Not Feeding Your Dog One Day A Week

jacqui835

Several people have now told me that they don't feed their dogs (or know of people who employ that strategy) 1 or 2 days a week. They say this results in extremely well-behaved dogs. I've heard it so many times now I've become curious. Does it really make them behave better? And does it have any health impacts?

I don't think it would harm them, but I don't see how it would improve their behaviour? Unless they are talking specifically about deprivation training where food is with held to increase the dogs drive for it and make them work harder to get it?

I don't think it would harm them, but I don't see how it would improve their behaviour? Unless they are talking specifically about deprivation training where food is with held to increase the dogs drive for it and make them work harder to get it?

I assumed they meant because the dog becomes more appreciative and doesn't have such a sense of self-entitlement. That was the reason I started considering it, because my dog has a serious sense of entitlement...

I assumed they meant because the dog becomes more appreciative and doesn't have such a sense of self-entitlement. That was the reason I started considering it, because my dog has a serious sense of entitlement...

They have to learn this ["sense of entitlement"] somehow. Persephone's suggestion would probably lead to a better outcome. No doubt they will appreciate the food more if they are hungry, but I doubt they will link this with the behaviours you want to change unless you make them work for it.

People who feed "Natural Rearing" (de Bairacli Levy's book of the same name) have a fast day. It is based on the idea that wild dogs will have days without any food and it's better for their system to have a fast day.

Never heard of it as a training tool... I guess they'd be more eager to work for food after a fast day.

I don't do this purposely but Charlie often only eat 5 or 6 days a week depending on how much exercise he gets (he only gets one meal a day too).

I don't think it harms them missing a meal or two.

He does work for all of his food in that we make him sit, wait and look at us, and he's very good at this. I could throw raw meat at him and he'd leave it if we told him to. It's hard to explain what I mean so I won't try just now. I was just curious as to whether anyone had any success with this particular approach, since so many talk about it.

I've never heard of it as a general behavioural tool. I have heard of it as way to improve a dog's food drive in training, the same way some people deprive their dog of attention outside of training or trailling so they have a more intense focus on the trainer.

I've also heard of it as a dietary measure, part of a prey model diet - for the reasons Kirislin mentioned.

Did they mean don't feed the dog on training days? Usually if you attend an obedience class/club that uses training treats they recommend you don't feed your dog as they pay more attention because it is hungry ...

My boys get a random no food day ... but it isn't always once a week. It is usually just the days I decide to have a sleep in and can't be bothered getting up to feed them.

I don't think it changes how obedient they are ... but they rush to their eating areas and snap into a beautiful sit when they see I have food bowls in my hands.

Edited by Tilly

30 odd years ago whenI first moved to the country it was practice for farmers to give their dogs, food free days. Mainly I think because fat working dogs don't have staminar, and can actually die if they are too fat and doing hard days work.

Having said that I don't think it is common practice now, I know with my hubby's working dogs are fed everyday, and most others around this area are the same. Just don't hear of it much.

Although when I first started showing I was told not to feed my dog before the show, keep him keen for treats.

Mine get fed every day. They are fed in the evening so if I am training or competing (I use food rewards) they don't get fed until after that.

Same here Kavik.

If mine have worked particularly well and consumed a lot of treats or a jackpot, their evening meal might be adjusted accordingly. They always get a 4 x 2 for breakfast regardless.

If I had a different type of dog, I may consider other approaches, but currently lack of drive is not an issue.

S

I used to do this 30 years ago but for some reasons my dogs today get fed every day??? Probably just part of my routine I guess. I think it does do them good to 'fast' now and then. It gives their insides a chance to clean out.

Questions:

1. What does hunger "teach" a dog?

2. Unless you only train one day a week, why would fasting one day a week promote training?

I understand the "equating natural feeding pattern" argument but using fasting as an effective training strategy sure defeats me. :p

Edited by poodlefan

I fast occasionally, more so if they had a big meal day the day before. I think it's healthy and natural, and the dogs don't really seem to care.

However, I would never expect this to just create better behaviour in dogs. Perhaps for increasing food drive for training sessions, yes, but fasting itself is not going to procure a behaviour change.