Giving Up Dog As Not Safe To Walk Him

loveleroy

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um an amount of training will help him, did you think about getting a bc before you did and think about the stimulation and training they need? Being the smartest breed in the world they need someone willing to pull out all the stops for them.

Don't give him to the RSPCA find a no kill shelter, and obviously you are "traumatized" never obtain another dog again then (as you won't be able to walk them) maybe you're the problem and you should assess yourself, yes its a horrible experience but a lot of people go through a lot worse just be thankful you are both ok and work from there.. If you're the problem, give him up but find a good home and advise the owners of the "incident".

Firstly I'd like to say, please don't take other members posts to heart, some members on here are blunt and to the point or they have limited time to reply. The reasons behind the constructive criticism is because they care. :(

Now, has he done obedience? If not, try to book him into a class. Lots of classes run on weekends or at night to accommodate working or busy people. Obedience worked wonders for my BC! After that we went on to do agility and flyball. It kept his mind busy and made him a more relaxed dog, we only did it once a week but it was enough to see a change in his behaviour. I also did training in the afternoons at the offleash park or our backyard. We made up an obstacle course (it's amazing what you can make out of scrap timber and PVC pipe)!

At the time I also had an ACD who competed as well, and a new baby to juggle but I did it. I just had to manage my time a little better that's all. :(

Some professional counseling for you would not go astray either. You've been thru a traumatic experience and most likely have mild PTSD. Get yourself sorted, you are important too.

I'm rural and have livestock. A working dog with little training and a high prey drive would not be welcome here, don't send him to a farm or he's likely to be shot if he chases chooks, cattle, horses etc.

Nipping kids heels is a normal behaviour but one you can train him not to do, it just takes time and patience.

Best of luck and I do hope you keep him. My BC was a terrorist at this age but blossomed at age 2 and was an amazing dog to have. Sadly we lost him at age 5 due to epilepsy but he will forever be remembered. I know it's hard to have a high energy dog like this but I do believe if you persevere and put in a bit more effort you will be rewarded with a wonderful dog.

thanks for the replys and suggestions. i had a border collie x for 8 years before this one and have done lots of research on the breed. i believed we we were able to provide a good home at the time we got him. i was taking him for 6-7klm walks/runs most days however the attack has ruined this. in my neighbourhood the amount of agressive dogs with ignorant owners is unbelievable. i try to take him to training each week but its been difficult juggling the kids. Unfortunately he also bit a child at school that got in between him staring at kids playing with a ball. i will never have anither dog as i cant bring myself to walk them or exercise out of our home. We all love this dog so much and i know he is our responsibility but i cant help feeling that it would be nicer for him to have a better home where he has lots of room to run.

How about getting in the car and going to a safe area to walk him, you can take the kids as well.

Edited by MEH

I understand how traumatic having dogs rush you and attack your dog can be - one of mine was seriously attacked 7 years ago and it was terrifying, and I wasn't sure if she would make it. I think that seeing a behaviourist (for the dog to give you strategies to help you deal with occasions where you will run into off lead dogs, and it happens to everyone) and a counsellor (for you to help you overcome the trauma of the event) would help enormously. Certainly changing your walking route, time of day of walk, or as others suggested driving to a different spot to walk would help. My girl who was attacked does not like other dogs, so when I walk her I choose a quieter route where we don't run into other dogs, or where I can easily avoid them if they are there.

There are also a lot of things you can do for mental stimulation that will help to keep your dog happy which don't require walking - teaching tricks, obedience skills, balancing and coordination skills, many things can be done in a smaller space.

loveleroy-

being attacked is a very scary thing .I can understand how you are feeling...and this is why we are suggesting you get help.

Unfortunately, your dog sounds as if he needs a LOT more to occupy his brain than you at present have time or energy for . While a 6 km walk will go some way to keeping him physically healthy ...he needs 'work' to do - obedience/agility...or sheep herding, that sort of thing.

is he desexed?

He does not need room to run - he needs an owner who can get him professional help, and find things to occupy his instincts...to make him learn/think/work out problems :(

because he has bitten a child - rehoming him will be tricky.

