Keeping Your Dog Warm

jacqui835

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love the Weatherbeeters! Zig really feels the cold so he sleeps in a soft crate (in our bedroom) with a Snooza D1000 and a big blanket to snuggle in. He is also a fan of central heating :crossfingers: He won't snuggle with pup (she gets too hot and is way too annoying!!!) but is not averse to hanging out with Dizzy, the foster failure kitten...

ZiggyandDizzy.jpg

Edited by The Spotted Devil

huntia, i went to that site and am now thinking about getting one of these:

http://www.bwdogcoats.com/dog-raincoats.html

for my boy, so we can walk in the rain/cold of autum/winter and it will be good for cold agility nights toooo

I liked the look of the collars on the dogs neck, and the design ideas she had for stopping male dogs from weeing on their coats. The last winter dog coats I bought were thermomaster. They were excellent, durable (they lasted 10+ years until the arrival of the new pup last winter who chewed off the straps, while the dog was wearing it!! LOL) :) , showerproof and warm, BUT the male dog because he was so long, the drop in the coat was also long and he would wee on it all the time when he cocked his leg!! (He was a ridgeback)

So a design to help stop this appeals to me. :laugh:

My Lab has a large doggie wardrobe of different kinds of coats.

We have three weatherbeta coats for him during the day but I find that he isn't comfortable in them when asleep, the belly band tends to move around too much and dig in so we bought him a polar fleece doggie vest from here:

http://www.thewolfsden.com.au/

It zips up along the back so he can't wiggle out of it in his sleep.

:(

The Great White North Coats (from Canada) are very warm, soft and water-proof. In fact I hardly use them because they are too warm for my dogs.

Yep, the Chilly Dog coats :(

http://www.twosmallpuppies.com.au/index.ph...c4d2bd5faad6c70

A DOL member is selling some nice looking coats in the marketplace too: http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...p;#entry5164935

I had a dobe who refused to be kept warm. I wasted so much money on him buying beds and coats and pjs and blankets only to have him destroy them all. I did want him to sleep indoors in a crate but he would go mental everytime I put him to bed, bashing around in the crate to the point he bent it all up. He was crate trained and happily stayed in crates without so much of a peep at dog shows! Anyway I put him outside in a dog run with a kennel, he seemed happier, however it was freezing in winter, sometimes below zero and so I began wasting my money buying him all sorts of creature comforts, only to have them destroyed in an instant. (Mind you he would also happily leave a coat on at a dogs show). In the end I gave up, I put an opshop blanket in there which he promptly pulled out and dragged around and I put a piece of foam rubber matting on the floor of the kennel. It managed to stay in there, only becasue he couldnt fit it out the door though. But that was all he got from then on and he seemed perfectly fine. I felt bad, but I could not afford to waste anymore money on him.

I have a rotty girl, and now you guys have me worried that maybe I should be worrying about keeping her warm.

She actually walks and jumps around a lot in her run, and trashes (or poos on) any blankets she gets, so I don't have a lot of choice.

She doesn't seem to be cold, but then I have pretty much just treated her like the GSDs as well, and haven't noticed her shivering, etc.

I have Iggies, last night was awful :scared:

They had fleece coats, snuggle beds and a blanket each :(

OH and I had a laugh when we peeked in thier crates and they were all under the blankets.

I am going to experiment in making a fleece sleeping bag for those -5 winter nights ( no central heating here)

She is inside in her crate at night so I'm thinking she should be ok there.

During winter I usually have the fire going, so that keeps us all pretty warm at night. Just not sure if she'll get cold during the day. I don't think her breeders worry about anything like coats, and she does leap about like an idiot throughout the day! :(

My guys normally get on my bed, now I have floorboards they are now allowed in there ( worried they will hurt themselves jumping off)

Now they have a stay dry basket with extra blankets, when it gets colder I will put a blanket over them to keep the warmth in, kaos has a coat for really cold nights, atlas copes better than her!!

I was googling yesterday looking for cool coats and came upon this site

BW dog coats

It is a US site but they had some great looking coats and some interesting bed options for dogs. I thought the pita bed looked pretty cool, as did the design of their warmer coats.

It could give you some ideas for what to do for your dog to keep him warm :mad

I just received an email from the owners of BW dog coats.....

"Thanks for your email - yes we do ship to Australia, although there is an international shipping charge of an extra $20--.......... hope this helps..

best,

Sharon Couzin"

:(:scared: ;)

Thanks, was thinking of the sweater for my BT, mine live outside, and she has come from living at a breeders kennel in Victoria, so she is used to being out.

Mine all have loads of coats, but i only have one lightweight Weatherbeeta cotton coat that would fit her, which would be fine as a day coat.

Is the Great North one too cumbursome to sleep in do you think? Was thinking of the sweater, with the weatherbeeta over the top at night.

I also couldn't proceed to checkout on the 2 puppies site, as my computer threw a hissy and said it was not a safe site?

Edited by juice

Guest english.ivy

I just ordered a wool lined coat from a Doler, with a higher neck so Badger shouldn't be able to remove it.

Can't wait to get it :( and neither can Badg I'm sure hehe.