Do You Refer To Yourself As You Dogs "mum Or Dad"?

shells

Not really, but I have been known to say 'go to daddy' when referring to my hubby.

I do use baby lingo with all the cats and dogs, and they respond really well to it. Like my JRT x, he gets his nose in a twist if we tell him he has to do something, or if we stop him from doing something, but if I pat him and speak nicely to him he will run over and do it, or stop doing it when asked. My poodle x isn't like that, she stops doing stuff when she's told off.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Years ago years late at night we heard a woman screaming with a blood curdling voice, My baby! My baby! My baby! It was the worst feeling going out to see if we could do something, thinking something really bad has happened to someone’s child. All the neighbours were in their pj’s running up the street to this woman in the middle of the road, to find that her cat had been run over by a car. Some people quickly felt and went back home other stayed to comfort her.

I hope I don’t get flamed for this but though I honestly felt for her It also felt unfair that we were all horrified thinking something has happened to her child. I guess that’s exactly how she felt literally

Off topic 8.8 eathquake just hit Japan :shrug:

OH and I refer to ourselves as mum and dad to our three pets. I wouldn't say that in public though; we really only mean it in a light-hearted kind of way.

We are the same. The OH and I say it in a very light-hearted way when we are talking to the dogs about the other person. We never ever say it in the presence of anyone but each other though.

I never refer to them as kids though. It's generally just P1 and P2 (pest 1 & 2 :shrug:)

Edited by Malamum

I live with my parents so 'mum' and 'dad' are my parents

Same. When I want to send Spence to annoy my mum ("Nooooo! Get away from my black pants!! :hug: ) I'll say "Find mum!".

I don't think I could ever bring myself to refer to myself as 'mum' or 'mummy'.

:confused: oso

yes raz might be my baby but he is treated like a dog, when he behaves he may be a little spoilt but when he is naughty into his crate he goes :laugh:

It happens a fair bit as well for some reason. Luckily they think it's funny! Maybe it's because LEwis is a people type of name as well.......Lewis/Nelson ...... yep that is similar......sort of............. :(

I sometimes refer to Mindy as my "baby girl" :confused: but I would never refer to myself as her mum. I have other people say stuff to her like "wheres mummy" 'here comes mum" "go to mum" etc, I don't really mind, i do think its a bit ridiculous but then again calling her baby girl is probably just as silly!

Seems to me that a lot of people think using mum and dad and furrykids and so on is weird and or are embarrassed about it, however I find it weird using the word owner. It never sat well with me as I don't really think I own my dog he is part of the family and we all feel privileged to have him with us, he shows us love and teaches us everyday about patience and understanding, he entertains protects and we love him so. I own my house and two cars I don't feel I own my pet.

So yes I do use mum and dad and we refer to him as our much loved pet when talking to others and I couldn't have it any other way!

Edited by chiara

yep :)

When I get home from being away all day and Bondi is excited to see me I ask "Did you miss your mum?!" :)

And she gets reffered to as "my baby" But she knows she is a dog and has rules and boundaries :thumbsup: Although she is spoilt rotten! :cheer:

We refer to each other in the house as "Mac's mum" or "Quinn's Mum" but I don't refer to myself as it.

The best way I can explain the attachment I have to my dogs to other people is that I love them like if they were my kids but I don't because of all the stereotypes that would go with it.

In our house we don't refer to ourselves as Mum or Dad (but we don't have kids so we've never referred to each other that way). We do call Diesel 'little man' but he never gets called our baby.

Although my grandparents do refer to him as their first great grandchild (and they treat him like one too- absolutely spoilt rotten!)