Dieting Doggy...harder Than It Sounds..

redangel

I would like to hear some input into tips for dieting dogs. My Rosie is carrying a bit too much and so I have started dieting her. Currently she gets a portion of fresh meat, grain & veges. Sometimes rice, sometimes pasta added in smalll amount. That with extra exercise she is getting results are happening. Tonight while cooking pasta for the family an uncooked shell pasta fell on the floor and she ate it up. In fact anything that hits the floor is eaten up. She gets a roo stix once a week & some food is taken off her meal. She will even fight for a piece of green.

Currently she gets a cup & a half of food. Is she just a food addict? Should i weaken and increase her food? is there any non fat foods I could give her so she feels fuller or satisfied?

Stop the pasta and rice, it won't help. Dogs eat because there's food so yes in a way they are food addicts.

Depending on what size she is get her some carrots, and give her either a whole carrot of smaller pieces if she's a smaller dog. Carrot will keep her occupied for a while and satisfy her chewing instincts. Feed whatever she gets in as big a pieces as you can (eg give her a lump of fresh meat instead of the same amount of mince) which will do the same. Mine like whole apples, I think they believe they're edible tennis balls :rofl:

If she is really ravenous add some bran to her food - just the cheap baking bran is fine, but if you do this be prepared for elephant sized poops, it all just comes straight through :D

One of mine would eat until she popped. She would sell her soul for one piece of kibble.

I hear pumpkin recommended a lot as it fills them up without making them fat. I don't mind that my girl is always hungry as it makes her very easy to train :rofl:

I would like to hear some input into tips for dieting dogs. My Rosie is carrying a bit too much and so I have started dieting her. Currently she gets a portion of fresh meat, grain & veges. Sometimes rice, sometimes pasta added in smalll amount. That with extra exercise she is getting results are happening. Tonight while cooking pasta for the family an uncooked shell pasta fell on the floor and she ate it up. In fact anything that hits the floor is eaten up. She gets a roo stix once a week & some food is taken off her meal. She will even fight for a piece of green.

Currently she gets a cup & a half of food. Is she just a food addict? Should i weaken and increase her food? is there any non fat foods I could give her so she feels fuller or satisfied?

what breed of dog is she?

do you mean she get's a cup and a half of kibble + the fresh meat grain and veg?

I have a 60 kg dog who eats 2 cups of kibble a day and about half a cup worth of treats for training (such as liver), and he could still lose some weight and be fine. So I was just wondering if the quatity is too much? :rofl:

otherwise, cut out the grain :D

You can try her on ice cubes - lots of dogs like crunching them up and it's a nice calorie free form of entertainment (wish I liked 'em :rofl: )

Otherwise I would suggest the same as previous posters, carrots, apples etc.

If she begins scavenging feeding small amounts more often through the day may help, and kongs or treat balls with food hidden inside so she is taking longer to eat, making small amounts more satisfying.

I agree with it being too much.

My Sibes and Sams who all between 20 - 25 kiloish get one cup of dry plus either a few chicken wings or a carcass everyday.

When my Sibe was on a diet she got half of that, and it took almost a six months for her to loose the 7 kilos she needed to.

Whole carrots and apples are great, watermelons from the garden were also another great treat

1 cup of kibble mixed with chopped carrots and some cooked pumpkin if you like.

The carrots literally go straight through them, but help them to feel more full.

If you cut the food back dramatically without adding a filler, they can start to eat poo and other non-edible things.

My allergy dog is always loosing weight and thats because he mainly eats roo and pumpkin as its what he does best on. I also give him pear or banana as a snack. Roo and pumpkin are very weight lose friendly :champagne: Carrot like people recommended is also good, I also make mine ice blocks in ice cream containers with some blood from his raw mince - he loves it and its not fattening at all.

One of mine would eat until she popped. She would sell her soul for one piece of kibble.

I hear pumpkin recommended a lot as it fills them up without making them fat. I don't mind that my girl is always hungry as it makes her very easy to train :D

Pumpkin is supposed to be full of sugar.

Mmmmmmm I must go and have a google.

I hear pumpkin recommended a lot as it fills them up without making them fat. I don't mind that my girl is always hungry as it makes her very easy to train :D

Mmmmmmm I must go and have a google.

its full of starch, not sugar. As it is cellulose based, its pretty much in undigestable form anyway.

I buy the homebrand frozen mixed vegies and microwave a couple of cups of them to add to a halved portion of dry/meat when I need to slim one of my dogs down. The vegies do them no good (or harm!) and makes them feel full so they're not always hunting for more

I hear pumpkin recommended a lot as it fills them up without making them fat. I don't mind that my girl is always hungry as it makes her very easy to train :)

Mmmmmmm I must go and have a google

I didn't do that the Gremlins did it. :D

Edited by oakway

I was actually wanting the same help for my little Cavalier.

Oscar got desexed back on the 4th of Jan (He's 2.5 years) and prior to being desexed eating for him was like me trying to scrub his mouth out with soap! He wasn't interested really in food so always looked good as he only ate enough to get by.

I've noticed over the last two week we are a fatty! He has lost all definition and looks a little keggy. Probably not as bad as some but I don't like fat dogs. He is fed half a handful of Nutro Kibble and about 150 - 200grams of raw chicken mince. That's it! I have reduced the mince down even more so but he is hunting the house high and low for food. He was eating the kittens food and we only caught on a few days after so his bowls are up high and out of Oscar's way!

I think I will go chop up some carrots when I get home.

A little bit keggy is exactly the term for my girl...she has lost her waist & up until we started the diet one had to dig a bit to count her ribs. Now her covering is lighter over the ribs, but we have a bit of a plateau. Now...I apologise for not putting the breed....she is a toy poodle. Very active, very hyper at times...but loves her food too much. Id say the portion is half cup meat/ rest veges & filler.

spell edit

Edited by redangel

A little bit keggy is exactly the term for my girl...she has lost her waist & up until we started the diet one had to dig a bit to count her ribs. Now her covering is lighter over the ribs, but we have a bit of a plateau. Now...I apologise for not putting the breed....she is a toy poodle. Very active, very hyper at times...but loves her food too much. Id say the portion is half cup meat/ rest veges & filler.

spell edit

Cut her back HARD. Half a cup of food IN TOTAL is plenty. Dogs are opportunistic = they will eat till they burst. She simply doesn't need that much.

Incidently, if you feed meat off the bone and only home prepared food, your girl's diet is deficient in calcium. I'd recommend you feed a "lite" kibble and some meat on the bone and that's it. One chicken wing is a decent meal for a dog of her size.

A dog acting hungry isn't a sign that it's not being fed enough, nor that it is unhappy. I can assure you that my little garbage guts is still happy despite the fact that she acts like she hasn't been fed in days, even if she's just had her dinner :) And best of all she is lean, fit, healthy and looks great! :D