Over The Top Dog Wedding

Panto

I could think of many other useful ways to spend this money, but perhaps just a publicity stunt for her doggy business...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-...et-wedding.html

Barking! Dog owner spends £20,000 on Britain's most expensive pet wedding

By Andrew Levy

Last updated at 12:43 AM on 7th April 2011

Comments (141) Add to My Stories

The bride wore a white dress decorated with 1,800 Swarovski crystals and accessorised with a pearl necklace.

And as she trotted into the room to the wedding march, played by a harpist, she was met by the groom, smartly dressed in a tuxedo.

Afterwards, 80 guests enjoyed a sumptuous buffet in a marquee adorned with £4,000 of flowers, balloons and decorations.

Louise Harris, left, with Bev Nicholson and Chinese Crested Mugly, right, threw a wedding for her pet terrier Lola after running a competition on Facebook to find a suitor

But this was no ordinary wedding. The happy couple were two pampered dogs who were married in a ceremony in the grounds of a mansion in Bradwell-on-Sea, Essex, costing an extraordinary £20,000.

The event was planned by the bride’s owner, Louise Harris, 32, who dotes on six-year-old Yorkshire Terrier Lola and wanted to find her a partner to stop her getting lonely.

‘I wanted Lola to have the perfect day,’ said Miss Harris, who owns a dog boutique and grooming parlour near her two-bedroom flat in Chelmsford.

Confetti canines: The dogs were married on the grounds of a mansion in Bradwell-on-Sea, Essex, costing £2,500 for the venue alone

‘It was meant to be a relatively small affair with 30 guests but the list just kept getting bigger and bigger because I didn’t want to leave anyone out – just like most weddings, I guess.

‘The day was perfect from start to finish and Lola loved being the centre of attention all day.’

Miss Harris ran an online competition to find the perfect partner for Lola, as the dog’s younger siblings Lulu, four, and Larry, two, are very close and often ignore her.

She received hundreds of responses, whittled them down to a shortlist of six, and after a series of meetings found Lola’s favourite was Mugly – a Chinese crested dog who was voted Britain’s ugliest hound in 2005.

Pampered pooch: Aside from Lola's wedding, Louise, pictured giving the speech, estimates she has spent a minimum of £101,680 on her three pets in the last six years

For the couple’s first date, Miss Harris took Lola to visit Mugly and his owner, mother-of-four Bev Nicholson from Eastfield, Peterborough.

Miss Harris said: ‘They do say opposites attract and they played happily together all day. I thought he was the perfect husband for Lola.’ Next came three months of preparation – with the help of a wedding planner – before the ceremony and reception in September.

Lola’s £1,000 dress was created by dog clothes designer Michele Ochs. It was accompanied by Swarovski leg cuffs costing £250 and a £350 crystal lead.

Extras: Lulu acted as Lola's bridesmaid in a £100 dress by Latimer Couture, complete a £200 Swarovski crystal necklace and £150 head dress and Larry was page boy wearing a £100 tux

Lulu was bridesmaid in a £100 dress and a £200 Swarovski crystal necklace, while Larry wore a £100 tuxedo in his role as page boy.

Mugly, meanwhile, got his more modest outfit from auction site eBay.

After the ceremony, dog and human food was laid on, including a six-foot chocolate fountain, and the dogs’ owners made speeches wishing the happy couple good luck for the future.

Despite the bond between the two pets, Miss Harris revealed they will have to learn to cope with a long-distance relationship as Mugly still lives with his owner and only gets to see Lola once a month.

Lola wore a £1,000 wedding dress, made by dog clothes designer Michele Ochs, who created all the outfits in the Beverly Hills Chihuahua film, customised with 1,800 Swarovski crystals by Latimer Couture

‘Mugly is always sending Lola gifts and pictures of himself to make up for the times they are apart,’ said Miss Harris. ‘He sends her little presents.’

PAMPERED POOCH BILLVenue

£2,500

Jewellery

£1,350

Dog outfits

£1,200

Food for human food

£2,500

Food for dogs

£500

Car hire of Bentley

£500

Dancers

£500

Make up artist

£200

Hairdresser

£200

Dog groomers

£200

Photographers

£500

Louise's outfits

£600

Favours

£500

Drinks

£600

Dog creche including doggy gifts

£1,000

Gifts

£1,500

Flowers

£1,000

Designers to decorate the marquee

£3,000

Chocolate fountain

£300

Cupcake tower

£200

Security

£400

Wedding planner

£400

Music hire

£400

TOTAL

£20,150

Miss Harris estimates she has spent more than £100,000 on her three dogs over the last six years, including £26,000 on clothes, collars and harnesses and £16,000 on a nanny when she is at work.

The dogs’ extravagant lifestyles have attracted so much curiosity that they will be featured on a Sky One programme, A Different Breed, next year.

Miss Harris, who is single, added: ‘A lot of people think I’m mad, and I realise it’s completely over the top, but I want to give them the best life I possibly can.

'I'm still exhausted after all the work I put in to Lola's wedding!

'It was a great day and we had a great time but I don't want to do it again again time soon, so Lulu and Larry best not get any ideas!

'My dogs are well cared for and are spoilt with love as well as presents so I don't see anything wrong with spending so much on them.'

Every Friday Louise takes her dogs to have their personal weekly massages and deep coat conditioning treatments at Diva Dogs which has amounted to a whopping £14,560.

She has also spent £6,000 on beds and blankets, including custom made beds complete with initials in gold leaf and one with ostrich feather and finest faux fur, and cashmere blankets and pillows.

