I Lost 2 Dogs Today

Remarkabull

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are all ok, still in shock to some degree and still asking ourselves how and why this happened (I know we will never have the answers to that but it's hard to stop wanting to know). I am feeling very tired and drained and am always thinking about little Odie and how we keep expecting him to come bouncing around the corner with his ball and hopping up on our laps for a kiss and cuddle. He was an amazing little dog and we were very lucky to have him. I can only hope he is waiting for me somewhere and we can all get Odie kisses once more.

Jazz was a very loving and affectionate dog with people and we still love her and will miss her so much but I do have 3 other dogs, 2 of which are small breeds (under 7kg) and 3 cats and I could never again trust her. Jazz had attacked other small dogs in the past (never our own though) and given what happened and her past behaviour there is no way I would have re homed her. What if she did it again?

Thank you all for your kind thoughts (for those of you who had them)

RIP Odie and Jazz, I love you both and will miss you more than words can say.

post-35373-1303863108_thumb.jpg

post-35373-1303863117_thumb.jpg

So sorry to hear this Dobesrock, they both look beautiful. Thinking of you all.

Sorry, the Dobe in the first pic is Acheron, he is still with us. He was one of Odies favorite playmates. I will put a pic of Jazz up later, they are all on my Desktop computer which is currently not working.

Sorry, the Dobe in the first pic is Acheron, he is still with us. He was one of Odies favorite playmates. I will put a pic of Jazz up later, they are all on my Desktop computer which is currently not working.

Great name (and gorgeous dog). Gee you love your mythology, dont you

We are all ok, still in shock to some degree and still asking ourselves how and why this happened (I know we will never have the answers to that but it's hard to stop wanting to know). I am feeling very tired and drained and am always thinking about little Odie and how we keep expecting him to come bouncing around the corner with his ball and hopping up on our laps for a kiss and cuddle. He was an amazing little dog and we were very lucky to have him. I can only hope he is waiting for me somewhere and we can all get Odie kisses once more.

Jazz was a very loving and affectionate dog with people and we still love her and will miss her so much but I do have 3 other dogs, 2 of which are small breeds (under 7kg) and 3 cats and I could never again trust her. Jazz had attacked other small dogs in the past (never our own though) and given what happened and her past behaviour there is no way I would have re homed her. What if she did it again?

Thank you all for your kind thoughts (for those of you who had them)

RIP Odie and Jazz, I love you both and will miss you more than words can say.

post-35373-1303863108_thumb.jpg

post-35373-1303863117_thumb.jpg

Odie is gorgeous. Again sorry for your losses.

I hope you do not take to heart what others have said. Your reasoning is sound, you needed to protect your other dogs, rehoming Jazz would not have been the right thing to do.

Best wishes from me and my girls during this terrible time.

Dobesrock, I haven't read the whole 10 pages of this thread but I can see it went pear shaped by the last few comments. No one else lives your life and no one else can say what is right or wrong in your situation.

Hugs to you and your family, we have been in the same situation as you with a bitch that intentionally killed the puppy of another of our bitches that she did not get on with. She went to doG too, I would not rehome her and possibly put someone else through that grief, I took responsibility for the life of my dog, much as I loved her, I could never trust her again.

I hope that your kids can come to terms with it and you can all begin to think of the good times that you had with both dogs. Try not to hate Jazz for bringing this on you.

RIP Jazz and Odie.

dobesrock I lost my 9yr old shepherd a couple of months ago and I understand that feeling of expecting Odie to come bouncing around the corner at any time - they tell me time heals, and it does get easier. This is such a difficult time for you at the moment but I have found a lot of support in the Rainbow bridge thread - lots of sympathy and a place to share your grief with others who will understand your loss :thumbsup:

dobesrock I feel so much empathy for you and for what happened, and for what your family had to experience.

If my dog turned on one of my cats I don't know what I'd do. There's the whole inter-species thing but again there's that thing where I know, for a fact, I could never look at him or trust him the same way again.

