Puppy Enquiries

Baileys mum

Sex preferred with puppy enquiries  

50 members have voted

1. 1. When you get puppy enquiries what sex is usually more in demand

• Bitches
    • Dogs
    • I usuallly have an even no of people looking for a bitch or dog puppy
    • Most of my enquiries are from people that are just after a healthy puppy & have no preferrence of sex
    • Other

Hi everyone,

I have a poll going in General asking the Dol community what would be the preferred sex for their next puppy.

I have stated on my other thead that with my last litter & my pending litter that the majority of my enquiries have been from people looking for a bitch puppy.

So I'm interested to hear from other breeders if you have found that there is more of a preferrence for one sex over the other or do you usually have an even no of enquiries for both sexes.?

Thanks everyone :laugh::rofl:

Same here everyones lookig for bitches... I rather bitches they seen cleaner then boys lol!!

Yep, I get that all the time too TS, "I just think little girls are cleaner than boys" :laugh: "I don't like how boys cock their leg on everything & hump everything in sight" :rofl: or "boys escape more & roam the streets"

Personally if I was just after a pet, I would much rather a boy as I think they are more cuddly & affectionate than bitches...and I usually try & explain this to people, but most people have their heart set on a girl & its usually impossible to change their mind.

I get an even mix. I get enquiries for bitches "because they're cleaner", and enquiries for dogs mostly from youngish couples or single blokes.

Most come to me wanting a particular sex to begin with - but they seem perhaps willing to change their mind. In my last litter one boy puppy when to a home that wanted a girl. I guess a boy is better than nothing!

I get an even mix. I get enquiries for bitches "because they're cleaner", and enquiries for dogs mostly from youngish couples or single blokes.

Most come to me wanting a particular sex to begin with - but they seem perhaps willing to change their mind. In my last litter one boy puppy when to a home that wanted a girl. I guess a boy is better than nothing!

Tha's exactly right Leema...& I do have a couple of people on my list that do want a bitch for their preferred choice.. but are willing to take a boy if a girl is not available.

I think it would vary from breed to breed so I voted other.

From experience over the last few litters it will vary considerably. For example my last litter was 9 bitches and 4 dogs, we initially had plenty of quality inquiries for both sexes amongst the many that were not suitable. Had we of had 9 dogs and 4 bitches we could have found suitable homes. Rule of thumb with our breed is that people are after the sex of which there is less about at the time.........go figure..... :rofl:

Having said that I did find it a little more difficult to find the quality homes before they all reached 8 weeks due to default puppy buyers but the ones that took a little longer to find their homes were well worth the wait for their excellent forever homes. I would rather run on puppies and wait for the right homes to come along then to place them in a home where I am not 100% comfortable for the sake of homing a puppy.

Edited by Stolzseinrotts

We always seem to have more puppy enquiries for whatever sex we have the least of. So if we only have a few boys, we get innundated with enquiries for boys and hardly any girls, and vice versa.

The same happens with coat length. If I have mainly long coats, people enquire about normal coats and if I have mainly normal coats, I get more enquiries about long coats. Can't win! :rofl:

With the last litter it was girls, girls, girls, girls girls!!

I couldn't convince any of them that boys don't roam, or that they are not affectionate than the girls, that they don't hump everything, that they are less trainable!!! Haven't really advertised this litter so who knows what the current trend is.

Same here everyones lookig for bitches... I rather bitches they seen cleaner then boys lol!!

Yep, I get that all the time too TS, "I just think little girls are cleaner than boys" :) "I don't like how boys cock their leg on everything & hump everything in sight" :) or "boys escape more & roam the streets"

Personally if I was just after a pet, I would much rather a boy as I think they are more cuddly & affectionate than bitches...and I usually try & explain this to people, but most people have their heart set on a girl & its usually impossible to change their mind.

I always had many more enquiries for girls but never had any trouble convincing them that in my breed, a boy would be a better choice for a pet in most circumstances. My males have always been much faster to house train and to train in every other aspect. They are also more devoted and affectionate than the independant girls. Also once the puppy buyers meet my charming males they are easily sold on the idea of a boy.

Having said all that though I would be reluctant to take on a small terrier or some toy breed males. I have just heard so many horror stories and seen so many dogs at shows that seem to think it is ok to lift their leg everywhere, that it would make me wary. So many of small terriers seem to pee on everything they pass (including other people's chairs, cabanas, crates, etc) and even lift their legs while crated at shows that it really turns me off them. Must say though I have never seen an owner reprimand them for it so maybe it is the owners fault. I would throttle my dogs if they peed through their crates onto another dog or on other people's gear at shows but it seems to be common with the small terriers.

I agree puppy enquiries are almost always for the sex you don't have. My last litter was 2 boys & 6 girls and all of the early enquiries were for boys ( I could have easily have sold a dozen boys).

My first litter was 7 boys, they were all spoken for before 6 weeks.

I voted boys.

Thanks to all Breeders who replied & participated in the poll. :thumbsup:

Looks like the majority are with me in saying Bitch puppies seem to be more highly in demand.

I also agree that you usually get enquiries for the sex you have least of. With my last litter we had 6 boys & 2 girls,& we could have sold the female puppies 20 times over. :D

This time my pups aren't even born yet & I've already got more people on my list wanting a girl than a boy..It will just be our luck my bitch will have a whole litter of Males. :hug:

I'm hoping if this happens I can convert some of the people to getting a lovely boy as I do believe they can be trained to be clean inside. I have 2 entire males inside & neither of them cock their leg over everything....& males make such affectionate pets. :)

I thought I would also mention that I thought it was interesting that the results of this poll are very different to the results in my poll in General..where the preferred sex for a puppy where totally even for both Male & female. :p

I have a litter of lab puppies due in a few weeks and I have had preferences for sex and colour. This time most who have inquired want yellow girls, one wants a black girl and I finally have one inquiry for a black boy!

Last litter over a year ago, I had the majority of inquires for yellow boys! You just can't seem to pick it with labs!