Increased Thirst....

Ok so I have a 3 year old weimaraner... lately, she has been urinating in the house both during the day and at night if she cannot have access to outside (when i'm not home basically). She has never had an issue before and she is most certainly toilet trained.

I have noticed in maybe the last week that she has increased her drinking quite a bit, and that she also can't seem to hold it for that long.

I wasn't that concerned at first... given it is hot lately... but the increase in the last week has me a bit more concerned.

There are no other changes that I have noticed - she is eating well, her food has not been changed, she is not listless or nervous, and there is no discharge (she is entire and I suspected pyo due to the excessive drinking).

I also seem to recall that the last time she was due in season (about a month out) she had some issues holding her bladder.

I am going away tomorrow (leave at 5.30am) and I am going to take her to the vet next week... but does anyone have any suggestions or think that it's imperative i take her before I leave? My OH is home but he's not exactly that dog savvy and I'm concerned he won't notice vital changes in her behaviour.

My thoughts on the matter:

-Possible beginning of Pyometra - she has not been mated before, and has come in around every 6 months since abuot the age of 13 months.

-kidney issues

-Diabetes

-Linked to her coming into season (due in April)

If it diabetes & not gotten on top off they can go blind very quickly.

If its pyo & not treated you may end up with a spayed bitch .

I would sooner do the vet & any testing they may think important & have a head start on results than wait longer.

She may simply have a mild infection but if your planning to breed her then you need to address any issues .

We have never had a bitch do this .

if its diabetes she will losing weight and generally unwell and very tired.

I would advise your husband to be really on the look for weightloss and tiredness.

Because untreated diabetes turns into ketoacidosis which is a sever illness that can lead to death in just a couple of days.

I hope she feels better soon :(

Id also be getting her checked out for cushings disease. Cushings comes with different symptoms for different dogs although increased thirst and urination is a common symptom. They call cushings "The great pretender" as it can manifest itself in so many different ways. How is her coat and eating? Does she seem overly hungry or is she gutsing her food?

Pyos can be closed, so there isn't always any discharge or the bitch can be keeping herself clean.

Could be a UTI

I would be inclined to get her to the vet and at least get her on some antibiotics while you are away, considering your OH isn't dog savvy.

Well something's definitely wrong and some of the conditions you've mentioned are life threatening but just having a UTI is pretty uncomfortable and painful for her. Dogs that are housetrained are very upset about having to go inside the house. If it was my dog (and I have been throgh similar) I'd be rushing her to the vet or getting your OH to take her if there isn't time with a note from you describing the symptoms. I wouldn't leave it.

I know it might be too late for you to take her to the vet, but I would definitely suggest that your OH does. Arm him with enough information to let the vet know what is going on - time of her last season, that she's drinking more water, change in urination habits. Taking a urine sample to the consult is also very helpful, otherwise the vet can try to get one during the consult. With the list of possibilities, it definitely something I would get checked.