The wanting to attack the cat (prey drive/frustration) also needs professional help.

May I suggest you get a qualified professional to come to your home and talk with you ...assess your dog , and help you make a decision .

I hope you can get help for your anxieties,and for your dog ....

I am sorry to sound blunt but if he bit a child at school, he does have training issues- issues that will need to be resolved regardless of whether you keep him or rehome him with full disclosure.

I was quite willing to pay a trainer or behaviourist but my main problem is my fear of walking him and now his obsessive need to chase as a result of me not walking him - no ammount of training is going to break his natural instinct of whats been bred into him and im feeling very guilty for trying to bring a working dog into a family home. so thats why i think its best to rehome him to a place with no kids and where he can use his working dog background and be happy. hes always been very gentle with my one year old but does have the hearding instinct and as a young pup nipped holes in my kids clothes when they would run and tease him, he grew out of that and even chewing shoes. the kid at school got in his face (on lead) while he was intently watching the ball, i dont think he meant to connect but....

I am sorry about what you have been through with the attack. You sound very stressed about the whole situation.

You dont need to break his natural instinct nor is it a problem having working dogs with a young family. His behaviours are through lack of training and boundaries.

It is a problem having a young working dog in any home that is lacking in mental stimulation, children have nothing to do with it.

You could walk him all day and he still wouldnt be tired. He needs mental work. Work his brain for half an hour and he will be tired. There is lots you can do to satisfy him even in your own backyard.

Just remember that the adolescent phase is the hardest of them all and if you get some help and change the way you manage him, you may be rewarded with a great family member.

I am sorry, but it is very unlikely that anyone on the land would want him. Its a common thought that people who cant manage their working dogs can just send them to the country. The truth is though, that even though he has some annoying behaviours, he may be useless as a working dog plus there are hundreds of working dogs in pounds needing homes with less issues than your dog.

'he loves to chase things, never leaves the cat alone and is obsessed with the kids moving around in the house that he throws himself against the window.'
'he also bit a child at school that got in between him staring at kids playing with a ball.'
now his obsessive need to chase as a result of me not walking him'

'as a young pup nipped holes in my kids clothes when they would run and tease him'

'the kid at school got in his face (on lead) while he was intently watching the ball, i dont think he meant to connect but....'

I see all these things as training issues, things that YOU CAN work on with your dog.

Perhaps at the time you did not realise that your dog intently watching a ball was a bad thing but it is, you need to get your dog to focus on you rather than the ball.

PLEASE teach your children not to tease your dog

And yes I am going to be harsh, irresponsible dog owners are not only those who have their dog off leash.

I hope you find a nice experienced home to take your dog.

If you decide to keep him some training will also help to reduce the chance of him getting attacked.

Not saying it was your's or your dogs fault AT ALL, and your not breaking the law, but a hyper young boistrous dog can draw more attention to himself when out walking. Is he desexed?

My male dog was horribly attacked by 2 GSD's when he was 8 months old, and that turned a switch on in his head- the 'get them before they get me' thought pattern. With training and time it was turned around. I did always note though that when he was defensive and puffing himself up he always drew more attention to himself, whereas when he was calm, not making eye contact with strange dogs and a neutral tail carriage we hardly ever got approached.

Think about keeping him and getting some help. You will probably unlock a brilliant dog!

I second the not sending him to acreage.

I live on a farm I have manily livestock fences as most have. My dogs need to be better trained than dogs that live in a suburban backyard as if they wanted to they could get through the fences and nick off or chase stock. They are not left out when I am not outside but if they were not trained they could wreak havoc as have some other dogs I have looked after for a short while.

If you have that much of an issue with walking thim then I think it might be a good idea for you to seek appopriate help as it is not conducive to a happy stress free life if you are that stressed about going out and having other dogs running towards you (and/or your dog) for fear of attack.

I would be putting him and the kids in the car and driving somehwere where he can have a safe walk or off lead run. There are many mnay things you can train in your loungeroom at night when the kids are asleep that will help occupy his brain, I do this often.

