Pet Insurance - Medibank Private Or Other?

ZaliGirl

HI there,

We are considering taking out pet insurance. I've looked at a few and liked how Medibank Private have a no excess option. Our pup has been diagnosed with HD so that obviously won't be covered but we have decided to manage it as she doesn't have any problems with it so far (so no surgery at this stage). I guess I'm thinking about all the other things that do come up.

What do you think? Worth it? The premium I would have to pay would be $451 per year which of course would go up as she got older.

If you have Medibank Private Pet Insurance - how have they been with claims?

Any thoughts from those who do NOT have pet insurance?

Just wanted to add that we would only take it out for our dog. Cat is 7 years old and really hasn't caused us a days trouble. I think I've spent more on our dog in the 4 months she has been with us than on my cat in her whole 7 years.

Edited by ZaliGirl

HI there,

We are considering taking out pet insurance. I've looked at a few and liked how Medibank Private have a no excess option. Our pup has been diagnosed with HD so that obviously won't be covered but we have decided to manage it as she doesn't have any problems with it so far (so no surgery at this stage). I guess I'm thinking about all the other things that do come up.

What do you think? Worth it? The premium I would have to pay would be $451 per year which of course would go up as she got older.

If you have Medibank Private Pet Insurance - how have they been with claims?

Any thoughts from those who do NOT have pet insurance?

Just wanted to add that we would only take it out for our dog. Cat is 7 years old and really hasn't caused us a days trouble. I think I've spent more on our dog in the 4 months she has been with us than on my cat in her whole 7 years.

Hey,

I have my younger girl with Medibank and have for 6 months now, I have only just put my first claim in this week so will get back to you about how the claims go. The only downside to Medibank is they do not cover any alternative therapies ie: acupuncture, chiropractic, physio etc so if these are things you want to have the option of claiming back might be worth a look into Pet Plan as they do cover those things. I take me dogs to a chiropractic vet (not for routine visits but for regular chiro work and because one has HD) and cannot claim anything back :rofl:

My older girl has HD too. Do you do any swimming with your girl??

Edited by Keira&Phoenix

$461 sounds like a lot to me. and why will it go up with age? I don't think all insurers charge more as they get older. would be worth checking i'd say. Definitely look at that other thread.

I think i paid $380 for 1 yr. we've already recieved over $800 back through claims with pet insurance australia.

• 3 weeks later...

My vets recommendation is definitely do NOT choose Medibank. The Medibank name was bought by another entity that uses stalling tactics to dismiss claims (such as losing forms sent by both claimants and the vet on multiple occasions and then feeding a different story to each - it was only when the Vet spoke to the claimants where they figured out they were being misled). This has happened on at least 3 occasions with his clients and he says Medibank is the only one that does that.

I would suggest you ask your local vet for their recommendations or rather, whom to avoid.

My vets recommendation is definitely do NOT choose Medibank. The Medibank name was bought by another entity that uses stalling tactics to dismiss claims (such as losing forms sent by both claimants and the vet on multiple occasions and then feeding a different story to each - it was only when the Vet spoke to the claimants where they figured out they were being misled). This has happened on at least 3 occasions with his clients and he says Medibank is the only one that does that.

I would suggest you ask your local vet for their recommendations or rather, whom to avoid.

^^^ This is what happened to me almost word for word. I am still with them as my girl has too many issues that wouldn't be covered if I swapped now. But personally I would not recommend them.

I cant comment on Medibank but I am with Pet Insurance Australia. Dog has been insured 1 year yesterday (it was his 1st birthday present). We have had almost $10,000 of claims and found them generally fantastic to deal with. After all these claims his premiums have gone up to just over $300 per year (with a high excess of $500 per condition per year as I elected when taking out the policy).

I'm with Medibank and haven't had to make a claim yet. On their stalling tactics - can you go into a branch to make a claim?

Nah you have to post everything. I just did it over the Easter period and I had my money back within 10 working days of posting the claim in. Seriously the only issue I had was that one of the vets put the wrong birth date down and they got confused but I called them to see how things were going because I really needed the money back and wanted to make sure there were not any problems and they let me know that had happened and I cleared it up with them over the phone.

Edited by Keira&Phoenix

We are with medibank and recently one of our dogs passed away but he required

major car prior to him passing

We struggled with medibank

We have been advised that medibank and most of the pet insurance

companies are all owned by one major player etc

So was told to use PetPlan or pet insurance australia as these are

both independently owned

both independently owned

This is true - Most if not all Pet insurance in Australia is underwritten by Hollard. Be sure to read the small print. And check out the policies on ticks, in particular Paralysis tick - even though they all have the same underwriter, some have not updated and do not cover for paralysis tick and treatment can get a bit costly for that.

Does Medibank have third party liability? Pet Plan does. Remember that you (or whoever is walking your dog) are accountable for their actions so if your dog is at an offleash park and runs in the road and causes an accident, you are personally liable for the damage (eg if the driver can't work, the bill could be hundreds-of-thousands of dollars). This is why I like Pet Plans cover because I'm covered for this (as long as I'm obeying the law and not letting them run off leash in on leash areas etc).

both independently owned

This is true - Most if not all Pet insurance in Australia is underwritten by Hollard. Be sure to read the small print. And check out the policies on ticks, in particular Paralysis tick - even though they all have the same underwriter, some have not updated and do not cover for paralysis tick and treatment can get a bit costly for that.

We we also told the ppl at medibank etc that access your claim arent anything.

Probably not even a vet nurse

We did get our claim back but it was hard work

My dog had been rushed to Animal Referal Hospital and we ended up losing him

but they are really really anal about pwork

They wanted all results and tests in writing and we had to get his history from

our local vet and they still questioned procedures and tests

He had a heart effusion and they found he was riddled with cancer in his spleen and liver

12hrs at ARH cost $2500 but he was our boy. It is 7wks ago today since we said goodbye to him

I got angry at Medibank, I ask them would they like his ashes to prove he died and that he

was so ill

Edited by Bartok

When posting paperwork for claims into any pet insurance company always use registered post.

Over many years I have been with 3 different pet insurance companies and when I've phoned to enquire about the progress of my claim, each of these companies on at least one occasion claimed they had not received any papework from me. When I told them I have the registered post receipt proving they did indeed receive the paperwork they usually find it in record quick time, usually before the end of our phone conversation.

My insured Cavalier boy needed laminectomy surgery for a ruptured disc. They eventually paid out after 3 months and many phone calls from me. When I said I would be contacting ombudsman if they kept delaying reimbursement they paid half the claim and after more phone calls they finally paid the other half of it.

When the policy was due for renewal not only did the monthly premium increase but they informed me that if there are any future spinal issues of any description I will be responsible for 60% of the total cost plus the $250 excess I pay for each claim.

We use Pet Insurance Australia for all our dogs. The youngest is 16 weeks, middle is 3 years and oldest is 7 years old. I believe dogs need to be insured before they turn 8 or 9 years old or they are uninsurable by most Pet Insurers. The eldest is no more expensive to insure than the younger ones but her excess is higher due to the expectation of typical elderly dog health issues.

:)