More Questions About My Foster Boy - Huey!

PoppyDog

I just bloody hope they dont go through with getting dogs up from blacktown without taking a damn good look at the risks - if they put any dogs straight from blacktown on transport with somebodies little puppy they deserve to be shot.

(ironicly my comments on disease control re: transport for dogs from interstate were deleted)

ETA - they have now put this up:

"Announcement - if persons have any questions regarding *name of group* please call us during office hours. Public forums including facebook are not the avenue for slander or defaming of ******* or any other like minded groups. ******* has no interest in assuming how other organisations are run and would appreciate the same courtesy given to us."

I take it they mean public groups are not somewhere they want people to ask questions given nobody *did* slander or defame them via facebook that I saw - unless I missed something? I'm not sure what good calling would do since they have said they dont feel the need to let people who are not signed up with them know how they operate - makes it tough for prospective foster carers who know what to look for to decide if they are an ethical organisation they want to work with!

Edited by Kissindra

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand why they would be considering bringing dogs in from another state when we have the numbers of animals to deal with in QLD that we do.

The transportation of pound dogs is another issue, and one that too many are prepared to turn a blind eye to.

Oh :) I am so sorry poor Huey is ill... and sorry your first fostering experience was a nasty one.

I also think Staycalm's post is a good one...

You have a HUGE job ahead of you scrubbing/binning/cleaning ..water/food bowls, your shoes/clothes/the couch/crates... carfloors/pedals/seats...

:laugh:

Hope Huey recovers well ,and that Poppy's vacc's keep her well.

"Announcement - if persons have any questions regarding *name of group* please call us during office hours. Public forums including facebook are not the avenue for slander or defaming of ******* or any other like minded groups. ******* has no interest in assuming how other organisations are run and would appreciate the same courtesy given to us."

I take it they mean public groups are not somewhere they want people to ask questions given nobody *did* slander or defame them via facebook that I saw - unless I missed something? I'm not sure what good calling would do since they have said they dont feel the need to let people who are not signed up with them know how they operate - makes it tough for prospective foster carers who know what to look for to decide if they are an ethical organisation they want to work with!

No defaming is going on. Just a little story of what happenned.

Could you please post the name of the group?

I want to know who this group is that has no interest in hearing about best practices that other orgs are using.

How can something be defamation if it's the truth? That aside, I would like to know the name of this rescue group - PM is fine. I offer $$$s to reputable shelters to help rescue dogs. This is not reputable in my eyes and I do not want to inadvertently support such a group.

I think the group in question is full of good intentions but needs to slow down and put some procedures into place.

There is nothing wrong with trying to save animals but it needs to be done in a manner that is in the best interests of all concerned. We cannot save them all that is the sad reality of it for now, BUT we can make sure that when we do rescue we do it right. Only taking those that can be safely and responsibly housed and cared for is terribly important and it is where so many groups and individuals stumble.

The OP entered into this with good intentions and has now discovered that things could have been done differently, I hope she can see that in the future she can play her part and have a different result.

Rescue comes with risks and sometimes sadness but we can limit the risks and we must all be fully aware of what can go wrong and how we can try to lessen the risks and also how to deal with those events if they arise.

Poppy got her C5 booster today and I talked to my vet about what had happened. I also asked about whether we should be holding off on vaccinating Poppy but he explained the C5 is not a live vaccine and will not increase the risk of Poppy suffering from Parvo if she is carrying it. He told me he very much doubts that Poppy will get the virus and said that in the off chance that she does it wouldn't be as severe as it would be for an unvaccinated dog. So that was a big relief.

He told me he was surprised that Huey wasn't vaccinated before coming to me and said he ha never heard of a rescue group that didn't vaccinate before putting dogs in foster homes.

I haven't heard anything about how Huey is going since Thursday morning. Been trawling through the FB page trying to see if I can find info! Last I read he was being offered some food so I guess that's a positive sign! Hope he makes a full recovery and finds an amazing forever home!!!

What a tragedy for poor little huey, I only just seen your other thread about the parvo, an aweful situation for you to be in. So have you got any more news on how Huey is? Hope he will make a full recovery.

PD, Poppy must now be quarantined too.

She may not contract parvo but she may be a carrier.

That means that ideally she should not leave your yard and should DEFINITELY not have contact with dogs for the next 21 days.

Sometimes the people banging on about quarantine here are proved right. So sorry that's the case here.

I'll count some blessings that Huey never made it onto a plane or a public dog transport trailer.

I'd not be counting on any support from the rescue. They may shove their heads in the sand. Hopefully not.

Thanks TLC.

On Saturday I read that he had vomitted up the food they offered on Friday so he would go another 2 days on no food and then they would try again.

They deleted my comment where I asked how he was after they commented they had been trying to call me for days and I replied saying there had only been 1 missed call from them last Thursday when they left a message. When I tried to call them back there was no answer. Admittedly I didn't leave a message but I thought the missed call log on the mobile would of meant they would of called me back again.

But no contact other than me initiating it on their FB page! So dissapointing!

But have had lots of lovely PM's from members on here and even people on FB saying they won't be doing fostering for them again after they have had negative experiences too.

Oh dear. :p What a shame.

Too much too soon.

A lot of NSW dogs have been heading that direction - on transport, paid for with donations. People are so trusting of rescuers.

I agree. I think it's admirable that they are literally trying to save them all but the realistic situation is that they simply cannot save them all!

