How Would You Feel If

Guest Ams

I was picking up a pei from the airport today and there was a little 8 week old blue staffordshire bull terrier in a crate. I thought it was with the client in front of me, but it wasn't. The flight it was meant to leave on had been delayed and was going to be several hours late.

The guy said it would be okay as they would take it out of the crate and the workers would play with it to keep it amused. I was a little shocked they thought it was okay to do this. I then played devil's advocate and asked if I could give it a cuddle. The answer? :heart: Yeah sure!

Now knowing I was clean (but also mindful I had been at Woofstock) I did take him out and give him a drink of water and a cuddle BUT

Whilst I was doing this the guy rang the new owner and advised of the flight delays and alternate plans. He told them the pup was getting attention from "another client" and was "happy". The new owner either was unaware of how risky this was or didn't care. Luckily they got the pup on an earlier flight and I popped it back in the crate for it's departure. I think if itwas going to stay longer I'd have stayed to make sure no one played pass the parcel with this little one. d

Now I know I shouldn't have taken it out of the crate at all but I figured the lesser evil was me giving it a drink and cuddle or having all the workers pass it around and let it run around the office.

The other thing that bothered me immensely was whilst I was cuddling this little one the worker left me alone TWICE. I could have run off with the pup never to be seen again. I was "allegedly" waiting for a dog to arrive but no one asked for my details. The clients before me had also left their dog in the a crate and it was also left in reception. Theoretically I could have waltzed out of the area with two new dogs.

I understand it was 35 degrees in town today and probably hotter with all the tarmac at the airport and it was kinder on the dogs to leave them in the aircon but really wouldn't it have been better to place them off the counter and out of sight of members of the public who could wander into the open office? What about security and disease risks?

If this was my dog or pup I would have a brain fart and totally lose it over the phone. What would you do?

I'd write a letter to the manager. I'm sure the workers thought they were doing the right thing, allowing it out and to get some attention (and I suppose as an owner I would want my pup/dog happy), but to allow a complete stranger to hold the dog without knowing anything about you (and by you, I mean in a general sense), I find that quite disturbing.

I got 2 adult tibbie girls met at the airport by the transport bloke who was then to deliver them by road. He told me the girls got lots of pats at the airport before going in the van. And he gave them a trip to the toilet & drink of water. But he'd kept them in his arms, & firmly on their leads. I had no problem with that. And the girls arrived in fine form.

He said the airport staff were specially pleased that day because 2 tibbie puppies also came thro', from the same breeder. A different situation, tho', re the baby puppies because of lower thresh-hold immune systems. Is there some way 'freighting' instructions for baby puppies can carry specific directions about reducing contact with people & with other environments to only what is necessary for their safety & comfort? Like a supervised cuddle & drink of water & little run around.

And also highlight the need for security re strangers being left alone with dogs of any age?

Edited by mita

I remember a few years ago we brought up an older pup/young dog from Tasmania.

When we got there to pick him up, they wheeled him out and the guys just opened the crate straight up. I kinda screamed....noooo he doesnt know us.

Luckily he didnt come flying out of the crate, but instead looked at us and then came out slowly so I could slip a lead on him.

I think they must of thought he was "our" dog already as he was older and thought he'd be happy to see us.

But I thought WOW I can see how dogs escape at airports if they just tend to "open" crates without asking any questions.

As for the pup....I'd be pretty peeved if it was my pup at the airport and they let some "stranger" give it a cuddle. I'd appreciate the staff reassuring the pup / giving a drink perhaps, but would like to think that hygiene was adhered to before hand.

I would be furious. I've now had two dogs flown to me....an 8 wk old puppy and a 5yo rescue dog. I was a bit surprised at the casual-ness of the freight company both times I went to collect the dogs. Neither time was I asked for ID, and when I picked up the puppy, I don't even remember having to sign anything. I just said I was there to collect an Australian Shepherd puppy, we waited in the car for a while, then the guy let us know he had her there and he already had her out of the crate and just handed her to me.

When I picked up Shae, it was after hours and I collected her from the freight depot, not the pet transport company, I just told them I was there to collect a dog. There were two dogs, Shae in one crate and a black and tan Doberman in another and the guy asked which one. I pointed to Shae, but I could just as easily have walked off with the Doberman!

They didn't ask me for ID either when I picked up Hugo. I just went in and said that my pup supposedly arrived on the 2:00pm flight and they made me wait for five or so minutes while he was transported from the airport to the Jetpets facility. I think they expect people to be honest..

I've actually had this same depot open a crate and let a pei out before she had any collar or lead on, then watched me chase her off into the darkness. No one offered to help catch her (she was black, it was dark and she didn't know me at all). When I finally returned with her and had a bit of a snap at the bloke he offered no apology at all and just stated he was busy.

When getting off a flight with a crate of animals I've had them handed to me just because I said they were mine, no one actually checked. When I picked up my new puppy at the airport no one checked either. They just asked which one I was waiting for and handed him over no questions asked when he arrived.

When I pick up a dog in Melb at Melb airport I am always asked for ID and asked to sign something. Most times it is my or the owners crate so I just pick it up and off we go.

Oh and I would be really pissed off if I knew myt puppy was out of its crate being cuddled by strangers....you can fill the water without getting puppy out.

Edited by Shazzapug

When I collected our youngest from the airport as a puppy ... there was no ID checks at all. I arrived early so was sitting in the lounge. After a while the guy asked if I was ok - I told him I was waiting for a puppy to arrive but I was early.

Some time after the pup was due to arrive I could hear a vehicle coming with a puppy crying. The guy went out the back and come back with the crying pup and handed him (in a crate) over to me saying "this must be your puppy" to which I asked "Is it?" There was no paperwork exchanged, no checks undertaken etc and my $1500 pup could have been handed to anyone.

Both my girls travelled by interstate flights ( a journey that involved a plane change midway) Both times they were handled outside their crate. I was told this but was ok with it as I was happy that they were out of their crate which would give a true visual assessment. I have heard horror stories of dying pups being observed as ok in the crate and given water.... I agree with you that only security cleared personnel should be handling though.

I think its the risk you take when you freight any animal. You have to trust that the people taking care of your animal have the same values on care as you.

Its always a risk no matter how professional an organisation.

Christie

Dash & Lucy

Sydney, NSW

I would be upset that they just handed the pup over to you. I had to show ID and sign a form when I picked Kyojin up from the airport, and my breeder had advised me of this beforehand.

The patting wouldn't have bothered me. When the big roller doors opened at the airport, there were 4 staff members standing around Kyojin's crate giving him pats. We laughed because they were like Oh, busted cuddling the puppy on the job :hug: It never occurred to me at the time to think about germs etc. I probably still wouldn't mind as I'd rather my pup was receiving reassurance.