Dogs There When You Need Them

jacqui835

I have awful food poisoning tonight and everything that goes with it, I can't sleep because of stomach cramps and I feel as though if I throw up one more time I will just collapse. My partner is being as supportive as he can, but having just started a new job in a new city, well he has no sick leave yet and staying home tomorrow is not an option. My dog though is just following me around and won't leave my side. I was in the bathroom, didn't have enough time to close the door, and he just came in and put his paw on my leg, whilst just looking up at me. It was an almost human gesture and just immeasurably comforting. He just sits by me every time I'm sick, and is now curled up next to me in the lounge room - since there's not a whole lot of point going back to bed. We tried making him go back to bed, but he just sat on the floor next to me, so my partner brought his bed out and now he's sleeping here next to me. I'm feeling very mopey and emotional right now, but I can't imagine going through this alone and I'm just so grateful to have such a beautiful creature in my life.

It's amazing to me that he can tell I'm not well, and even more amazingly, he cares and knows how to make me feel better.

If anyone has any similar sorts of stories I would love to hear them.

My Poodle girl will just lay beside me when I am sick, if I start to feel really bad she will actually come in and lay with her head on me. When I had my back operation and was confined to 'really light movement' she was almost dangerous as she would not leave me and I was worried I would fall over her. But it is nice to ahve someone that just wants to be there when you are not at your best.

Whenever I get visibly upset : crying, shouting, raised voice etc, my Rottie will come over and just lick lick lick lick me everywhere and anywhere she can, non-stop. If I'm sick she will follow me around like velcro and sleep right by my side.

It is amazing what dogs can sense - we owe so much to them! I hope you feel better soon. :(

Recently I went through a very traumatic time and both my dogs stuck to me like glue. To be honest, without them, I don't think I would have been able to get through it so easily. It was an amazing thing to observe, as my husband put it and since then the male has resumed following me around, more than he did before.

Sorry to hear you are unwell Jacqui, take it easy and get better. :(

Edited by poochmad

Im 39 weeks pregnant and at home on the couch until baby arrives....

My girl Zoe has been at my side the whole time. She knows whats going on and over the last couple of days has been more protective you could say..

She sniffs my belly and Im just hoping all goes well when bubs arrives...

Hope you're on the mend soon Jacqui! Lucky you have a furry friend to lend comfort.

I was sick loads last year (stoopid gallbladder) and when I'd be home sick, Kuma would just chill out with me. He got a bit protective and would always sit on the edge of the rug, about 2m from me, facing the front door... if anyone came in he'd always be "first defence". Didn't always work tho - my hubby snuck in the front door and both Kuma and I were sound asleep and my hubby got all the way to kissing me on the forehead before the dog woke up! :)

I had the flu really bad one year and I had a coughing fit, so bad that I was gasping for breath. Grumpy was very worried and just hovered at me. Then he sat on my chest, which wasn't all that helpful.

Yeah my dog does that too - kinda sits as close as possible and ends up half on my lap. I think what I love most is that he knows how to hug. If I hug him, he wraps his head around my shoulders and leans into me which is one of the most wonderful feelings in the world. The other great thing is that no matter how many times I have thrown up and no matter how bad I undoubtedly smell, he doesn't seem to notice and is still as keen as ever to be close to me. You can't put a price on that sort of unconditional commitment. I'm feeling a little better thankfully which is lucky because although my dog seems to be really sympathetic right now, I'm pretty sure he won't be happy about a 2nd day without a proper walk...

I havent noticed Honey behave more sooky to me when Im sick or unhappy, she is always very snuggly. :)

However, she does get quite frantic when my daughters get upset, particularly my youngest.

Being of primary school age (6 and 8) it happens frequently that one or the other will get upset sometime during the day. :love:

Honey MUST make sure they are ok, usually by trying to heave all 27kgs of her big fluffy butt onto their little laps and snuggling in for a hug. She is very insistent and gets a very worried look on her face.

Its very sweet and most times is much appreciated by the drama queen of the moment. :love:

All kids should have a big fluffy butt to cuddle when they have "the meanest mum EVER". :)

I know my dog was the only one who understood me when I was a kid.

I havent noticed Honey behave more sooky to me when Im sick or unhappy, she is always very snuggly. :)

However, she does get quite frantic when my daughters get upset, particularly my youngest.

Being of primary school age (6 and 8) it happens frequently that one or the other will get upset sometime during the day. :love:

Honey MUST make sure they are ok, usually by trying to heave all 27kgs of her big fluffy butt onto their little laps and snuggling in for a hug. She is very insistent and gets a very worried look on her face.

Its very sweet and most times is much appreciated by the drama queen of the moment. :love:

All kids should have a big fluffy butt to cuddle when they have "the meanest mum EVER". :)

I totally agree. My dogs knew all my secrets and i always knew my dogs will always understand me, even if the rest of the world thought i was weird.

That's just gorgeous dee lee :)

My dogs couldn't give a rats about me if ever I am upset or unwell, they think of themselves and only themselves :)

Little tibbie next door is a real lively 'look at me' princess. But when her 'dad' had an eye operation that left him in agony afterwards, she wouldn't leave his side. He could only lay face down on the bed, head held up with pillows. Lily lay beside him, absolutely still, for hours on end. It was if she knew the slightest movement would cause pain.

Friends recently visited an older lady recovering from a stroke. One of her tibbie girls would never leave her side. The other appointed herself guard & would bark a warning as soon as anyone came in the door of the room. The friends said it was lovely how they did team work to look after their 'mum'

In the past, both dogs would just happily greet visitors & then go off about their business generally. But now they've got work to do.

Edited by mita

When I am sick or sad my girl always are there for me. They come up and have a snuggle and are so gentle and follow me everywhere. They seem to know that it's a good idea to keep quiet at this time and now is not the time for wrestles or zoomies. If I have a stomach cramp or ache they seem to know and apply gentle pressure to where it hurts and somehow the pain eases. :love:

When I was going through my divorce my Border Collie X bitch was the biggest surprise. At one point I sunk down in the grass on the back lawn after the kids had been taken to school and I sat there for a very long time indulging in some self-pity and sobbing. I had no engery to get up. She sat there next to me licking my face and pressing up against me. Did she possibly sense my fragility at this time and wanted to make sure I wasn't going to do any stupid?? It would not have surpirsed me.

Hope you are feeling better soon. Food poisoning is the pitts.

Yeah, I think the value of a wet nose, comforting paw or sloppy dog kiss when you're feeling sick/sad/upset is highly under rated.

Sasha is very comforting, if I cry she will push her head in until she reaches mine and just stay there, usually with a paw on me. It's amazing how or why they do this, especially when they can't possibly 'know' what's happening or how to help.

The only time Sasha isn't really a help, is when I'm injured. Usually, she has no idea what to do - so will either jump around like a looney, or will simply just stand on you (if you're on the ground). I'm not sure why she does this, or what it means... but that's her way of dealing with it.

No wonder I like my dogs more than most people.

My normal day routine is to walk in the door and get changed and take my dogs out for a walk. I also suffer from migraines, and on those occasions i would walk in the door, get changed and lie down. Scrubby would just sit on my chest, not move, not bark, just sit on me. I tried a few times to fake it to see what she would do, and she would bite my shirt wanting to go for a walk. So she could always tell when i was sick and when I was faking.

dogs really are amazing creatures.

RIP Scrubby

and Get well soon Jacqui

Edited by Guest