Whatever my decision would be, I have nothing but respect for you for taking the responsibility and wearing the decision you made for your own dogs. You made it, you own it and you'll wear it and your grief and your heartache and the shock and the guilt and the 'what ifs' for a long time to come. Others may not understand but to me that's still a commitment to your animals and I admire you for keeping to it.

I'm sorry for your loss Dobesrock. You did what you had to do for yours and your family's peace of mind. I'm so very sorry you are going through this heartache.

In totally understand where Lilli and Joe K are coming from and I'm sure they have no intent to offend. There is a reason for what happened but the reason will probably remain a mystery.

These are dogs and they think and act as dogs do. There are things dogs do that we'll never understand.

Hey Dobesrock - have been thinking of you and your family :laugh:

Thanks for your update.....Im glad you have other dogs and cats in your family that can be there for you, as you will be missing Odie & Jazz :thumbsup:

Take it easy, ok!!

This situation is very sad and my condolance to the poster on this, but we needing to think the dog is the dog, they dont know the rules not to injure and kill like the humans, they fight to win is what they know when this happens and sometimes with small and big dog, the small dog can loose is life but doesnt mean the big dog is killer. If the big dog fighting dog is size, probably no one die, just a couple of injury we fixing easily.

Is hard on the emotional if a dog he kill another dog and in our ruling we say he must die too for what he done, but in the dog world is not working like this is different when big dog killing small dog is not like a serial axe murder, it happens from size mismatching on the fight should be in my opinion to look at before euthanising other dog in the revenge.

Joe

I do understand what you are saying, but I have to add that I know what Jazz was like when she attacked other dogs in the past (3 times over her 9 years). She wasn't just telling them off or trying to disipline them, she had every intention of killing them. I have no doubt in my mind that once in that state she had every intention of killing Odie, hence the decision to PTS. I never thought in a million years that she would do this to one of my own dogs. She had never shown serious aggression to any of them in the past and there had been no prior incidents to indicate that there was a problem between any of them.

You are right in that if it were Acheron that she had attacked then she would probably have come off second best and there would be some wounds to deal with but no death, however it didn't happen that way and although I still love her and will miss her terribly I could never trust her again, even if she was never allowed to interact with the little dogs again how would I know that she couldn't/wouldn't do the same thing if the opportunity arose either with my own dogs or someone elses?

A dog is a dog and maybe what happened is understandable for dogs behaviour but I am a human and I could not live with the chance that it may happen again, even if she spent eternity with the best trainer/behaviorist/bloody dog whisperer there ever was and was not a risk I was willing to take. The decision was made quickly and without doubt that it had to be done but it was certainly not done with any thoughts of 'revenge' against Jazz, it was for the safety of my other animals and for our peace of mind.

It is very easy for others to judge a predicament "after the fact" - we all, in hindsight, would probably do lots of things differently in regards to other aspects of our dogs lives but I commend you 100% for the actions you took at the time - we can only hope that the rest of us never have to be in that situation. We are all responsible for our dogs and sometimes we have to make hard decisions regarding the family as a whole - you can look at all the theory in the world but no-one else can walk in your shoes and only you know the history.

Big hugs to you and your family - my thoughts are with you.

I'm terribly sorry to read this Dobesrock.. RIP Odie & Jazz :)

Don't feel like you have to answer to anyone. You made the right decision for YOUR family no one else. You have clearly made decisions in the past to give her chances and she made it too close to home.

If you hadn't of made this decision people would have questioned why you hadn't put her to sleep. It's no bodies business other than your own.

xx

RIP Odie and Jazz :)

I am very sorry to hear of your loses.

I remember Odie from Kepala, and still have his photos on my laptop. He was a gorgeous, playful boy.

Odie had suck a good home with you, please don't think other wise.

The Pointers, Shaun and I send all our love, hugs and kisses.