I got my first Whippet when I had a 2yr old and a 5 month old. Now living on acerage does make it easier as I didn't have to drive anywhere but not having puppy proof fences meant I had to be outside every single time she was, which as a baby puppy is a lot! I did temp fence a small area off near the door but it had no shelter etc so was basically to put her in to toilet when I couldn't be outside for a moment.

I guess it comes down to how much you do actually want to keep the dog.

If you would really rather not keep him then he will know that. I would also suggest contacting his breeder to see if they can take him back and rehome him

Some years ago when I lived in the city in a tiny little house in the suburbs I had two big dogs (GSD and Cattle Dog X). When it was too cold (or I was too lazy) to go to the park I trained them in my loungeroom. You don't need much room to teach sit/drop/stay. I used to put them into stay and disappear up the hallway where they couldn't see me to teach them to stay when I was out of sight. They were the best trained dogs I've ever had, even though they lived in the smallest space. You can clicker train in your loungeroom if you want to, you only need a clicker, some treats and a few ideas which area all over these forums.

I've got a photo somewhere of one of our rescue dogs in her new home. The kids in her new family set up a little agility course for her with a couple of bricks and a broomstick and she's having the time of her life jumping over it.

Re getting a behaviourist - A good behaviourist looks at the owner and the dog's environment as much as the dog :( Not to sound negative, but there are probably a lot of things you are doing which inadvertently are causing problems for your dog.

However, to be direct, I think the issue here is more about how you are dealing with things rather than your dog per se. You may rehome your BC, but unless you get help for yourself, your nervousness is not going to get better - infact it may degenerate further.

I would be looking for assistance for you as much as your dog. When you are confident and feel well mentally you will be able to deal with your dog's behaviour in a positive manner.

Yes I agree lots of room doesn't mean an excercised dog because most dogs don't self excercise anyways. I live on a quarter acre. The girls will do one walking lap every couple hours to sniff and then just go and lay down. They will only run around the backyard if I am throwing a ball for them etc.

I think setting up an agility course in your backyard is a fantastic idea (I might even do it myself!) and just do as many 5 - 10 min training sessions during the day in your house or backyard as you can, that will give the dog mental stimulation which is just as important as physical excercise. Then for excercise do what others have suggested and drive to a more secure location to take the dog for a walk. Do you have a partner/husband etc? Maybe your OH can help with the walking if you are uncomfortable doing it? Obviously if your a single mum this idea isn't going to help. Mental stimulation will do you the world of good. Your dog is also in an adolescent stage things will become better as he matures.

If you do go ahead with rehoming then you need to remember he is your responsibility so it is so very important that you make sure he goes to the right home. That includes full disclosure of him biting a child, of his bad behaviours (ie; nipping at feet, chasing children, throwing himself at window) and of him being attacked by another dog. This way you ensure he is going to a home which fully understand his problems. And it would be best to do a trial period of 2 weeks or so with a new home.

I do hope that you can figure something out that is best for you and the dog. I hope you give it a working chance at home first. I am sure with some extra training and help from a behaviouralist and a therapist for yourself things could improve for you.

Good luck.

Wow so many responses! Thanks for your time.

I appear to have overstated his bad behaviour though, he is not bad at all. Yes, he does like to goad the cat into running away from him and chases him alot but then the cat comes back for more and even lies in his bed with him, they are friends. He hasnt wanted to chase cats or other dogs when we have been out walking and even if he has snuck out the front whilst we are putting bins out he hasnt crossed the road to go after the neighbours cat. He has never bitten or attempted any aggression with my children (nor was there any aggression or intent with the one that accidently got bitten in the school). I have taken his food away from him from a young age and my children have fed him, he steps away from his bowl or bone if my children step outside or near him. He is a very smart boy and very keen to please, if I tell him to leave he will 99% of the time do as he's told, sometimes the temptation is too great. He entertains himself alot with toys and balls etc and he just gets very excited when my children run around in the house and he's outside looking in - he's certainly not out of control and is mostly just puppy age behavour. I know the problem lies in myself and my fears and anxiety, i thought it might be a better life for him to be with someone whom could take him to agility and be able to walk and play with him lots. I wasnt suggesting he be around young children or on a farm as such and would disclose all the info and thoroughly screen people. However after all your replies I might seek help for myself and carry an umbrella or stick in order to feel safer when walking him and make more effort to go to dog training each week.

