Any Good Groomers These Days?

Prior to now, I was a groomer of dogs and cats. I would charge people realistically and not rip people off. For example, I would base my prices on how long I would spend on the animal (ie 30 per hour). Customers were happy with what they were paying and in turn would prefer to get their dogs groomed more often. I've recently been too busy to groom my own dogs and cat so thought I'd call around to local groomers (Sydney) and was shocked with the prices! On average they were charging $65-$80 for a Maltese, unmatted to be clipped and washed! And no one is willing to groom cats unsedated.. Out of desperation I dropped off my cat to be clipped and after being told on the phone that an unmatted cat would cost me $60 on top of sedation fee, I was charged $85 upon pick up! I think groomers should tell the customer the cost when the animal is dropped off to avoid any surprises. It's getting harder and harder these days to find vets and groomers who genuinely care for the animals and don't just see $$ signs when you walk through their doors!

Prior to now, I was a groomer of dogs and cats. I would charge people realistically and not rip people off. For example, I would base my prices on how long I would spend on the animal (ie 30 per hour). Customers were happy with what they were paying and in turn would prefer to get their dogs groomed more often. I've recently been too busy to groom my own dogs and cat so thought I'd call around to local groomers (Sydney) and was shocked with the prices! On average they were charging $65-$80 for a Maltese, unmatted to be clipped and washed! And no one is willing to groom cats unsedated.. Out of desperation I dropped off my cat to be clipped and after being told on the phone that an unmatted cat would cost me $60 on top of sedation fee, I was charged $85 upon pick up! I think groomers should tell the customer the cost when the animal is dropped off to avoid any surprises. It's getting harder and harder these days to find vets and groomers who genuinely care for the animals and don't just see $$ signs when you walk through their doors!

Wow only $15 for sedation that is a good price, I don't know what you were expecting.

I am a groomer and I no longer do cats unless they are sedated, because the only cats I see are matted and not happy campers. $32 sedation on top of grooming is what my clients pay happily.

People can't work for the love of it.

I agree $80 is tipping the steep end of a swf clip but if the market allows for it, why not?

I've kept my swf price at $60 for years when I know I could have put it up $5 or so. I know pockets in Sydney though where you wouldn't find the same job for less than $80.

You should be thankful that they phoned to let you know of the price adjustment :laugh: . A lot of groomers would just do it then hit you up with the difference without giving you the option.

$85 is cheap for a cat. It's normally $100 plus in the area I worked.

I can remember when I first started grooming, the high end price for a swf was $40 :o

Edited by Clyde

I am a groomer in Melbourne, I charge $60 for little fluffies that includes nails, plucked ears and anal glands which many groomers won't do. I charge $44 to clip off a cat not sedated, if they need sedating the vets charge an extra $5.50 but if an anesthetic is required the price jumps dramatically.

I am also disgusted at the amount of groomers that have no care for the animals and only see $$$.

I recently had surgery on my right hand and was off work for 6 weeks, I had numerous clients come back very upset about other groomers that they had taken their dogs to, some of the jobs were appalling.

:laugh: Think Ill be uping my price !!!!!!!

I only groom cockers ,& charge a mere $30.00 full groom ,matted or not !!!!!!!

I also am appauled @ groomers Who simply cant be bothered to do their job propally & take the short cuts !!!!!In more ways than one !!!!!!!!

Let me see to get an electrician out here the other day I was going to have to pay $160 for a call out fee. My gardener charges $45 an hour. Last haircut was $50 and I was in and out well within the hour. So why exactly should a groomer work as a charity?

These days people expect a professional approach. Therefore you need to charge as a professional. There is no question you will pay more in Sydney than you will in Melbourne - Boarding Kennels and vets also seem dearer in Sydney. Not sure why but perhaps property prices and rent are dearer and perhaps there is more competition in Melbourne so prices have to be lower.

If you are self-employed in the animal industry (as most are) you should be working on a rate of $60 per hour. Otherwise you may as well give up. A grooming salon has many overheads and would probably be looking at more the $80 per hour. A part-time person who is happy to groom as a sideline is probably happy with $30 per hour as they might be supplimenting the family income.

When it comes down to it. People will charge what other people are prepared to pay and what the area they cater to can afford. Mind you a higher price does not mean a better standard.

Yes there are still very good groomers who care about dogs and do a great job. My dogs go to one :(

I will say there are some "cowboys" out there but ask around and you will always find a great groomer - like most services (hairdressers, doctors ect) it can take a few goes until you find one you like.

I find in my area(not a groomer but have worked with one), people still complain and i always use to tell them your lucky you are not in sydney.

The ones who complain have matted dogs and come every 6-8 weeks no wonder it is expensive !

