Warning...human Grade Camel Meat

This risk has been known since the eighties, mostly in regard to feeding meat from horses which have been grazing on native indigo.

I guess with camel being on the menu a bit more than before it's come up again. Poor dogs.

I didnt know they sold camel meat for any consumption :D

It was on the menus of all the good restaraunts in Alice Springs while I was there a few years ago...not that I was fussed on trying it. I guess it has probably made its way into pet food too, as they cull a lot of feral camels, but this article was about human grade. It makes you wonder about beef coming from those areas which would be grazing on the same bushes. I did a big hike up there a few years ago & saw one of the bushes concerned.It was called "dead finish"...I think it's the one that they get 1080 from...also saw plenty of dead cows which had grazed on it.

Edited by sheena

Guest english.ivy

I saw it being sold here ages ago but haven't seen it since.

I couldn't bare to fed camel or horse to my dogs.

This issue came up last year when dogs with allergies were being fed an elimination diet where the only meat was camel. This was on veterinary advice from one of our major teaching hospitals and dogs were affected. The supplier no longer supplies camel. I did a bit of a check as I was concerned because I feed a large amount of goat, but the goats were being sourced from a different area. It also affects horses who graze on this particular weed.

englishivy if you're concerned about feeding horse or other animal products to your dogs then don't feed 'steak' or generic 'meat and meat byproducts' If it doesn't state the animal it is coming from, ie goat, pork, chicken etc you could well be feeding horse without knowing it.

Guest english.ivy

I only buy lamb meat from a pet food supplier in Midvale and trust them to package correctly. They are new owners and don't seem to stock horse anymore, which is good!

Ivy ate goat for awhile but phew, I'm glad goats don't eat that weed.

I only buy lamb meat from a pet food supplier in Midvale and trust them to package correctly. They are new owners and don't seem to stock horse anymore, which is good!

Ivy ate goat for awhile but phew, I'm glad goats don't eat that weed.

I dont think feeding horse or camel is any different to feeding beef, lamb, chicken etc. They are still all animals. I just dont feed horse because of all the vaccinations and meds that they get, never fed camel because of the problems people have mentioned in this post.

I choose not to feed horse because of the conditions they are kept and slaughtered in. Horses are very sensitive and most of the horse meat in pet food was someones beloved pet at one time or another. Ugh.

Cattle on the otherhand are bovine by name and bovine in nature. No doubt their slaughter is no less brutal, but I can't imagine a cow or bullock understanding their situation as a horse would.

Camels? I've never fed it for obvious reasons.

Sheep and cows are not stupid animals, they are remarkably smart. They sure as hell understand what is going on when they are locked in yards at abattoir, they get frightened, they stress, they try to break out of the yards and injure themselves or other in the process. They can smell the fear and the death of the live stock around them.

Slaughter on mass scale in an abattoir is frightening and brutal for any animal, horse, sheep or cow alike.

I also disagree with that most horse meat was someone's pet. More likely the majority of horse meat comes from failed racers or unwanted horses.

Sheep and cows are not stupid animals, they are remarkably smart. They sure as hell understand what is going on when they are locked in yards at abattoir, they get frightened, they stress, they try to break out of the yards and injure themselves or other in the process. They can smell the fear and the death of the live stock around them.

Slaughter on mass scale in an abattoir is frightening and brutal for any animal, horse, sheep or cow alike.

I also disagree with that most horse meat was someone's pet. More likely the majority of horse meat comes from failed racers or unwanted horses.

Being a cattle farmer, I can tell you that cows definately have personalities, feelings & emotions & I swear I have seen cows get very emotionally upset when they see their calves go on a truck to market. What most people don't realise is that thousands of 5 day old baby calves are slaughtered every week in Australia, just so we can have milk. I refuse to watch the cattle go on the truck & I certainly refuse to eat veal :laugh: I also agree that most slaughtered horses are either failed race horses or unwanted/ unrideable. Not too many much loved pets would go to the slaughter house. Doesn't make it any easier to accept though. :)