Backpacks For Dogs

jacqui835

A while ago there were a couple of threads on backpacks for dogs, and several people were kind enough to give me advice on which one to get. Well we decided on the Ruffwear Palisades Pack and it's been an awesome investment. When I go to the shops now, I bring the dog and his backpack and he helps me carry the groceries home. We also go on weekly bush walks and he is now the only one carrying anything - he carries water for all of us, 2L for himself and 2 600ml bottles for me and my partner, snacks for everyone, doggy bags, his leash, sunscreen, insect repellent, phones, wallets etc. He loves wearing his pack, no chafing whatsoever and I don't understand it but although we have steadily increased the weight he carries, he shows no sign of strain. When I pull his pack out he gets very excited, and quickly positions himself to be saddled up. In fact he still charges up the hills, steep embankments etc, and the other day when we found a German Shepherd, he ran along playing with her, with the pack on for about 2 hours. She tired out before he did... It's amazing because without the pack, I'm not sure how much exercise he would need to tire out, but I imagine it's more than what I would have time to give him.

He is now carrying about 8kg and getting pretty muscly - he may not get tired but he is certainly wanting more to eat!

Here is a photo of him just after we had climbed up a bushing steep hill and walking for about an hour, and as you can see, he seems un-phased and overjoyed :laugh:

DSC_5794.JPG

LOL! he looks like a shm@cko ad!!!!

Lol yeah he's a wild child. If you've seen some of the other photos I've posted of him though, he can also look incredibly sensitive and calm. He just loves being out and about.

Thanks to everyone who said it was a good shot, my partner really loves taking photos and the dog is his main subject.

Zeph looks great :laugh: Half the time people avoid my dog when he has his backpack on, because they think he's a working dog lol.

He too loves to go in the water, but fortunately, when he has his pack on, though he will still play with other dogs and chase his ball, he seems to recognise that he has a job to do, and adopts a more serious demeanor. In that photo he looks particularly excited because I had been telling him to wait at my side whilst Dan walked away from us to set up the shot. When you release him from a wait and one of the 'pack' members has continued moving forward, he blasts out like a race horse.

He is indeed for the most part a doberman, and here he is looking more dobelicious and with less baggage (and a bit more like the mummy's boy that he is).

You have to excuse me in this photo, it was when I wasn't well and had been up all night. Poochy was very affectionate and giving me lots of hugs.

DSC_4953.JPG

And here he is looking a bit cute on one of the rare occasions he was invited up onto the bed... (oh who are we kidding)

IMG_0348.JPG

Zeph looks great :laugh: Half the time people avoid my dog when he has his backpack on, because they think he's a working dog lol.

He too loves to go in the water, but fortunately, when he has his pack on, though he will still play with other dogs and chase his ball, he seems to recognise that he has a job to do, and adopts a more serious demeanor. In that photo he looks particularly excited because I had been telling him to wait at my side whilst Dan walked away from us to set up the shot. When you release him from a wait and one of the 'pack' members has continued moving forward, he blasts out like a race horse.

He is indeed for the most part a doberman, and here he is looking more dobelicious and with less baggage (and a bit more like the mummy's boy that he is).

You have to excuse me in this photo, it was when I wasn't well and had been up all night. Poochy was very affectionate and giving me lots of hugs.

DSC_4953.JPG

And here he is looking a bit cute on one of the rare occasions he was invited up onto the bed... (oh who are we kidding)

IMG_0348.JPG

Nawwww what a sweety. Puppy cuddles are the best when you aren't feeling 100 percent!

Was thinking of getting a pack for my older girl because she is always so over the top with walks thought it would give her something to do, but don't know if its a good idea because of her hip displaxia. Might ask the vet we see about her hips next week when we go back to see him.

We have one of the other Ruffwear packs - I think it is the Ruffwear Approach. It is awesome and has really slowed Dusty up. One day I would like the Palisades pack though.

Here is Dusty doing some modelling when we first got it. Could he look any sadder :laugh: That's Sharon the Rotty next to him. She is about to turn ten so needs no help in slowing down. :D

post-33610-1299492513_thumb.jpg

Sensational photo!

My SBT boy loooooves his pack. We got the Ruffwear singletrak. Not great photos as I took them with the phone. Youve challenged me to get an action shot of him in it!

The rottie looks spunky in his pack too :laugh:

edited because I should read my posts before pressing submit

post-33603-1299550740_thumb.jpg

post-33603-1299550853_thumb.jpg

post-33603-1299550881_thumb.jpg

Edited by Polgara's Shadow

aww so cute!!!

I've been thinking about getting one for my rottie... problem is I don't know when he'd use it...

I would highly recommend it, it's amazingly useful for both draining energy and also making the dog feel like they have a job and are contributing.

I use mine a couple of times a week. If we're going on a walk and it's more about the walk rather than playing with other dogs, I make him carry his backpack with everything in it - saves me carrying anything. (so water, snacks, phones etc).

Also if I need a few things from down the road, I take the dog and get him to help carry the groceries home. I hate carrying stuff and he doesn't seem to notice so works out well lol

Sensational photo!

My SBT boy loooooves his pack. We got the Ruffwear singletrak. Not great photos as I took them with the phone. Youve challenged me to get an action shot of him in it!

The rottie looks spunky in his pack too :wave:

edited because I should read my posts before pressing submit

That is the cutest dog I've seen in quite a while!