Ffs

2tollers

A concerned driver took a photo of the dog cage.

A photo of a dog cage attached to the back of a car in Melbourne has sparked outrage and caused the RSCPA to try and hunt down the driver.

A photo of the modified vehicle was submitted to Melbourne radio station 3AW this morning and the animal welfare group launched an investigation minutes later.

Despite causing outrage among people who saw the car driving around, police say the cage is not technically illegal and so there is little they can do about it.

3AW listener Dennis Gambrellis said: "I couldn't believe my eyes. I actually had to slow down and get behind it once again to see if what I was actually looking at was true."

"[The dog] tried to do a bit of a turn at one stage but he just couldn't move."

The number plate is clearly visible in the photo and the RSPCA hopes this will assist them in their investigation.

An RSPCA doctor said the cramped wire cage so close to the exhaust pipe is unsafe and cruel.

"If a car rams the back of this vehicle with this cage, the cage will collapse and the dog will be dead," Dr Hugh Wirth told Nine News.

Ok, i don't agree with it, but dogs tied on the back of ute trays is worse, and far more common, nobody reports them.

Plus one day while i was at the pound there was a huge livestock truck outside, the guys were at the pound looking for a bull arab type, they had several kelpie's in the empty truck running around, it was empty, but underneath the truck was a cage, like this, where the dogs were kept when the truck was full of livestock, they loaded the bull arab they bought into it to head all the way back home. Was scary for the poor boy who had been a surrender with a small fluffy living in surburbia.

Cages similar to this are pretty common in NZ - usually solid though guess because it's colder? - and the exhaust isn't generally considered to be an issue. Being rear-ended, definitely!

The cage under the stock truck is a very common way of transporting both stock dogs and random other dogs that need transporting too.