What To Do

Vickie

Well, if you have the time to devote to a new pup, you'd have to seriously consider rethinking your plans I would say. Plans are only plans afterall, they don't always work out as planned.

It is time for a pro and con list I think! :)

I went to a function the other day in which Mia Freedman spoke and she uses a really useful way of making decisions which I liked the sound of rather than a pros and cons list. She said what she does is:

Imagine for a minute that you have been told a puppy is yours - how do you feel?

Then imagine for a minute that you have missed out on a puppy - how do you feel now?

I went to a function the other day in which Mia Freedman spoke and she uses a really useful way of making decisions which I liked the sound of rather than a pros and cons list. She said what she does is:

Imagine for a minute that you have been told a puppy is yours - how do you feel?

Then imagine for a minute that you have missed out on a puppy - how do you feel now?

Ohhh that's perfect. And I don't show. Or breed. I'm just an avid admirer.

Get the pup, unless there is some huge practical impediment that meant you needed to wait.

You have to take these things as they roll along, if the dam and sire are favourites - go for it.

(although I have a feeling you had already reached that decision anyway :) )

Go for it !!!!! I made the mistake of not geting a pup from the litter i wanted thinking there will always be next time, Due to cirumstances beond anyones control the bitch will not be breed again an i need to find a new breeder.

That's how Wikki came along. I wanted a pup from her Dad and it was likely to be one of his last litters so.............

That said, I now HAVE to wait for my next pup or risk having 4 old dogs that can't compete and no room for a puppy. If you are happy with where your dogs are at (and you seem to be) and it won't cause troubles 'at the other end' then why not go for it.

Otherwise, if you think there might be regrets it is probably not the time.

Get the puppy (if there ends up being one that suits) :eat:

I got both Poppy & Amber this way. Wasn't looking for a pup either time. Just the matings were done with dogs I liked and each time there ended up being the 'right' puppy.

When one of your favourite bitches is about to be bred (likely to your favourite dog) and you hadn't planned on getting another pup for a year or so?

My favourite bitch was bred to a dog I gave a Best in Show to and just loved loved loved , and as soon as I heard I put my order in. Stuff like that rarely happens. :eat:

It was a huge expense as the litter was born in Norway and I hadn't put any money aside beforehand so I just went nuts saving and made a deal with the breeder to pay installments.

I have my boy and would not change anything.

Thanks all, lots of opinions & lots to think about.

The big thing is that: skill wise, I am not ready for this pup right now. I can offer a great home and raise a happy well adjusted & well behaved dog. I am a good owner, but There will be no shortage of homes for this breeding & they will all be better & more experienced trainers than I am.

The question is, how much can I increase my ability & skills by the time this pup would be ready to start some serious training. Do I put everything I have into it & hope I'm ready when the time comes? Or do I put everything into it & wait for the next litter so that I can be more confident in taking a pup?

I already have 2 talented dogs that I have not trained to their potential in this field. I kind of think I owe it to everyone, but especially myself to put the effort into them first. I have the dogs, the time & a tonne of support to help me. The more I think about it, the more my gut says to wait and make sure I have the skills I need.

I already have 2 talented dogs that I have not trained to their potential in this field. I kind of think I owe it to everyone, but especially myself to put the effort into them first. I have the dogs, the time & a tonne of support to help me. The more I think about it, the more my gut says to wait and make sure I have the skills I need.

That's an excellent point, skills and time can get spread too thin.

I think you are being silly about the skills part going on your posts on here over the years. The time part is a different matter and does deserve consideration.

What if there isn't a next litter? How will you feel then?

Sorry Jules, I haven't been very clear. This is a sheepdog breeding. I am a good agility trainer, but a total Novice sheepdog trainer. I am lucky to have naturally talented sheepdogs that make me look better than I am to the uneducated. Lol, to anyone who knows what they are doing, it is clear that I lack the skills required. But I have improved a lot & will continue to improve.

There will always be people breeding good sheepdogs, & certainly good enough for my skill level at the moment. I just really like this bitch & if there isn't another litter, I will find another breeding I like I guess

Edited by Vickie

lol your post did confuse me!

Are the bitch & dog going to produce pups that are happy to chill out? Or will they be pups like the one your friend (Dasha?) had? If they are happy to chill then I don't think the skills thing would be an issue. I am a novice handler but would rather have a savvy dog than a dog with skills to equal mine :eat: I am willing to learn from the dog and not arrogant enough to think I am always right. Not sure if that makes sense?