Another 'suggest A Breed' Thread

luffy4688

Long story short, I have a friend who's after a puppy. Her preferences/situation are:

1. Low shedding.

2. Small/Medium size.

3. Suitable for a 1st dog owner.

4. About 30-60 minutes exercise daily bout would be able to cope with the occasional day without.

5. Would be alone for up to 6-7 hours a couple of days a week.

That's all I can think of for now. If there's anything else that might help shortlist the breeds down, let me know. :rofl:

I second a Mini Poodle, I have 2 of them and they are great.

They are happy to do whatever you do. If I want a lazy day around the house, they will cuddle up with me. If I want to go for a run they are happy to come too.

Grooming isn't as bad as people think, I strip mine off all over but leave the ears and tail, requires minimal brushing in between clips (as long as you clip regularly, every 5-6 weeks)

Yep a Whippet sounds like it would fit that.

They shed little and if they are going through a coat change i just give mine a good going over with a Zoom groom. No doggy smell, like a good walk/run but can cope a day if they don't get one here and there.

Bitches around 11kgs, dogs around 14 to 15 kgs.

Frenchies don't need a lot of exercise and dont really shed :cry: They do need to learn to be by themselves from the beginning though and as an owner you have to be aware that they have are sensitive to heat and can't swim very well.

I think most of the terrier breeds are lowish shedding but many are very active

What about a Shih Tzu or pug , I think they are more "laid back" than terriers.

Pugs shed alot!!! but are really laid back (especially the boys)

Edited by SammieS

How about a bulldog? I've never owned one, but the ones I've met seem pretty laid back & don't seem to need much exercise. Not sure about the shedding, though.

Ive heard bulldogs can be very hard headed might be a bit hard for a first timer :cry:

Long story short, I have a friend who's after a puppy. Her preferences/situation are:

1. Low shedding.

2. Small/Medium size.

3. Suitable for a 1st dog owner.

4. About 30-60 minutes exercise daily bout would be able to cope with the occasional day without.

5. Would be alone for up to 6-7 hours a couple of days a week.

That's all I can think of for now. If there's anything else that might help shortlist the breeds down, let me know. :cry:

Australian terriers seem to tick all their boxes, they have a very low shedding easy to maintain coat...are small in size, have charming , happy temperments with personality plus!! & love to please their owners & are very intelligent..very trainable, great with kids & make excellent family dogs..so IMO good for a 1st time owner. :cry:

They are energetic, but 30 to 60 minutes excercise would be sufficient for them,but on occasion when they can not be walked they will forgive you if you give them game of fetch or simlar in the home, or a training session, or maybe a trip somewhere in the car.

They also do well with most dog sports too..If that is somthing your friend is interested in.

Having said that...they also don't mind down time too & are equally happy to curl up on your lap & watch tv with you. :cry:

They will be alright being left alone aslong as they have toys or a meaty bone to occupy them.

They are also a very robust healthy breed & have a life span of 12 to 15 years, but I known some of them to live into their late teens. :cry:

my mini schnauzer would easily slot into a home like that. smart, easy to train, not too hard grooming, though they do need grooming and clipping. as long as they take it to training i'm sure a first dog owner would easily be able to cope with the gentle spunk that a schnauzer offers.

plus they have a manly beard and moustache. if you haven't been kissed by a beard, you haven't been kissed by a real dog!! :(

My mum described the Aussie Terrier as a "self exercising house dog". Ours would do high speed laps up the lounge, through the dining room, up the hall back to the lounge room door and around and around, for about three laps, that was usually enough.

I'd recommend a bedlington terrier. Medium, non/low shedding (would need clipping), happy to go for a walk around the paddocks or be a couch potato.

Inside or outside dog?

Do they want a calm dog, an independent dog, a people focused dog? What sort of character are they looking for?

Will the dog receive any formal training or be taken to dog parks?

Is its ability to get on with other dogs important.

Is control offlead important?

Lots more factors to consider than size and coat type.

Inside or outside dog?

Inside and outside dog.

Do they want a calm dog, an independent dog, a people focused dog? What sort of character are they looking for?

A dog that is generally friendly with most dogs/people. A calm and more people focused dog would be preferred.

The dog will be taught basic commands like 'sit' etc. As far as obedience classes are concerned, she still needs convincing. Dog parks yes, maybe once or twice a week.

Yes

Walks would generally be on lead, occasionally offleash romp at the park.

Hope that helps poodlefan. :(

Edited by luffy4688

Inside or outside dog?

Inside and outside dog.

A dog that is generally friendly with most dogs/people. A calm and more people focused dog would be preferred.

The dog will be taught basic commands like 'sit' etc. As far as obedience classes are concerned, she still needs convincing. Dog parks yes, maybe once or twice a week.

Yes

Hope that helps poodlefan. :(

Calm and people focussed. Hmmm Pity the hair issue might rule out a CKCS.

Inside or outside dog?

Inside and outside dog.

Yes

Hope that helps poodlefan. :)

Calm and people focussed. Hmmm Pity the hair issue might rule out a CKCS.

I was thinking about a CKCS. But didn't know how much it shed. She was initially thinking of a pug, until I told her pug sheds ALOT. :(