I second getting some counselling for yourself as well as help for the dog.

I suffer from anxiety and understand that sometimes events can cause one to have an irrational fear that something bad will happen.

However, even if there are a lot of unleashed dogs in your area (as there are unfortunately in most areas including my own due to idiotic owners) this does not mean that every single one will attck you and your dog. We meet unleashed dogs at least a couple of times a week sometimes more, my dog has only ever been attacked by one. Even though that's not acceptable in any way (and believe me irresponsible owners make me mad :cry:) there are pretty good odds that an attack will not happen every time you step out the door. Even if you don't have a dog, you want to be able to walk the streets with your children without an irrational fear that something bad will happen, just as you want to be able to drive a car without thinking that some idiot will crash into you. Yes it could happen but it is unlikely.

Unfortunately there will always be people who choose to ignore laws, be it drink driving, speeding, stealing, parking in the wrong spot, letting their dog crap and not picking it up or letting them roam off lead. The council, no matter how responsible, will never be able to stop all of them, nor will the police.

We have to live in an imperfect world.

From your posts it does appear that you may have underestimated the needs of the breed and/or the difficulties in meeting those needs when you have a young family.

However, what is done is done. Others have given good advice here, but I second that, just running a long way with the dog (if you were able to get out again) would not solve your issues. The dog is just going to get fitter and demand more. He needs brain stimulation. You would be amazed how much more tired and relaxed a dog can be if it has to work through more complex issues.

My boy has border collie in him as well as stafford. He could chase the ball forever (and he is 8 years old) but he is much more tired after a some scent games or something where he has to work his mind.

I hope that you can take on some of the things people have said and give your dog a chance.

Don't the bomb detection unit or similar organisations look for this dog's type of behaviour for their programme?

He might be perfect. Sounds like he needs a job so it might be worth giving them a call to come out and assess him.

I have a girl with issues and I'm very afraid of large/powerful dogs so...

I sometimes drive to really swanky suburbs to walk her! I find that less people have dogs and if they do they are SWF which, if worse comes to worse, I could sort out with a kick. The added advantage is a like looking at really nice houses, so it makes for pleasant walks.

I also carry a bag with a squeaky ball. This won't stop an aggressive dog, but if an over-enthusiastic dog runs at you and your dog reacts you can throw if for the other dog to chase, giving you some escape time.

I also sing little tunes to help me calm down. It is hard to be stressed when you're humming. I am sure that most people in my local area think I'm nuts, but that does mean they give me and my dogs some space :cry: .

I second (third, fourth?) seeing a behaviourist. Also search for the "Look at That!" game on this forum. This has helped by me and my dog immensely (if she's calm, I'm calm and vice versa).

Wow so many responses! Thanks for your time.

I appear to have overstated his bad behaviour though, he is not bad at all. Yes, he does like to goad the cat into running away from him and chases him alot but then the cat comes back for more and even lies in his bed with him, they are friends. He hasnt wanted to chase cats or other dogs when we have been out walking and even if he has snuck out the front whilst we are putting bins out he hasnt crossed the road to go after the neighbours cat. He has never bitten or attempted any aggression with my children (nor was there any aggression or intent with the one that accidently got bitten in the school). I have taken his food away from him from a young age and my children have fed him, he steps away from his bowl or bone if my children step outside or near him. He is a very smart boy and very keen to please, if I tell him to leave he will 99% of the time do as he's told, sometimes the temptation is too great. He entertains himself alot with toys and balls etc and he just gets very excited when my children run around in the house and he's outside looking in - he's certainly not out of control and is mostly just puppy age behavour. I know the problem lies in myself and my fears and anxiety, i thought it might be a better life for him to be with someone whom could take him to agility and be able to walk and play with him lots. I wasnt suggesting he be around young children or on a farm as such and would disclose all the info and thoroughly screen people. However after all your replies I might seek help for myself and carry an umbrella or stick in order to feel safer when walking him and make more effort to go to dog training each week.

I will repeat my offer of a playdate or a walking partner if you live near me :cry: would be more than happy to help