More Questions About My Foster Boy - Huey!

PoppyDog

This from another website:

"We need a regular weekly run of dogs of all shapes, ages and sizes from XXX NSW to Brisbane to enable us to assist with re-homing homeless dogs. On a weekly basis there will be up to 10 dogs needing transport and cages will also need to be sourced (by XXX) to transport these dogs safely. Ideally you will need a van of some description that will fit a number of cages in the back. I am open to ideas / suggestions / how you think you might be able to help. Please contact me as we need all the support we can to help these guys."

This, I understand, is before any sort of vetting at all and on arrival in Brisbane the dogs go straight into unsuspecting foster homes. In response to their second parvo case, I posted on fb a question about quarantine (which was later deleted by the rescue). The response I had initially was 'yes the puppy was quarantined, I had her separate from my big dogs the day she arrived' (the day before the outing at the park). That seemed to be the extent of their knowledge of quarantine...

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ipswich thankfully is about to be partnered with AWL Qld who will be working at the same facility :hug: Hopefully I will be able to do a bit of volunteer work when we eventually get back to Ipswich. Just to add the UQ of Qld have a great rehoming program

I wish I were closer to AWL Qld to do something more hands-on than financial support alone.

Yes, the UQ adoption program is one of the best places to get dogs & cats from. Our cat came thro' that program & she's great.

By the way, unvaccinated dogs are all over the place...leaving their 'presence' on footpaths, in parks & other public places. Human shoes supply a transport system.

True however there is an expectation that anyone purporting to have the dogs best interests at heart would behave in a more professional and responsible manner.

Let's be honest, if a breeders behaved like this they would be hung drawn and quartered. the same rules should apply to rescue as it does to breeders

JB, you've taken a general statement I made & interpreted it as having some unwritten significance about the rescue group....or any rescue group.

I simply made a statement of fact, highlighting the general importance of getting dogs vaccinated. Which is why I started the sentence with 'By the way...' That is, As a side issue.

Edited by mita

I am just sad that rescue in Qld is going backwards thanks to unethical practices, I fear that something worse will happen, they have a save everything policy no matter what the health or temp of the animal in question, its a accident waiting to happen. If it hasn't happened already. A dog they had listed on Petrescue worred me last week Sharpei x Cattle Dog food aggressive and small dog aggressive but was great with kids, I hope the kids don't go near the food bowl!

Edited by varicool

Surely transport companies have an obligation to disinfect their trailers, cages, etc too though?

and they most likely do at the end of each trip. Not much help though if a parvo infected dog is loaded in next to yours mid way.

Sadly they are not the only group that has no understanding of quarantine and other issues.

It is like some competition to see who saves the most dogs regardless of the risks.

Yes, the numbers game. Like numbers make you a better rescue.

I saw the second parvo pup's photo, I listed her on Dol. She is my kind of breed X and the spitting image of another pup we rescued down here. I badly wished I could help and still feel awful especially now she is sick.

BUT putting that pup on freighted transport to Sydney was absolutely not an option... for all the seemingly obvious reasons. :cry:

Edited by Powerlegs

Surely transport companies have an obligation to disinfect their trailers, cages, etc too though?

At Wagga Ive seen with my own eyes crates destined for one transport company's use simply opened - old paper out new newspaper in - new puppies in.

Not that it mattered much puppies stunk to high heaven and were destined for a well known pet shop in Sydney. Puppy farmer.

Sadly they are not the only group that has no understanding of quarantine and other issues.

It is like some competition to see who saves the most dogs regardless of the risks.

Yep I saw for my own eyes (though I have to admit it was a few years back) dogs unloaded from a van from the pound in NSW and straight into kennels with other dogs at a large rescue in the Sydney area. I would hope that their practices have changed since.

Although I do think you cannot go into fostering thinking you will not come across minor issues, such as housebreaking, barking, chewing, problems with your existing dog and the new dog etc, the thought that a "rescue" is putting unquarantined dogs into the homes of unuspecting fosterers is absolutely terrible. :)