get some classics at work, particularly from the vet students. Just recently a student told a client that her Cavalier x (I think she said Daschund) was really cute - the dog was a purebred Tibbie!! And another time a student asked me what the 'cute pug crosses' were. Ummm Griffons! LOL!

:) :p some of these are classic!!

I usually get asked if she's either a husky x or a Koolie! I've also been told she must be stumpy tail cattle dog x. I just politely explain what she is and usually they believe me :cheer:

Oh (and the same as what Lyndsay mentioned) - she must be blind in her half blue eye!!!