Holistic Select

ashka1

is anyone else feeding Holistic Select , same as ealge pack but new name bag etc. Is the supply more reliable?

Supply is still erratic and just heard last week (don't know how true) that it is going to be for supermarket sale, usually this means changes for the worst!

I posted this about the reliability of supply in another thread:

This week, I contacted Eagle Pack and asked them about the supply problems. They told me that because they made health claims, an authority (can't remember which one he said) has forced them to substantiate their claims. This process took some time, during which supplies were affected. He said it's all been completed now but the other players (he mentioned Canidae) will also have to undergo the same proof of claim process.

Explains why it was so hard to get and that supplies are only just now filtering back through the chain. Hadn't heard anything about it being available in supermarkets - would've thought it would be too expensive for that market.

I posted this about the reliability of supply in another thread:
This week, I contacted Eagle Pack and asked them about the supply problems. They told me that because they made health claims, an authority (can't remember which one he said) has forced them to substantiate their claims. This process took some time, during which supplies were affected. He said it's all been completed now but the other players (he mentioned Canidae) will also have to undergo the same proof of claim process.

Explains why it was so hard to get and that supplies are only just now filtering back through the chain. Hadn't heard anything about it being available in supermarkets - would've thought it would be too expensive for that market.

That's interesting. We stock it and went through the supply issues with them. We were told it was simply that there wasn't enough stock being imported to the country to meet the demand. We would get the dates of the shipments arrival, but if we didn't order at the exact time, it would all be gone within a few hours and we'd miss out.

The wholesaler who deal with it in Sydney (and maybe even NSW?) is terrible. They don't back order anything if what you order is not available. So for example if we put our order in on a Monday and the shipment arrived Tuesday, we got nothing, because when our order was processed there was no stock and so it was discarded. It's a nightmare.

The supermarket thing is news to us too. Something I'll email our rep about on Monday though for sure

The impression I got from the guy at the EP stand at pet expo was something to do with supply and demand. Something happend with the last shipment

due to the change in packaging and paper work at customs. Should be getting back on track. He assured me none of the ingredience have changed.

We've been told everything from supply issues to a train derailment in the States being behind the constant and ongoing shortages. For five years, in our case. There always seems to be a new reason why product is promoted to retailers and customers and then not available in the quantities and time frames needed. That is our experience, anyway.

As far as ingredients changing, even the packaging we had in of the first shipment said "now with canola oil" from memory, so it has changed to some degree.

Sags

Have to agree with Sagittarian here, the supply problem has been ongoing for over 9 years in our case, we gave up not only due to supply problems but also due to my own dogs loosing condition on Eagle ( the main reason we looked into importing our own food - Artemis) I also have heard every excuse under the sun, the best I believe was that the lakes froze over during winter so no stock could get through as this was there only form of transport. This latest report re permits is just ridiculous.

Have to agree with Sagittarian here, the supply problem has been ongoing for over 9 years in our case, we gave up not only due to supply problems but also due to my own dogs loosing condition on Eagle ( the main reason we looked into importing our own food - Artemis) I also have heard every excuse under the sun, the best I believe was that the lakes froze over during winter so no stock could get through as this was there only form of transport. This latest report re permits is just ridiculous.

The impression I got from the guy at the EP stand at pet expo was something to do with supply and demand. Something happend with the last shipment

due to the change in packaging and paper work at customs. Should be getting back on track. He assured me none of the ingredience have changed.

Aside from adding an industrial lubricant to it, you mean. 'Now with canola'!

It's not fathomable to me that demand outstrips supply for close to 10 years....and they still have NFI how to fix it.

I'm not sure why they still export here, it seems like they can't be bothered.

All you guys who are still feeding it have a large amount of patience! I switched to something else about 3yrs ago.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

The official line from the company about a year and a half ago was that Eagle Pack in the US was sold and they didn't want to export to Australia anymore. Maybe they are still sending out only minimal qtys...

I got so sick of them giving us dates for when it would arrive and then the wholesaler having nothing. We switched all the dogs with sensitive skin onto Pro Plan and Euk. I got tired of their lies.

The official line from the company about a year and a half ago was that Eagle Pack in the US was sold and they didn't want to export to Australia anymore. Maybe they are still sending out only minimal qtys...

I got so sick of them giving us dates for when it would arrive and then the wholesaler having nothing. We switched all the dogs with sensitive skin onto Pro Plan and Euk. I got tired of their lies.

Grumpy got sick on Pro Plan because of the animal fat in there.

It would make it very hard for you Sheriden when you dog actually gets sick if he is fed something else. If they don't want to export it then don't, don't do a half arsed job!

I agree everyone who still feeds it is far mor patient that I would be!

It's a real shame, I was very happy feeding the Anchovy or the Duck formula to my Stafford as I felt it was more natural than a prescription diet and she did very well on it.

But when I can't get it, or there's one bag sitting on the shelf that's quite clearly spent 10mths in storage and transit I'm not particularly impressed paying the big bucks for it. :laugh:

I am in the process of giving up on Holistic Select.

Pity... the babies did really well on this food (+raw) and we have been using it for about 5 years. Oh well :laugh:

We will transition to grain free Canidae. I will post the outcome

I was told by a major retailer that, when the company sold in the US recently, they wanted to stop distributed to Australia but they received a lot of emails etc from people here in response so they decided to keep sending it.

Seems to me that they want to get out of this market and are going about it by getting people to switch due to not being able to get stock.