10 Week Old Gsd Puppy Having Seizures

hi guys,

I am posting for a friend of mine who two weeks ago brought home an adorable 8 week old GSD puppy. He has started having seizures and today had his 6th. She has already taken him to the vet twice, the vet suggested possible poisoning as the puppy is too young to be epileptic. The vet has also referred her to a neurosurgeon.

Has anyone had similar experiences? Do you have any ideas as to what might be causing his seizures and what avenues my friend should be exploring?

This lady is one of the best pet owners I know. I know she has already fallen in love with this bundle of fluff so I hope she can get to the bottom of this quickly.

TIA

hi guys,

I am posting for a friend of mine who two weeks ago brought home an adorable 8 week old GSD puppy. He has started having seizures and today had his 6th. She has already taken him to the vet twice, the vet suggested possible poisoning as the puppy is too young to be epileptic. The vet has also referred her to a neurosurgeon.

Has anyone had similar experiences? Do you have any ideas as to what might be causing his seizures and what avenues my friend should be exploring?

This lady is one of the best pet owners I know. I know she has already fallen in love with this bundle of fluff so I hope she can get to the bottom of this quickly.

TIA

We had a labrador pup surrendered to us at 9 weeks old due to seizures and his young owner could not afford numerous vet visits and a lifetime of meds :thumbsup: Has the pup been treated with a spot on flea treatment or similar recently ?

ETA ...has she contacted the pups breeder ?

Edited by Loopy Lola

She has already taken him to the vet twice, the vet suggested possible poisoning as the puppy is too young to be epileptic.

Sorry...but there is no such thing as 'too young to be epileptic' in mammals. Human babies can have seizures from birth due to epilepsy....which can be from a brain malformation or ideopathic (no known cause).

There is also many other conditions that can cause seizures....and also neuro toxins (poisoning by something ingested or absorbed through the skin usually) which can cause seizures.

I would hope the vet has taken blood for analysis...at the least?

If I had bred this puppy I would want it returned asap for my vet to investigate what is going on. If it is a toxin then the owner would be responsible but for anything else a refund is probably in order. It could be epilepsy, brain tumour, liver shunt, or any number of potentially fatal problems that could not be detected before it was sold. Please don't let your friend run up any more vet bills for anything other than toxins without consulting the breeder.

Are there any other symptoms? Seizures can indicate a liver shunt although they didn't present in my boy until later early signs include failure to thrive, digestive issues, depression and a host of others although they don't all have to present to indicate a shunt.

Blood test should be a priority in the meantime keep the diet bland and low protein if there is an issue with the liver it should show up in blood tests they normally do a pre and post eating test which gives the best indicator of liver function.

Other things to look out for are poisoning, lead poisoning was suspected in my dogs case some dogs get it from chewing batteries etc.

Worms. I know personally of 2 pups (no cnnection to each other) that suffered recurrent seizures due to heavy worm burden. I think Trisvern on here also had a rescue pup in that suffered the same.

Once wormed and cleared of the infestation, the dogs returned to normal.

Yes I was also going to say worms.

When I got my shepherd many years ago he had a seizure and it was due to him not being wormed as a baby by the breeder. He spent a couple of days at the vets and then all was okay.

Pepper was around 13 weeks, when he had terrible seizures (nearly died, induced coma, intensive care etc...) 3 days after his second puppy vaccination. Most vets we saw in Sydney did not think there was a connection with the vaccination, but some vets in Germany I spoke with, thought there might well have been a reaction. Kennel cough (Bordetella) appears to be the most likely suspect here.

Anyway, Pepper came out of it, and - touch wood - has been fine so far, he is nearly 2 years old now.

Since this episode, he has not had any vaccination, only Parvo (single), and that only because some dogs were found with Parvo around the Inner West. From now on Pepper will have blood Titre tests to determine whether even Parvo vac. is necessary.

Hope the little baby is going to be o.k.!

There is anecdotal evidence that vaccinations combiined with flea/worm treatments which are ingested have caused fits. If this is the case the seizures should stop after time.

apparently he was seizure free yesterday and my friend has to take a stool sample to the vet, that's all the info I got. I still don't know whether blood tests were done or whether the breeder has been contacted. I hope to find out a little more soon.

I will definitely pass on the information posted here, who would have thought that doing the right thing by flea treating and vaccinating your pup could cause damage? :confused:

In the cases where the cause was flea treatment and/or vaccines, did the puppies recover ok?

Thanks for all your replies, I'll update you as soon as I know more. I just hope the little guy will be ok.