So wouldn't it be better to make sure the ones they do save are vaccinated before being sent to foster homes AND that their foster carers are supported, that they meet with them before the become carers, check in on them via phone and email regularly and in person as often as possible.

Missed this before! :confused:

Poppy will be quarantined. I did take he to the vet for her 12 moth booster because she was due for it and I was worried that holding off would be bad. Spoke to the vet about the whole situation though so he was aware she may be carrying it.

We won't be taking her anywhere and won't be having any doggy friends over either! Even though I was told by the rescue group I could keep fostering just as long as they were vaccinated dogs! *rolls eyes*

PD, Poppy must now be quarantined too.

She may not contract parvo but she may be a carrier.

That means that ideally she should not leave your yard and should DEFINITELY not have contact with dogs for the next 21 days.

Sometimes the people banging on about quarantine here are proved right. So sorry that's the case here.

I'll count some blessings that Huey never made it onto a plane or a public dog transport trailer.

I'd not be counting on any support from the rescue. They may shove their heads in the sand. Hopefully not.

So sorry for your bad experience PoppyDog. :rolleyes:

eta worked it out now

"It is with great sadness that I let you all know of our second case of parvovirus. Bindi is a little silky terrier girl only 8 weeks old. She is was rushed to an **** vet today and is currently undergoing treatment. Please all keep her in your thoughts as she has a long hard road ahead of her if she is to make a full recovery. Please -... she really needs positive thoughts.

We all know the huge vet bills associated with treating Parvovirus - and as ***'s policy is 100% NO KILL, we would appreciate if you could please give generously.

Thank you in advance for your support. I will be providing regular updates on her.*bank account details removed*"

And in reply:

*name removed* i hope she gets better...she is beautiful

*name removed 2* Get better lil' one. It was nice meeting you today at photoshoot.

*name removed 2* <---<---<--- Over protective Mum....I'm actually ringing my vet tomorrow and bringing Bev's check up and booster appointment forward, just to be sure as she had contact with poor lil' Bindi today. Mainly because she's picked up cold type virus and her defences might be a lil' down. I'd rather be sure than sorry.

*name removed 3* Oh thats terrible was she at the photo shoot? I hope no others got it off her :-(

Which rather sounds like an 8 week old puppy who had not been quarantined/fully vaccinated and another dog ill with a "cold type virus" who was in need of a booster/check up went to a public park (newfarm park 10am Sunday the 27th for those in Brisbane) for a photo shoot with other foster dogs(the estimate for numbers was 30+ but I do not know how many turned up). I do know there were other puppies present, i do not know the age or state of vaccination.

Edited by Kissindra

:laugh::laugh: Is it possible to let the Council know and ask if they can treat that park with Virkon or F10? Most rescue peeps learn after one incident but to take unvaccinated and unquarantined puppies into a public dog park is criminal.

"It is with great sadness that I let you all know of our second case of parvovirus. Bindi is a little silky terrier girl only 8 weeks old. She is was rushed to an **** vet today and is currently undergoing treatment. Please all keep her in your thoughts as she has a long hard road ahead of her if she is to make a full recovery. Please -... she really needs positive thoughts.

We all know the huge vet bills associated with treating Parvovirus - and as ***'s policy is 100% NO KILL, we would appreciate if you could please give generously.

Thank you in advance for your support. I will be providing regular updates on her.*bank account details removed*"

And in reply:

*name removed* i hope she gets better...she is beautiful

*name removed 2* Get better lil' one. It was nice meeting you today at photoshoot.

*name removed 2* <---<---<--- Over protective Mum....I'm actually ringing my vet tomorrow and bringing Bev's check up and booster appointment forward, just to be sure as she had contact with poor lil' Bindi today. Mainly because she's picked up cold type virus and her defences might be a lil' down. I'd rather be sure than sorry.

*name removed 3* Oh thats terrible was she at the photo shoot? I hope no others got it off her :-(

Which rather sounds like an 8 week old puppy who had not been quarantined/fully vaccinated and another dog ill with a "cold type virus" who was in need of a booster/check up went to a public park (newfarm park 10am Sunday the 27th for those in Brisbane) for a photo shoot with other foster dogs(the estimate for numbers was 30+ but I do not know how many turned up). I do know there were other puppies present, i do not know the age or state of vaccination.

ARGH! I was there yesterday (briefly) with Sid!

I feel your pain. :laugh:

I was in a similar situation, I took on two puppies from a litter and my next door neighbour took another. I asked the rescue group if they were to be vet checked and deemed healthy before being given to us and they said yes... Not only do both the pups come down with kennel cough, which we weren't allowed to take them to the vet for since they had to be taken to the groups own specified vet which was hours away, but I get a call a from the rescue group telling me that a pup in the litter had gotten parvo and I had to watch the puppies we had to see if they showed any signs of it too. Myself and my family were a nervous wreck, nobody had warned us of this and our dogs are only ever vaccinated 3 yearly. Turns out the puppy that got parvo was the one that went next door, poor pup ended up dyeing. We called the rescue group to collect the pups we had asap, we didn't sign up for putting our own dogs at risk like that, plus their kennel cough was continuing to get worse.

What perplexes me is that my neighbours still continue to foster young puppies to this day, wouldn't they be putting the puppies at risk of picking up the virus in that environment?

I'm sorry you've had to go through this it's a horrible feeling, especially when you had no warning and were just trying to do the right thing.