Each dog has their own ornate iron bowl costing a total of £800, steps worth £720 to allow them to get onto sofas, £8,000 worth of pet carriers, and £2,500 worth of hair accessories including two custom made tiaras with genuine pearls and Swarovski crystals costing £400 and £300.

She has also spent £4,500 just on Burns holistic food, £5,000 on dog insurance, £2,000 on photography and £3,000 on an oil painting.

The dogs have also been treated to £8,000 of toys and treats and £5,000 spent on their birthday parties complete with birthday cakes costing £60 each.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-...l#ixzz1InXHiWpj

Personally I've never understood the whole "animal wedding" thing. I'm pretty sure the dogs have no idea what the bru-ha-ha was about let alone understand the concept of marriage themselves. It's a huge waste of money but then again, some people do have more money than sense!

And if they really wanted to do something for their special pets, why not donate the money to a worthy cause in the dogs' names instead?

I think its ridiculous. I can think of much better uses for that sort of money.

Sounds like harmless (if expensive) fun to me. People spend way more than that on hobbies.

At least there's no pretense that this is anything other than having found her dog a friend.

They obviously have more money than sense. I know it's theirs to do with it what they want, but for heavens sake, These are dogs we are talking about. I don't celebrate my boy's birthdays. Does that make me a bad owner, and does that mean I love them any less?

Miss Harris, who is single, added: ‘A lot of people think I’m mad, and I realise it’s completely over the top, but I want to give them the best life I possibly can.

Sounds like she's living through her dogs. Doesn't sound like 'the best life possible' for a dog to me but more like some little girls fantasy.

Sounds like she's living through her dogs. Doesn't sound like 'the best life possible' for a dog to me but more like some little girls fantasy.

Exactly. I can't believe that a dog values this type of thing in any way whatsoever. So far as I can see a "good life" for a dog is made up of more basic things like exercise, good food, appropriate medical care, companionship, leadership, & mental stimulation.

I understand people spend money on all sorts of strange things and I'm sure she's not the strangest out there, but if she really is a dog lover, there are plenty of ways to spend the money that her dog (or other dogs) would actually sincerely appreciate.

I think the owner just wanted 15 minutes of fame for herself and didn't have anything else to offer the world but an expensive dog wedding. When she put her make up on she should've drawn a big L on her forehead at the same time. Horrible waste of money.

I think its ridiculous. I can think of much better uses for that sort of money.

Sounds like harmless (if expensive) fun to me. People spend way more than that on hobbies.

At least there's no pretense that this is anything other than having found her dog a friend.

I agree, its harmless (expensive) fun.

I would hate for someone to tally up the money I have spent on my 5 dogs over the last 8 years :shrug:

I think the owner just wanted 15 minutes of fame for herself and didn't have anything else to offer the world but an expensive dog wedding. When she put her make up on she should've drawn a big L on her forehead at the same time. Horrible waste of money.

Does the 'L' stand for loser, PS? I'd be even more unkind and suggest "FW" for her forehead. A terrible waste of money when there are people and, indeed, animals living in appalling circumstances, particularly Japan, as Dogmad pointed out.

I think the owner just wanted 15 minutes of fame for herself and didn't have anything else to offer the world but an expensive dog A terrible waste of money when there are people and, indeed, animals living in appalling circumstances, particularly Japan, as Dogmad pointed out.

Folk might like price the average cost of a Japanese wedding. ;)

It was her money :shrug:

What are people really objecting to? The fact that someone can afford to indulge themselves to the tune of 20,000 pounds or the fact that they spent it on their dog?

Would it be less objectionable if she'd bought herself a cruise on the Queen Mary or bought a nicer home?

Edited by poodlefan

I think the owner just wanted 15 minutes of fame for herself and didn't have anything else to offer the world but an expensive dog A terrible waste of money when there are people and, indeed, animals living in appalling circumstances, particularly Japan, as Dogmad pointed out.

Folk might like price the average cost of a Japanese wedding. ;)

It was her money :shrug:

What are people really objecting to? The fact that someone can afford to indulge themselves to the tune of 20,000 pounds or the fact that they spent it on their dog?

Would it be less objectionable if she'd bought herself a cruise on the Queen Mary or bought a nicer home?

The quote you are wholly attributing to me is only half mine, Poodlefan. But in any event, I object to stupid displays of extravagance.

The quote you are wholly attributing to me is only half mine, Poodlefan. But in any event, I object to stupid displays of extravagance.

Most wedding receptions are stupid displays of extravagance. :laugh:

But each to their own, I object to animal cruelty and things like that, I can't see the point in getting upset about or objecting to another person's joyful celebration.

Most wedding receptions are stupid displays of extravagance. :laugh:

But each to their own, I object to animal cruelty and things like that, I can't see the point in getting upset about or objecting to another person's joyful celebration.

Agreed. I can understand how people would think it was silly.. but condeming something and dishing out the insults for something that isn't hurting anyone seems a bit strong to me. :eek:

Whatever :thumbsup: I'm sure the subject of the article doesn't give a toss.

I tend to find this sort of thing obscene when there are animals and owners homeless in Japan and many animals suffering across the world.

Whilst I agree, spending this amount of money on a dog wedding is outragrous, does it really matter? If they have so much money and this is what they choose to do with it, it shouldn't matter. :laugh:

I don't know why someone with loads of money is made to feel guilty for not donating to charity. It's their money, and they can do with it as they please.

I'm not just referring to this particular display of extravagance, many more. Time and time again I hear people bad mouthing others for spending THEIR money on whatever they want, instead of donating it. If they want to donate, great, if not, they should be left alone.

/rant