Dna Testing For Dogs (pics Added)

MuckyPug

Muckypug has sent me through the pics to post (I was no help explaining though :thumbsup: so this was a little easier!). This is as big as I could get them :cry:

Great pics of Max....once you cross a pug with another breed the first thing ya lose is the noseroll. But this would account for his submissiveness in the other thread....mine would not let 3 big dogs stand over them without a huge arguement. He is lovely and loved by his family.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's not important, by no means meant to imply that it was. It is purely curiosity. As I said, he is a pound puppy who has us guessing, and as his owners we are just interested. When we take him out, it's endless ... "oh, what a lovely pug .. oh hang on, he's very big for a pug - what is he". I suppose we would just like to be able, with certainty to say "he's a ......"

He's still lovely - won't make any difference to us what he is, we are just interested to know :)

The DNA test will not help you with knowing anything for certain.

Most likely all it will do is throw another breed into the mix and increase your uncertainty.

Muckypug has sent me through the pics to post (I was no help explaining though :) so this was a little easier!). This is as big as I could get them :p

Great pics of Max....once you cross a pug with another breed the first thing ya lose is the noseroll. But this would account for his submissiveness in the other thread....mine would not let 3 big dogs stand over them without a huge arguement. He is lovely and loved by his family.

That doesn't really mean anything.....a typical breed temperament is not carried across all dogs of the breed.

*sigh* we'll never know, will we.

It won't make us love him any less or more (because that's just not possible!), we aren't breeding from him (he's desexed), we aren't worried about genetic disease (we'll cross all bridges if or when we meet them) - we are just SO intrigued as to his 'heritage'.

He has SO many pug traits. He sounds like a pug. He's stubborn like a pug. Put him into a gaggle of pugs and you really have to search him out - he blends.

BUT WHAT IS THE OTHER BIT OF HIM (or bits!!)

LuvLottie - THANK YOU for the time you took to help me, I really appreciate it :)

Beagle is something we didn't think of. We've thought staffy, we've thought bulldog of some variety.

Obviously vets aren't good at placing the breed because he's been to 3 different vets and they've all said 100% pug ??????

Vets wouldn't have a clue. Not one vet has ever picked the correct breed of my dogs. Most of them think they are border collies, and one thought Benson was a collie cross.

He looks like a crossbreed to me, with lots of his heritage from pugs but not all. My best guess would also be beagle.

I would think he is possibly a Pug X Pug/Beagle.

They can sometimes reasonably strongly take after one of the breeds, but he definately has something else. What sort of height/ weight is he?

From personal experience most Vets are not breed savvy and wouldn't know what many breeds are.

It is almost impossible to say what other breed is in them in my view.

If I knew how to email pics from my FB page from my iPhone I would show you a good selection of cross bred Pugs that have been associated with or come through my rescue. I have managed to locate a couple of pics on my pc though.

In most cases, it is impossible to figure out what is actually in them apart from Pug although there are a few things that I have found over the years; The tail is an indicator at times. A bushy tail suggests that the other breed might be something like a Cav. A slim tail could be a Beagle. The dogs with Beagle tend to have a broader head too than Cavs and other breeds. Most of them though are really impossible to tell..... although all of the Pug x Maltese that I have seen are usually a bit like an ewok. :)

Pug x Unknown (she was too tall to be Cav but she did have "longish" hair and she had a bushy tail). This is Cookie.

post-3413-1303345930_thumb.jpg

Pug x Tibbie. This is Charlie.

post-3413-1303346047_thumb.jpg

Pug x Cav. This is Simba.

post-3413-1303346156_thumb.jpg

Muckypug has sent me through the pics to post (I was no help explaining though :p so this was a little easier!). This is as big as I could get them :)

That doesn't really mean anything.....a typical breed temperament is not carried across all dogs of the breed.

True. I have had many purebred Pugs, papered, who are submissive. Breed traits may play a part, but so does their personality traits. Some are simply more dominant and 'brave' whilst others are more timid or submissive.

Edited by ~Anne~

Just came across this one - but what a mixture: Pug X French Bulldog/Pugalier Puppy with the rip off price tag to go with it. It's anyone's guess to what this will mature like - just a bit of thought to other possibilities to what else could be in Max.

Resized640x480_Pug%20x%20French%20Bulldog%20x%20Pugalier%20347554.JPG

edited: spelling ;)

Edited by Andisa

He's cute though!! that's what matters ;)

For the record i did a bitsa test on my rescue dog. He is a short coated (though not as short as a stafford) blackish bull breedy looking cross breed but with a longer more pointy nose (see pic in my avatar) and not as short or stocky as a purebred SBT and obviously the ears are much bigger as is his tail. He also has no brindling.

Mine came back secondary stafford, secondary border collie ie his grandparents.

I had thought stafford x kelpie, but I pretty much knew from his behaviour that he had some working dog in him.

So I pretty much got what I expected, no real surprises in what came back, though I know some people have had some shockers from the BITSA.

Edited by Quickasyoucan