Price range is around 50, 55 for a malt, +$ if they are hard to do or matted

Anything that is prone to loose huge amounts of hair eg mal and husky

you would be looking at 80 + just for a bath and blow dry for dogs if they don't really shed coat and if your dog lost hair when drying, you would get charged extra as we had to do the clean up and it took forever to dry.

70 for medium size dogs like a cocker spaniel b/dry, shave and tidy, nails, ears or a border collie for b/dry trim and tidy, nails, ears, and matts cut out and around 80 for a full shave.

$$$!,

so they go in and out quick as possible so they can get more dogs and the $ that comes wiht it, if they are a business with multiple dogs coming and going it is the easiest way.

so it is based on what the owner wants and the temperment of the dog.

How long would it take to groom an unmatted SWF?

I've always wondered why groomers seem to charge prices based on breed or size rather than time taken - why is this?

Our groomer at work charges more for a SWF than for a labrador or keplie or other shorthaired largish dog.

They often take a longer time to dry, trim and neaten up.

They also often keep the dogs in all day and work on them sproadically throughout the day. like do all the baths in the morning, the dogs are dried in their cages while others are being washed, then the clipping etc so it would be quite hard to keep tabs on how long each dog took.

It is easier to charge for breed because they are usually similar so will take around the same amount of time. I am amazed how much some groomers will charge that cage dry their dogs, I disagree with this process 100% and the owners should be charged less because it means they can do many more dogs in a day.

I also think lots of people get ripped off with the price of double coated breeds that need to have their undercoat groomed out (with the acception of a couple of breeds), if the right process and equiptment is used the work should't be that hard.

People are paying for a service that they are either unwilling or unable to do themselves, obviously the market is there or people wouldn't be paying the prices they do. Those that are unhappy with what they have paid or the service they receive soon find a new salon, or learn to do it themselves.

Grooming is hard, dirty and often thankless work.

Where I work the charge for a SWF is $75, extra if matted. That's 1 1/2 hours, of one on one time, no cage drying, full bath, dry and clip, nails,ears. So that is $50 an hour. When you take out all the overheads of running a salon and then paying wages, I think thats pretty damn fair. You wont get another other professional's time for that cheap!

Most of my clients are more than happy to pay for the work I do. One lady today was so excited to see her puppy all primped and preened I thought she was going to burst! The ones who complain about the prices are the ones who leave their dogs to get so badly matted that its a mammoth task just taking it all off with a $10 blade.

I am not a groomer but i have just got home after spending 2 hours tonight and about another 3 hours earlier in the week grooming (clipping, trimming, bathing and plucking) a family members dog who hasn't been groomed for months. Whatever groomers get paid, its not enough!!

cosmolo - i hear this alot!! i have had a few customers try to save cash by doing every second groom themselves... they come back close to tears asking how i do it... are all dogs as naughty as theirs?? then i hold the dog and its an angel bahaha

i groom in melbourne and i dont pay any attention to what other groomers are charging i set my prices to what suits me and my costs and time etc... and i am pretty well booked out all the time and only opened last yr i havea steady client base who i love and yeh im the kind of person who turns away crappy dogs lol i dont need that crap... if i like the dogs nad what to work on their behaviour i do like shnauzies i alwasy work on them bahaha

i have the clients who no matter the amount of time wasted lecuturing them on brushing and the pain mating causes they still bring their dogs in for a 10 blade clip off 6 monthly :laugh: grrr I charge more and give the dog plenty of love and cuddles

i love my job and i would like to think that there are more like me out there

Well... my experiences has shown me that the prices quoted throughout this thread seem about right.

I've been grooming for just over two years. I desperately want to work for myself, but at the moment, funds aren't being cooperative!

I've just been offered a job in a salon, $18 an hour. Ouch! In both respects - physically and financially!

Might have to reconsider. Yes, it will be great for keeping my speed up, but I have a feeling as the primary groomer, I'm going to be inundated and feel rushed into doing more dogs than I'm comfortable doing.

I, like you and many other groomers Kirstgoldens, want to make a darn good job of each dog I groom, not just rush through to make the owners of the salon bags of money :laugh:

Feeling unsure about the whole thing now.

Well... my experiences has shown me that the prices quoted throughout this thread seem about right.

I've been grooming for just over two years. I desperately want to work for myself, but at the moment, funds aren't being cooperative!

I've just been offered a job in a salon, $18 an hour. Ouch! In both respects - physically and financially!

Might have to reconsider. Yes, it will be great for keeping my speed up, but I have a feeling as the primary groomer, I'm going to be inundated and feel rushed into doing more dogs than I'm comfortable doing.

I, like you and many other groomers Kirstgoldens, want to make a darn good job of each dog I groom, not just rush through to make the owners of the salon bags of money :confused:

Feeling unsure about the whole thing now.

TT - unless you are a junior, I think $18 an hour is way too low. Is it casual rates or permanent full time? Fancy a move to Victoria? We are interviewing right now.

Sags

:rofl:

Edited by Sagittarian