Why Do Dogs Go Crazy After Having A Bath?

jacqui835

Unfortunately our dog managed to get himself absolutely filthy today - it was almost impressive really... But anyway, we rushed him home and threw him straight into the shower (him and the bf actually lol) and 10mins later he was looking his beautiful self again. As soon as he was done though, he went absolutely ballistic and took off at full speed around the house. It was quite a sight to behold - typically we wash him away from home because he's really too large to fit in the shower so I haven't seen him do this in our home since he was about 5 months old.

Dan was asking me why he seems to go so crazy, and I just had no idea but I remember that all of my dogs have been the same. Does anyone know why they do it?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe they're going "ahhh, that feels better!!"

My dogs do the same, especially Millie. She tears off in crazy mode so now I wash them both in the bathroom (one at a time) in the enclosed shower, and I dried Millie in there too, then left her in the bathroom with the door closed for another 5 minutes to calm down a bit before I let her into the rest of the house. Seemed to do the trick!! When I used to bath the dogs in the backyard in the clam shell pool, they'd take off and run in the dirt while still wet! Love the shower solution now :(

I have a very large bruise coming up on my below/ back of arm from post bath zoomies - I did not move quick enough and got clobbered by 65kg of dog as he raced around the corner of the house :(

I have nice grassy lawns except at the ends of the race track and at the corner of the house...

Don't know why, but it's pretty funny.

It is, but it's just such a bizarre reaction. I was thinking maybe they worry that they're going to drown or something, and then celebrate being alive? lol I really have no idea hey

I always thought it was to release the stress/tension of having a bath? But I really have no idea. My dogs are well behaved and calm for baths, but they just tolerate it - it's not their favourite activity. Mine carry on like pork chops after a bath too. And then they settle down for a nice groom.

Unfortunately our dog managed to get himself absolutely filthy today - it was almost impressive really... But anyway, we rushed him home and threw him straight into the shower (him and the bf actually lol) and 10mins later he was looking his beautiful self again. As soon as he was done though, he went absolutely ballistic and took off at full speed around the house. It was quite a sight to behold - typically we wash him away from home because he's really too large to fit in the shower so I haven't seen him do this in our home since he was about 5 months old.

Dan was asking me why he seems to go so crazy, and I just had no idea but I remember that all of my dogs have been the same. Does anyone know why they do it?

My dog does the same. I love seeing him rip through the house. Makes me laugh! Speaking of which, bath time due again.... :laugh:

Emmy does this too!! Completely goes insane..

I think Emmy does it because she's not use of standing still for more than 2 minutes and she is enjoying and celebrating her freedom :laugh:

Charlie usually goes to his bed after a bath.

Edited by CW EW