As Breeders, Do You Charge More For Main Register Pups?

saradale

Hi there, I was just wondering the general opinion on pricing of puppies... main vs limited register... and whether you charge more.

As a breeder, I'm on the search for a Main Reg pup and have so far been quoted up to 50% more to have a pup on Main Register.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My main register pups are free - they must be/are co-owned.

What are the conditions of your co-owned pups (in brief)??

Is this for the life of the dog, or does ownership transfer to new owner after you have a litter or two, etc.

My main register pups are free - they must be/are co-owned.

What are the conditions of your co-owned pups (in brief)??

Is this for the life of the dog, or does ownership transfer to new owner after you have a litter or two, etc.

Dog - I pay health testing fees (Hips/Elbows/Heart/Thyroid), I can use at stud for free on bitches owned by me - if outside bitch they get the fee.

When de-sexed I sign it over.

Bitch - I pay health testing fees (Hips/Elbows/Heart/Thyroid), I can have 2 litters from her - I pay all breeding costs.

When de-sexed I sign it over.

What breed are you looking for Saradale?

I have border collies. And as is happens, the best dog from this particular litter is coloured, and are from bloodlines I've been trying to get hold of for ages. I unfortunately have a gut feeling that the colour is influencing the inflated price as well as the fact it is MR.

I have border collies. And as is happens, the best dog from this particular litter is coloured, and are from bloodlines I've been trying to get hold of for ages. I unfortunately have a gut feeling that the colour is influencing the inflated price as well as the fact it is MR.

I don't think it's fair to charge extra because of color, they cost the same to feed/raise/register etc.

Paying extra for quality is ok, we do that everyday with cars/tvs/houses etc.

I personally don't know any reputable, dedicated breeder of Border Collies that charges more for Main Register or for colour so I would be wary of this breeder. Main often go in co-ownership so the dog cannot be onsold but other than that restriction all puppies are usually the same price. It is so hard to get anyone new to show a Border because the numbers in the breed make it very hard for a newby to win anything at all so breeders definitely don't charge more for a show prospect than a limit register pet. Some of the top breeders even give their main register puppies to established show homes to get them in the ring and only charge for those on limit.

If the puppy is more than $1000 then they are charging too much.

Edited by dancinbcs

Oh come on. If one colour doesnt sell as easily as another and is in less demand why would a breeder be so terrible if they sold one colour at one price and another higher or lower ?

I sell my main register pups for a higher price than the limited register pups because I do a hell of a lot more work with the owners of main register dogs and you have to consider more things in a guarantee. there are lots of things which can turn up which dont impact on the dog's ability to reproduce than there are on its suitability as a pet.

I don't see the reason behind charging more for a main register pup and for me one price fits all. Colour, sex, breed. In the end each pup in the litter should cost you the same to raise from birth to sale.

I would think that by charging more you are saying you guarantee that pup is going to do well in the ring and I know just about every breeder states in their contracts that they don't guarantee the dog will be successful. Also by charging more for your main register pups prospective puppy buyers feel that a limit register pup is of lesser quality. And I have had several puppy buyers query the reasoning behind two prices.

These are just my thoughts on it.

I have paid more for a main reg pup and won't be doing that again as it hasn't lived up to expectations and I am left with a very expensive pet.

I charge the same for each in the litter.

Steve, if you sold a main reg pup to an experience show/breeder you wouldn't need to spend extra time with them, so would you still charge them more?

All my pups take the same amount of work in the original planning and then care and raising, so I have never charged more for a fully registered dog versus a pet, nor has colour played into my prices (I had two chocolates born in a litter and could have tripled the price but didn't)

My fully registered pups go as co owns. The bitches, I ask for one pup back on either their first or second litter bred to a stud we agree upon. Most times, I never take back actually but it's in the contract that I have the option to refuse. The boys I can use on my own if I choose, and again, seldom happens really but the option is there for me. Co Ownership remains in most cases for the life of the dog/bitch. For me, this helps build the relationship with the new person, however established breeders don't have this rule and often I co own until titled and then sign off.

It sounds restrictive and tough, but it's really not. I've done this with many in the past with great success.

Oh come on. If one colour doesnt sell as easily as another and is in less demand why would a breeder be so terrible if they sold one colour at one price and another higher or lower ?

I believe that will encourage some breeders to breed for colour only, as they know they can sell them for me.

Just look at the "rare" blue Stafford.