What's The Most Ridiculous Thing Your Dog's Been Called?

~Rumour~

Gus gets a lot of breed prejudice (even though he's a bitsa).

Up to now, it's been all 'Is he a' or 'He's a xyz isn't he', but the words used have been american pit, pit, american bulldog, amstaff and so on, but always in 'that' slightly worried way.

Other comments have included 'you can never trust a dog like that', 'dogs that like always turn vicious' (what, mongrels?), and most recently, 'Why would you want a dog like that?'

We did get close to being in a fight at the weekend though. I took Gus up to my local cat shelter and a 600g orange and white kitten spat at him, inflated all his fur and carried on like a two bob watch. Gus stood there with this 'what did I do?' look on his face. :)

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am often told I have Black Saint Bernards :eek:

not to mention the usual bears, horses, gorillas and once was TOLD the newfy was a big long haired black Lab. But hey what would I know???

:):laugh: Well the labbradors were known as a "Lesser Newfoundland" in the dark ages, so the newf must have been a "Greater Labrador" :rofl::eek:

Edit - Actually I freaked a guy out at the dog park a few months ago. I asked him which breeder his Swedish Vallhund was from, he was gobsmacked that I knew what his pooch was.

I generally fall over backwards if anyone gets either of my breeds right. :) It's especially shocking when it's someone that you see often. I had one person at the park say once "How old is your Vallhund, now?" Just like that! Never spoken to her before, but seen her with her dogs plenty of times. She was from the UK. They are usually from the UK. Another dog park semi-regular one day said "He's a Finnish Lapphund, isn't he?" Turned out his sister was a Lapphund breeder in Sweden or somewhere similar. I don't mind answering all the questions. We do have awesome dogs and of course people want to know what they are. :laugh: I shocked someone walking two Beddlingtons once by asking if they were Beddlingtons. They hadn't had a haircut in a while and were very hairy. Otherwise I wouldn't have had to ask!

our red and white BC has been called a wolf (wtf he is red and white to begin with), a fox (okay color at least semi right)

i have also been told he isnt a bc at all he must be something completely different as bc are only black and white (this was a 5 minute lecture from some old guy on the beach and i should know my dog better apparently lol)

A lesson in breed

These are Staffordshire Bull Terrier

post-4363-1297118269_thumb.jpg

This is a Pug

post-4363-1297118310_thumb.jpg

One is right up there as amongst the most common breeds in this country, the other , one of the most recognised breeds in the world.

How anyone can stop and ask if a SBT is a Pug is beyond me, :) but it's happened more than once

I get White Husky, White Mal, Long Haired Mal, Alaskan Husky, Snow dog (all the freaking time), Wolf and Polar bear

The Lab has only ever been mislabled once and it was at a dog show by an exhibitor who called him a short haired Golden Retriever :)

Edited by Bjelkier

One is right up there as amongst the most common breeds in this country, the other , one of the most recognised breeds in the world.

How anyone can stop and ask if a SBT is a Pug is beyond me, :) but it's happened more than once

Because so many people have never seen a well bred SBT at the correct size, they've no idea what one looks like. In their mind it's way to small to be a "staffy", it's not brindle ....so therefore it must be a pug :laugh:

I once heard a lady insist that a St. Bernard that walked past her at show was a Bullmastiff.

When corrected by a gentleman walking past with his Mastiff ( not to be confused with Bullmastiff ) she said to him " oh no, you are wrong "

I got a laugh out of that one.

Same but different LOL

I've had"

- homicidal

- evil

- airedale

- wolfhound

- irish wolfhound

- lakeland

- brown shnauzer

and my personal favourite from the Shire Council:

- irish setter.

I have irish terriers. :laugh:

Who called them homicidal and evil? :)

And you reminded me, our council called Ruby an Irish Setter to our neighbours when they were asking them if they minded if we got another dog. And yes, a red Schnauzer at Royal Shows all the time, how could I forget.

My sister gets 'nice looking red schnauzer' for her irish terrier.

Homicidal? Dare devil!

Mischa and Cleo (Miniature Pinschers) get called Chihuahuas several times a day. :thumbsup: It drives me up the WALL. They are so much better looking than Chis. :thumbsup:

Carl (staffy/terrier x) has been called a corgi before. :D Also a cocker spaniel!

Jag gets mistaken for a poodle or a maltese. :eek: I'll give them poodle since Bichon hair is very similar to it, but the body shape is completely different.

Hehehe, Corvus all of the claims on my girl have come from people with their own dogs at the park. I wouldn't claim to know all the dog breeds either, but some of them just make it up to sound like they have a clue, que the bloke that told his mate she was 'clearly' a GSD X.

I have to admit, I asked a smooth haired collie owner the other day if he had a greyhound cross. I'd never seen a smooth haired collie before, and hadn't seen a rough collie in so long, I had forgotten how tall they are!

My girl, who is a cross breed of unknown origins was called by a passerby the other day 'The most magnificent purebred Bull Mastiff'. Huh? Is there something that I am not seeing in my Heinz? After much debating, I just shrugged and kept walking. Apparently because I am the owner I obviously do not know what kind of dog I own.

post-27155-1297165078_thumb.jpg

I must come clean on miss naming abreed at a show a few weeks back, I said Izbian but it was a Pharaoh hound. It was in a crate lying down, please forgive me :thumbsup: I did apologise when the owner advised that it was way too small to be an Izbian.