5 Metre Lead Wanted

or similar. does anyone have one they want to sell?

I want it to teach my boy accurate recalls but the ones i have seen are really expensive and I hope not to have to use it for long.

or any other suggestions more than welcome.

thank you1

Edited by onsntillnflash

I got my 5 metre lead for tracking from the horse shop (horseland) in town, it was only $12 which I thought was a great price. It's good quality and has a good clip on it. Do you have a horse shop nearby you could try?

ons - is this for puppy? For formal recalls?

I have dispensed with leads in training Em. I just shaped a formal front, starting sitting down. Stood up. Moved around. Kept proofing. Next thing you know she's doing formal recalls. Keeps it light and fun too :cheer:

no it's not for Latte the puppy. she comes instantly to me when I call her! she is a good girl sometimes.

It's for Onslow my large golden retreiver, whilst he does come when called he will go past me :winner: so I thought if I got a lead I could train him to come and sit in front of me.

I'm mad but I'm training both Ons and Latte for their CCD in September.

thanks so much for everyone's advice, I didn't even think about going to a horse shop. Living near Tamworth there's masses around so I see a visit taking place - thank you!

I think what has happened with Ons is that he is always very careful not to bump into people. He realises that he is a big boy and so running towards me he skirts me but then unfortunately he does not stop. the first time at training he ran to other dogs and was easy to catch, and the next time i realised what he was about to do and grabbed his collar and directed him to sit in front of me. I just think with a lead that I can "reel" him in and make him sit in front of me and he will learn quickly that way.

Miss Latte's sit stays aren't that strong yet so she is held until I call her. but then she comes bounding in to me at full speed and tries to jump into my arms. at this stage I'm not discouraging that but in a couple of weeks I will start to teach her to sit in front of me :winner:

I think what has happened with Ons is that he is always very careful not to bump into people. He realises that he is a big boy and so running towards me he skirts me but then unfortunately he does not stop. the first time at training he ran to other dogs and was easy to catch, and the next time i realised what he was about to do and grabbed his collar and directed him to sit in front of me. I just think with a lead that I can "reel" him in and make him sit in front of me and he will learn quickly that way.

Miss Latte's sit stays aren't that strong yet so she is held until I call her. but then she comes bounding in to me at full speed and tries to jump into my arms. at this stage I'm not discouraging that but in a couple of weeks I will start to teach her to sit in front of me :cheer:

Hi Onsntillnflash, have you tried standing with your back against a solid object (fence, wall etc) I found the lunge lead didnt work with my boy, it was sujested to me about a wall of some kind, this worked for me, I had to it a couple of times & the message got through :winner: I make my own leads for the dogs & horses, I have a box full of webbing,

Lewis did that once - still not sure why?? I recall him standing up against the ringlock fence so he could see through it but couldn't go past me. He hasn't done it since thank goodness.

The thing I find hard about using a lead for that is you hold onto the end near you. Now to use the lead to stop him running past you eitehr have to reel it in when he is recalling - very messy and distracting - or grab it as close as you can to him, but by then he has already turned away from you and you are just reeling him in.

I would go the leadless option and get creative about where you do your recalls, highly reinforce coming to you etc. Once i was glad Lewis did decide to go past me very slightly and then he did come infront, but he was going that fast my knees were in real danger (think Whippet at not far off top speed on a nice looong recall!), I braced for the impact but he did go just to one side. Since then has has learnt to start shifting his weight back a bit sooner so he can stop and I shorthened up his recalls a little until he learnt to control his speed!

I would go the leadless option and get creative about where you do your recalls, highly reinforce coming to you etc. Once i was glad Lewis did decide to go past me very slightly and then he did come infront, but he was going that fast my knees were in real danger (think Whippet at not far off top speed on a nice looong recall!), I braced for the impact but he did go just to one side. Since then has has learnt to start shifting his weight back a bit sooner so he can stop and I shorthened up his recalls a little until he learnt to control his speed!

:cry: I know that feeling of your baby comming at you at 100k's a second, Orlando has done that, he put one judge into stitches of laughter, he flew passed me, realised, spun round on his back legs came back & sat beside me with the look of " I did well mum, didn't I " :laugh: he has learnt to control his speed now on recall. No matter the distance we do on recall.

Like everything we do PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE