Crate Mat/bedding

Oscar (AmBull)

I am wanting to get a thicker mat for Oscar's crate. He currently uses the one it came with and I have added another piece of foam to it but it still doesn't seem very thick/comfy. In Winter it isn't such a big deal because he has a blanket but too hot in Summer.

So I am looking for inexpensive ideas that other people use/have used in their crates?

You can get wooly mats for dog beds off the web. Of course my evil hound decided to chew pieces out of hers. There was a basic mat it came with and most of her beds I line with large bath sheet towels which she also eats, and old pillows in pillow slips - so far only the pillow slips have suffered the occasional munching. And old fleecy tops - sometimes I wear these for a while before I put them on her bed.

Plenty of stuff in the $2 cheapie shops, big W or the op shops. I've even got a really cheap duna that I was thinking of using for dog bed or car fridge insulation. Cost $20.

Try Best n Less, too. I got some cheap polar fleece baby blankets for about $5, I think, also some towels -- for bathing mostly, also got some stuffed cuddly toys for supervised play. They sell pillow slips, I think and you can stuff them with old clothes, towels, even newspaper.

Thanks for the response guys, so do you have a foam base then added blankets/towels on top of that or they make up the base? I was thinking of trying to get a thick piece of foam cut to size?

Yep, we have thick and dense pieces of foam cut to size (from Clarke Rubber) and then I made covers for the foam out of polar fleece and cotton....just to protect the foam from being ripped/dug to shreds from the "getting comfy" routine that happens at night in their crates. The covers are easy to slip off and wash too, leaving the foam relatively clean (and clean smelling!) :thumbsup:

The price will vary on the density of the foam, so just go have a look and see what suits :birthday:

I love the snooza futons for the crates - they fit in there perfectly no matter what size, easy to clean and really comfy for the dogs :thumbsup:.

I use the dry beds in my crates - so easy to use and clean - especially coz I'm too lazy 1/2 the time to remove the bedding if they eat bones in there which stains the snooza futon.

The other one I like is the bono fido mats. I prefer the futon mats, but they don't fit 100% into the crates as they are not designed for that. But 100% waterproof which is handy :birthday:

How big is his crate?

Cheap as Chips have 63cm x 93cm foam mats in all different colours for $20. They fit the XL soft crates (the ones that are around 102cm long) and 36" wire crates really well. You can layer 2 of them them if you want it to be softer, though one is fine. I use these in with a blanket over the top and tucked in at the sides so it's easy to wash and keep clean.

http://www.cheapaschips.com.au/showproduct.asp?sk=BA7585

Otherwise Great Rugs make to order and are very reasonably priced

http://www.greatrugs.com.au./store/index.htm

I've got one of the BMBs in my big c-crate and it's great :thumbsup:

Bone Fides make excellent dog mats - with a cushion inside, that and the cover can easily be washed in the machine. Might need to google to see where to buy them from. I paid $44 odd for one which fits the largest crate.

Used sleeping bags make excellent dog beds - reasonably thick, and easy to wash - and reasonably priced from the op shop -- ones with busted zips are cheapest

I love the snooza futons for the crates - they fit in there perfectly no matter what size, easy to clean and really comfy for the dogs :).

I use the dry beds in my crates - so easy to use and clean - especially coz I'm too lazy 1/2 the time to remove the bedding if they eat bones in there which stains the snooza futon.

The other one I like is the bono fido mats. I prefer the futon mats, but they don't fit 100% into the crates as they are not designed for that. But 100% waterproof which is handy :cry:

Yes, Zig loves the Snooza futons too :thumbsup:

L1010590.jpg

We went with 2 x Snooza D1000 - not cheap but washable and not a mark in either of them :(

DSC03278.jpg

Thanks for the response guys, so do you have a foam base then added blankets/towels on top of that or they make up the base? I was thinking of trying to get a thick piece of foam cut to size?

Yep, we have thick and dense pieces of foam cut to size (from Clarke Rubber) and then I made covers for the foam out of polar fleece and cotton....just to protect the foam from being ripped/dug to shreds from the "getting comfy" routine that happens at night in their crates. The covers are easy to slip off and wash too, leaving the foam relatively clean (and clean smelling!) :)

The price will vary on the density of the foam, so just go have a look and see what suits :)

Just wondering roughly how much it is to get foam cut? How much were yours?

The crate measures around 1m x 55cm.

SecretKei it is actually the one I purchased from you.

Love the pics Spotted Devil, he isn't a real destroyer anymore so I am lucky there but for a while he did have a cushion fetish :D

Thanks so much for the response guys.

Why not try one of those dense foam exercise/camping mats cut to size depending on size needed you may get a couple of mats out of it, you can then add a blanket or cotton cover if you prefer. Even in warmer weather I find my dogs like a loose blanket, even if only lightweight that they can move around and get comfortable with. Another option is to by a cheap doona cut to size and sew it double thickness.

Love the pics Spotted Devil, he isn't a real destroyer anymore so I am lucky there but for a while he did have a cushion fetish :D

Those mats from Cheap as Chips will fit well then :)

It will probably cost you between $15 and $50 to have a piece of foam cut depending on the foam quality/type you choose and the thickness you want. You can get it done at Clarkes Rubber or an re-upholstery place.

ETA, keep in mind that if you buy a mat which is too thick you'll have to remove it before folding the crate up.

Edited by SecretKei

Love the pics Spotted Devil, he isn't a real destroyer anymore so I am lucky there but for a while he did have a cushion fetish :laugh:

Those mats from Cheap as Chips will fit well then :confused:

It will probably cost you between $15 and $50 to have a piece of foam cut depending on the foam quality/type you choose and the thickness you want. You can get it done at Clarkes Rubber or an re-upholstery place.

ETA, keep in mind that if you buy a mat which is too thick you'll have to remove it before folding the crate up.

Your crate sounds smaller than the ones I have, so getting foam cut will probably be cheaper than ours. SecretKei is right, you can choose the thickness/quality and size and that will determine the cost....I think one of ours cost just under $50 for a maybe 20cm thick piece, for an XL sized crate. It is pretty high density foam too, but still comfy and cushiony enough :laugh:

Some large crates will fit a cot or bassinet mattress (though I'd avoid the innerspring varieties if you have a serious chewer).

People don't often reuse them so you might be able to nab a one from someone you know that would otherwise have gone to the tip. I know my nephew's will be repurposed as a dog bed (with a basic canvas cover for durability) when he outgrows his cot.

Edited by Sydoo