What To Do Re Vet Fee?

HugUrPup

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I wouldn't leave an ear issue that long - but you know your dog best. It may not be a problem now, but having ear issues myself - and also a dog that just had them too - they can become extremely painful and problematic very quickly (mine went from nothing to excruciating pain within a day), and could cause more damage.

Could you perhaps talk to the school to delay the payment for the camp (maybe if you explain it's an emergency they may be okay to let you pay expense off)? Borrow off friends/family/dog lovers you know? Perhaps apply for a credit card quickly (not sure how long they take) and that way you can bring the appt forward a bit? Or yes, pawn something temporarily? Maybe talk to the bank to see if they can help in anyway (ie maybe overdraw your account or something)?

I do understand that it can be difficult - especially for emergency type cases where the costs are higher and people need to come up with the money otherwise their pets can't be treated. That's the main reason I got a credit card (and I didn't have one until I was almost 30) - for emergencies only if I didn't have the upfront cash. And goodness knows my dogs suck my finances dry...

ETA - so many posts with better info in the time it took me to type mine... SORRY!!!

Edited by Kelly_Louise

You won't have any luck changing vets.

Maybe see if you can pay the school at a later date as suggested, loan of someone in the family and once back on your feet either get a credit card, give the vets a small amount every week for emergencies or start your own dog only saving account.

I have a credit card, pet insurance and a internet savings account though that's not just for the dogs :confused: I very rarely go to the vets as I have very healthy dogs so I could never rely on my "going there all the time" relationship with them.

Pugger, I'd apply for a credit card that you have solely for Vet bills only. Don't take the amount they offer you on credit though, state clearly that you only want it for $x otherwise you'll likely end up with a credit card that has a limit of $20k or similar.

Get a card that has a limit of only $750 for example. You can't get yourself in trouble with something that small, even if you are tempted!

Don't carry the card with you, but put it away safely at home so you are not likely to use it for impulse spending (like that gorgeous pair of peep toes in the Myers window!!).

Applying for a card though will take time. For the mean time, I'd try to borrow the money from someone as her ears really need to be looked at sooner rather than later.

Aziah - some people simply can not afford to have the luxury of ebing able to plan ahead in this world. Many people are lucky to pay regular bills, let alone any others that might crop up unexpetantly. Stop being so harsh and judgemental.

Woohooo I got care credit ;)

:confused: gotta love Care Credit, bet you are relieved. Have you checked with your vet if they accept it? Not all vets have the facility so would be worth a quick phone call and a phone around for one that does if not

Great news... pity about your own vet not being flexible enough to accept that either - leaves customers with very little options doesn't it? But at least in this emergency she can be seen to quickly.

:laugh:

PS. I'm touching wood too

Things might have changed, but I think when we looked into it at our old clinic, we had to pay an annual fee to GE to have the Care Credit option?? I remember it sounding like a really good idea in terms of clients, but there was something about it which made it not so great for the Vet. But as I said, things may have changed.

Great news... pity about your own vet not being flexible enough to accept that either - leaves customers with very little options doesn't it? But at least in this emergency she can be seen to quickly.

:laugh:

PS. I'm touching wood too

Unfortunately each clinic needs to actually apply to have the facility, it is not like saying we dont accept credit cards. In the last few years it has become a much more common facility but that does not mean that every vet is aware of the 'product' and benefits to their practice. It also takes a little set up, staff training, processing time etc and I guess not all practices would consider it suitable for them?

In our case I dread having to process the applications, especially as I work the night shift so am usually trying to rush it through (and application processing takes around 15 minutes just for my part) while I am also dealing with phones, other consults as well as the bloat, whelping, whatever and a vet who may need their handheld, etc. Having said that, every client who is citing finances as reason not to be able to treat is told of the option and I am always relieved if they are approved and we can get on with doing our job.

I have seen the GE Finance ads at the local Emergency Vet.

Now I know what they're for. What a good product.

One of these or pet insurance would be the way to go for people with pets and tight financial circumstances. It would be doubly devastating to lose a pet and to know that it could have lived had you had the funds to pay for that.

Woohooo I got care credit :laugh:

Thanks so much for telling me about this. Miley's ears will love you forever ♥

Great news that you can get treatment for your pup!

This type of product is a god-send for those of us caught without the 'readies'.

Do read the fine print and make sure those payments are on time though .. the interest rates and penalties can be savage when you get into late payment territory.

My name is Dwynwen and I am a (recovering) credit card junkie.....

what a great thing to know about. ive just told hubby and we are going to look at getting one in the long run (for dog emergencies only) - even though we have pet insurance, we can pay on the card, then just put the refund straight on the card when we get it. Never ever knew about it.

What a great product.

I thought I would never say that about a Financial product.

But you still have to pay. Pet insurance is the way to go.

My Vet doesn't do accounts either but, I always pay on account. The reason, I must not broadcast it to anybody. :laugh:

However, I expect they do that with a lot of people.

My dogs have had tick, broken leg, lacerated paw, ultrasound, etc.

They are as 'rough as guts', and need financial backing for veterinary expenses.

But it's not all dollars. We had a volunteer take the pups to the vet when we were between cars. :)

Good Thread. Great Product. Excellent Outcome. :laugh:

I'm glad it's all sorted.

Reminds me of when one of my horses got very sick, the bill came to $1500 that was 18 years ago and obviously I was a lot younger :laugh: . The vet was happy for me to pay it off weekly and I will always be greatful for that, but I figured he shouldn't have to carry me and applied for a credit card to pay the debt. To this day I still have a good relationship with this vet and know if push came to shove he'd give us an account.